Beacon footfall: is it too low? poll

People are playing much less. The other side of the pre-live, and also having a test server, is that players can see stuff coming and do not want to work in vain for nothing, knowing it will all change. Like the last few updates. Lately i’m lucky to see 15 people on total at one time. footfall has died because so many are taking breaks for various reasons.

I’ve built so much, and kinda burning my self out. And I haven’t even built as much as a lot of you. I also feel like i’m wasting so much time on something that will all disappear soon. I’m so ready for the game to go live so I can honestly invest into it more. Realistically there is only 3 common reasons for most people to play right now. In no particular order:

1. They want recognition of builds that might be left on the old planets when it goes live.

2. They haven’t tired themselves out bug hunting for the devs. Lets be honest, pre release players = the guinea pigs that are doing the labors of being test subjects for the devs for the hopes of the pre-release goodies promised. If the game is good and the devs to, then people stick around and find joy where ever they can. But since this is a form of labor, it too can become stale. And players do not want to tire out on something before it even goes live.

3. The game , even in it’s pre stage, is fun as hell. It’s still enjoyable, relaxing, fresh style etc. But with most of the changes, which I like, is the realization of “the work/grind” just became a lot more in some areas. I do not want to spoil myself rotten, and get way to use to things before live, and not be happy later. I want to enjoy my grind, and not hate the idea of it before I even start it after live. So breaks are needed for our labor of love, Boundless.

2 Likes

Right now, I’m kinda hovering around and waiting for something new that interests me.

As someone who’s almost purely interested in building, the chisel update back in fall was enough to bring me back from a long but similar hiatus. Now that that’s out of my system, I’m suffering from some of the fatigue you’re talking about… Waiting on new props or new worlds or really anything that breathes new life into the game from a construction/decoration standpoint.

And then I just had my birthday and got showered with games, and now the Steam Summer Sale is upon us… It’s hard to stay focused with all of these shiny objects buzzing around me.

1 Like

I did some testing a while back with some friends. Not sure if it’s changed but. It looks like you only get footfall from the same person every 4 days or so. Also if you have multiple beacons in the same settlement, you’ll only get footfall from a person on ONE of your beacons within that settlement every 4 days. People on my friends list without permissions on the beacon were able to give me footfall.

1 Like

I was sure I saw devs saying somewhere it’s every 24 hours a player generates footfall for the same beacon.

not sure, but that definitely was not the case immediately before the “road” patch. I had 9 characters visiting my 3 character’s plots every day for 2 weeks straight. Only got footfall every 3-4 days from each.

Yeah, there has been a Change from the footfall based on the prestige of the town to the prestige of the beacon. but the prestige stages of the towns is still the same as before, that means less footfall. if you want to get footfall to 60c as i had in most beacons, now i need 1,25 million prestige in each beacon.
< 10000 N/A 0
10000 Outpost 20
50000 Hamlet 30
250000 Village 40
1250000 Town 60
6500000 City 80
32000000 Great City 100

that’s true there is a lot of players playing now days but there is still the big change as i said before

its not that simple, it way more complex, As simoyd said we tested it

1 Like

When I brought up the issue around being able to pay for plots and them being linked to footfall and creating a P2W scenario a large group of members in this community said my ideas were a waste and not important because of FOOTFALL WASN’T IMPORTANT and so small that it didn’t matter in the long run of earning income and the game in general.

So from my perspective people sitting here complaining now that they are not getting enough footfall is actually funny. It shows how those people are only interested in their side of things and don’t care to make a balanced game where the economy is robust enough that “players running over my beacon” isn’t my main income method.

I get that it was important in the game at one point but now we shouldn’t be focusing on efforts on it and instead pushing the developers to create a real economy mechanism that can support the game in the long run.

1 Like

Both points are actually valid.

1. Footfall is less than 0.3% of my basic income - it needs a boost badly. And that’s with 2000 of the busiest plots in the game.
  2. Footfall is so insignificant that even if they double it to 0.6% it won’t create a P2W scenario.

I also refer your comments elsewhere about the game needing a real economy - where it already has a brilliant one according to me - a full-time economy player. I would happily compare the merits of the current economical faucets, sinks, reserve system, etc if you wish to actually evaluate it in economical terms.

I think you have a serious bias against the current economy without being cognizant of it - maybe take a step back and look at it more objectively?

