Beacon Persistence

Yeah basically, it is supposed to give the owner some time to react to his beacons decay without loosing it instantly

1 Like

@Thorbjorn42gbf, @Bokke is probably replying to the below.

1 Like

I need to elaborate I guess. The chest and its materials would only be saved if certain conditions are met. It would only apply to chest inside of beacons when they are destroyed because of no fuel or however many months it takes for them to go away depending on how the devs choose to control that. This would get rid of both your concerns and clexarews concerns i believe. You would still need to place it in a beacon to protect it and u canā€™t just let regen get rid of it and then respawn it cause it would take a long time for it to come into effect.

1 Like

Place chest inside small beacon with little fuel
Keep gathering stuff
Go back put more stuff inside beacon
Go home
Run around prettyfying your house
A few days later you beacon die
Chest despawns
Make the chest respawn

:wink:

1 Like

Personally I like there being some timer, say 1-2 months where the beacon is saved, and if you log in during that time the timer is reset.
IMO it would be interesting if some sort of petition service could be put in place so that say someone is stopped playing for a min amount of time (say 1 month or so) and another player comes along and wants that area they could just petition for the beacon to be removed, where an automatic email would be sent to the player who controls the beacon asking if they want to give up the beacon, and if there is no response in like 2-4 weeks then the beacon is removed. Obv there is problems with this idea, lots of possibilities for abuse, but if for some reason you canā€™t play the game for a month or 2 you wont come back to find everything gone because you didnā€™t have the time to play.

2 Likes

well It was my impression that you were limited on how many beacons you could place in a world and I doubt any beacon will only last a few days. I feel like without fuel it should at least last a few weeks. And if it last that long and limited on beacons, would it really be worth leaving your stuff thereā€¦

Iā€™m still against this for Thorā€™s reasoning and because I personally enjoy finding abandoned places and scavenging what they left behind. I really think thereā€™s a nice opportunity here for them to make the explorer profession actually have something to do (with my three staged approach).

Can someone who wants Beacons to last longer than 3 months tell me why? Like provide some solid reasoning and logic instead of just ā€œb/c I want it this way?ā€. Iā€™d like something to discuss and debate that isnā€™t just peopleā€™s opinions.

Edit: Thor has discussed multi-month fieldtrips (wish we were so lucky in the US) and devastating natural disasters so far. But for the former, Iā€™ve already given my workaround - have friends maintain your beacons in your absence or hire someone to do so if youā€™re a solo player. For the latter, I think youā€™ll have bigger issues to deal with than some virtual items if youā€™re without the means of getting online for more than a month.

3 Likes

maybe save a percent of stuff? I understand what you mean but scavengers would be able to still get all the blocks they used to build with and maybe if u have that skill tree you can get more from their chest then someone without that skill tree.

edit: i am fine with losing all your stuff if you havenā€™t played for several months, was just trying to better explain the idea i gave previously. There are times in games where I want to come back after not playing for a long time because of new content or w/e but i understand if u do lose the stuff.

2 Likes

I do like your idea, but I think 2 month or 10 weeks instead of 1 month =D

2 Likes

Why so long?

Depends on how much stuff you gather really if you fill up a single beacon with chest you can have 511 chest blocks (or shelves) that is quite a lot of material to move otherwise ^.^

I think it will allow people who play it more casually to go away doing other stuff without worrying for their beacon disapearing. Mentioning again helping in poor countries or generally just traveling (On of our families friends went backpacking in africa kinda hard takign your computer with you.)

But this is again why I support the fuel system, people can dedicate a week before traveling to secure their stuff by gathering fuel while normal people will probably only have a decay time of a month or something

Nah only 4 weeks ^.^ and it was an answer for the 1 month proposal.

1 Like

I knew you were going to reply with the traveling thing so I edited my post right as you were making this haha

1 Like

Weā€™re pretty lucky to get a day a month. Like insanely lucky.

2 Likes

Yep. Big trips like that take prep time. Saving your Boundless beacons could easily be included in that prep time. If you frequently take extended breaks, invent in the potential skill tree to have access to greater fuel reserves. I want to know what issues new people to this conversation have against that idea.

1 Like

True, but the 1 month is only the time limit before any petition can be made, and if the petition process then takes 1 month to complete then at the very earliest the person would have 2 months to log in. Thatā€™s basically the worst case scenario, you could be gone for 3-4 months without anyone wanting you plot of land (unless it was some really prime location) and you would still be warned almost a month before it is deleted so as long as you check your email it would work out fine.

Not sure how it would work out if say someone petitioned your beacon to be removed and then you logged in, would the petition just be deleted, put on hold or completely not affected. As I said in my previous post my solution (and many others for that matter) still need to be fleshed out a bit more before they could function seamlessly without anybody getting the short end of the stick.

2 Likes

I think this is sort of the problem. People expect no penalties for taking breaks or not taking responsibility for their beacons. But with any sort of upkeep system if you arenā€™t taking responsibility, youā€™re going to face consequences. I (and some others) donā€™t think we should be protecting people from these consequences for multiple months while their beacons cover resources/scenery for the people actually playing he game. But people arguing for 6+ months seem to want to just be able to take a break and come back to their work without taking responsibility for it during that break. Which is a valid opinion. Just not one I agree with.

TLDR: Someone is going to get hurt if we implement non-permanent beacons. The questions are, how long should it take for beacons to deteriorate, how should they deteriorate, should they deteriorate at the same rate for all builds/players?

3 Likes

Well, I have played many online games and I know eventualy I will quit to play another gameā€¦ But even if i havent played a game for a long time I always return to see how the game has change (updates) or how my old friends areā€¦ When I log in again since a while and I see my character and my progress I start to apreciate what i have done and somehow I fall in love with the game againā€¦ Now, picture I came back and i realise that all my work and my house is goneā€¦ after gathering the best resources i ever found and used them to build the most beautiful pice of art that is my houseā€¦ start from the beggining because my beacon got expired or worst, other player had taken control of my space with my resources that I suffered to collectā€¦ it wont makes me want to play again everā€¦

5 Likes

I really think blueprints are an important part of games like these. Make it so that you can blueprint w/e you have in your beacon and then be able to recreate it in the future. You would have to invest new material into making it again but at least you wont have to try to remember how you designed it. Empyrion has a system where you drag resources into the blueprint and once you have enough, you can paste it back into the world after a certain amount of ā€œconstructionā€ time based on what you are making. Other games like creativerse and SE allow you to place a transparent version and then place the appropriate blocks where they were.

As far as keeping some of the resources from when you last played, I have already been discussing possible ideas of keeping some of the resources but they have possible exploits if transporting resources is something that will be difficult. Maybe if there was some way to limit how many stacks get saved or maybe you have to respawn the chest in the same general area that it was destroyed in.

edit: if you can respawn it in same general area, it would have to be large enough to still leave space in case others have put beacons in the area.

2 Likes

That brings up a good topic as I was not even thinking about different rates of deterioration. Maybe there should be a function that allows you to upgrade a beacon so that it lasts longer, say it has a starting lifespan of 1 week and then as you upgrade it the lifespan increases.

Whatever happens I just donā€™t want to run into the same situation as many Minecraft servers find themselves in when people claim land and then never play, so you run looking for land and you canā€™t find any because some guy who hasnā€™t played for months has already claimed it.

2 Likes