1 Like

Well unfortunately people couldn’t actually take the main points I had around P2W which were clearly outlined in my first post and kept moving it to footfall because they didn’t want to have an ability to have a conducive conversation around the issue of plot purchases.

The P2W theory I presented was not based on footfall. That was one of the aspects but so many people are subconsciously focused on it and value it that they can only talk about it and nothing else that would counter or show the need of it being removed. So their own support of it counters the comments they make on it being not important to them.

Well that is pretty close to a fully personal attack that I do not appreciate at any level. I have been nothing but kind and respectful to you and even recently reached out to ensure you understood that.

If anyone has taken 2 minutes to actually understand my posts from an objective level they would clearly see that my communication style and primarily the way I word almost all of my posts do not come from a subjective view but instead talk about a greater context and objective opinion.

Honestly, how dare you say that I cannot speak on any level of economy or business or finances. You have absolutely no idea of who I am or what I do. You should probably be the one that takes the step back and do some personal reflection on why you are so defensive of it and would choose to pick the set of words you did to try to discredit and demean me.

Seems a cooling off period is required here… I’ll unlock again when you’ve reduced the heat to a low simmer

5 Likes

Play nice! No stirring and victim cards, just open discussion please.

1 Like

4 Likes

YEAH
i as waiting for this to be re-opened :smiley:

@Xaldafax that can’t be taken as a “fully personal attack”, if someone think you just don’t have enough or the full experience to express an objective opinion, he can think and say it as consequences of what you said, his wording is still respectfull

you felt offended by the concept, not by the words…

he also said

wich is absolutely and totally true; i have now 3 characters, all of them are involved in economical process, everytime i play it’s economy related even if i do not think at it at all, whatever i craft it’s either to build, for creative porpouse, or to be in a shopstand, whatever i gather/hunt/mine will be then used some way, and in the end will be sold or used by me :stuck_out_tongue:

@OmniUno footfall in your case doesn’t even matter, as it is something that affect more on people at the beginning and mostly on places where there is a casual passage, like if: when you earn 0 coins (except via objective+feats) and you get 20 with footfall, that 20 is your 100% (or 10% if you got 200 coins with an obj/feat).

My opinion is:

• footfall doesn’t affect economy
    infact it could be totally removed and wouldn’t affect the economy at all; even if you get 1000 coins daily with it, you don’t buy anything worth with 1000 coins.

as @Stretchious said is also a way to reward people who actually gives services, like portal seekers or other people who give public access to his portal hub

I am not sure the system is working in a good way, and not because it is high or low… simply i belive it should be a way to 1) inject fresh coins in the system; 2) let beginners get some free money to warp here and there and buy low-mid tiers stuff; 3) rewards for building providing services

suggestions
Feats to send people around

1. “Wonder seeker” feats > Tier 1: visit 30 buildings with prestige>60’000; Tier 2: visit 30 buildings with prestige>180’000; Tier 3: 30 buildings > 500’000; Tier 4 > 1’500’000
    It must scale quickly and higly to avoid it to be accomplished in on e city.
  2. “Rampage on regions”, feat to be parallel to the actual explorer feat, but advanced: gather all kind of surface resources on that region (trunks, foliages, shrooms, plants, seeds, boulders) to be done on 25 regions; T1 on planets lvl 1; T2 on planets lvl 2; T3 on planets lvl 3; etc…
  3. “Under the planet’s skin” (or “Tremors”), feat, gather all underground resource of the planet, Tier 1 on lvl 1 planet and so on; including gems, cave mashrooms, etc)

footfall coin reward to be multiplied by the total number of people passing by as per follow:
(numbers are there as example AND scaled as per the actual number of players going around)
take the full system as it works now and ADD:

p.1) once 15 players (account based, not characters) entered a certain beacon in a time frame of 24h all the next footfall rewards within the same day is multiplied by 1.2 (so if you get hitted by the 15th person at 10pm, the bonus will last for only 2 hours); this is for the shops.

p.2) how many times the same player pass by: if a player pass by the same beaconed area 10 times, it will provide footfall a second time (PLAYER, not CHARACTER; account based)+(doesn’t count as a +1 toward the p.1) count); this is for service providers
for both p.1) and p.2) characters who have permissions are not counted

this is to separate or give a separate path to “only prestige” buildings and “shops” and “service providing buildings”

sorry for the long post :heart:

1 Like

With how item sales tax is a thing in the game, without Footfall the money supply might slowly just evaporate. Cause if people aren’t visiting places to generate that coin on other people’s beacons it’s just going to get very problematic years after 1.0.

On another side of Footfall, we don’t have a large enough player base to look at in how Footfall affects the economy to know whether or not the coin rewarded for people visiting your location should be increased or not.

Honestly think it’s fine the way it is until other coin generating features are in the game.

1 Like

Forgot to write:

i would add also that if nobody pass by a beaconed area, the higher prestige beacon of that player (and only this one) will passively produce a footfall as per prestige rank (as if a person passed by)

1 Like

Just an apology from my side - I did not mean to offend anyone. My post had exactly the opposite effect as intended - was merely stating my opinion. Will be more careful in the future.

5 Likes

Considering I was called out in a public forum, it would have been nice to actually see my name here in a public forum as well instead of just directing it the public which were not the ones that posted about being offended. But, you did reach out to me via personal message to apologize, which I appreciate. So I don’t have a problem that your apology here addressed “anyone” instead of me directly.

@Tarahyumaro I don’t know you well enough to determine why you felt such a need to respond to my exchange with Omni. I don’t know how old you are or what country / culture / background you come from. So I will adjust my wording in a more generic nature to help and try to come off as respectful as I can since your history of life is of no relevance to me in this specific post.

The two posts between Omni and myself in relation to the personal components were none of your business and it really is not appropriate to put yourself in the middle of them. Secondly, you have no right to tell another person what they can and cannot feel. To do so is arrogant and egotisical.

If I had asked you for an opinion then you could have weighed in. But, I did not so you really should have stayed out of the middle of it. In my view, I have ultimate say because parts of the post were directed to me and no one else because he said “you.”

Had you messaged me personally, then I would have responded personally. But, you chose to post this in a public forum and then define how I am looking at things incorrectly and shouldn’t have been offended. Due to this, I could either let this drop or respond publicly. Since your statements to me are not correct, I will respond here.

In response to what you said to me directly, I get what you are trying to say but you are not correct in how I view the world. It was the selection of words that were not respectful not the concept. So you have it backward. I was not offended by the overlying concept of what Omni was trying to share, I was offended by his direct selection of words that he picked to define me.

He said -

1. “if you wish to actually evaluate it in economical terms” - Using the word “actually” is the one thing that communicated that all my previous conversations I had around economy were complete wrong and were not valid.
  2. “I think you have a serious bias against the current economy without being cognizant of it” - Here is another statement that says I do not know what I am talking about in relation to “economy.” This further supports his view that I don’t know anything about this games economy or possibly business in general.
  3. “maybe take a step back and look at it more objectively” - Here he is telling me that he knows best and that in a third mention I am not looking at the economy model around the game correctly. And, he is saying I am not objective, when with almost everything in my life is looking at the world holistically and objectively because of the job I am in and the life I lead.

Had Omni said the following then there would have been no “personal offense” because it was not directed “directly at me” or “defining who I am” or “defining how I am looking at thing” which were key to the problem -

1. “I have completely different views of how the economy works, I’d love to debate them with you.”
  2. “From many of your past posts, it feels or comes off to me that there is maybe an underlying bias.”
  3. “Your posts aren’t feeling objective, can we clarify a few things so I can understand your view better.”

This is the basic communication style and word choice that would have caused a different response from me. The reason for this is the underlying message and the overt word choice shows that the person is sharing how they are feeling and that they are trying to understand the other persons view – not telling them what to do, calling them out as not being cognizant, etc.

The message boards are a communication style of “written word” so the words a person picks in response is the most important thing. We have no tone, facial expressions, or anything else to understand where the person is coming from. The only other thing is relationship and the ability to see their other posts to infer how they view the world and the type of person the might be. I hold people accountable to the words they use especially when I am brought up into the post or responded to.

You are more than welcome to have your own view of what Omni said and what my response to him meant. I am sure every other person reading this has their own subjective view and opinion about it. Personally, I would have let the whole thing drop had you not made the decision to respond to my post directly.

The primary reason I responded was in hopes that people on this forum take more time to find better words to convey their meaning and that they stop trying to define what other people view or how they are wrong. Instead moving our conversations into a more constructive format and respectful tone.

As a final point, I did consider why Omni would have said that, and I feel that my usage of the term “real economy” is a poor choice of words and should be changed. It doesn’t show respect for the economy that does exist in the game and certainly doesn’t convey the larger feature robust economy I see that we should have. So I will try my best to not use that again.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: … .

8 Likes