Beacons force expired with Gleam Club still active by an Admin

This conversation keeps focusing on “will empty beacons be removed without warning?”

But see @Saalt’s post of our private thread where, even when pushed repeatedly by multiple big players, I declined to remove empty beacons by absent players. Not building in a beacon isn’t a crime.

The issue here is about griefing.

The beacon was removed because it was placed to grief another player - there was no other purpose to the beacon. (I don’t doubt the OP will rebute this but it’s our job to review these claims and be as fair and as consistent as possible.)

21 Likes

I agree, that needs to be improved.

Do you have any evidence that this is what happened in this case?

“I’m innocent, I swear!”, isn’t that what most people in prison say?

I think we’re missing a lot of information here actually…

But we are not allowed to name and shame for good reason so I also would not find it ok if the devs now publicly tell us what the OP has done wrong to warrant this action.

I think we just need to relax, James said that he AND Leah looked at the plots and their conclusion was that they were plotted to grief. We should trust that this is indeed the case since I highly doubt the devs would do something like this when they feel it’s not violating the rules…

7 Likes

It is none of our business what this player may or may not have done wrong . That is between the Devs and the two parties involved . That being said I truly believe that no players beacons/assets should be removed with out prior contact . We should all have emails attached to our accounts there is no good reason why they can’t send a copy of said report ticket to each player involved BEFORE action is taken .

7 Likes

There is a lot of talk about ‘warnings’ or communicating before plots are removed.

If the situation has the Dev’s taking action then they have supported information. Likely information they can’t share. If they see in chat logs you saying “I will put my plots where I want, I will ruin your city and burn it to the ground! I will grief you to the day I die you (swears and racial slurs)” <- then you are griefing and your plots can be removed.

We all play a lot of games. When we have CLEARLY violated the TOS how many of those other games gingerly reach out to you for your side of the story?

none that I play. You just get chat banned/banned/30day banned and a message pops up when you log in.

If James took action it is because he saw that via their methods the person was griefing. If you are not griefing, this doesn’t affect you.

I personally don’t expect to be reached out to when I break the rules to ask ‘my side’ of why I broke the rules. I would expect the situation would be fixed.

It is clear at this point that there was supporting evidence, the devs talked to eachother about it and with the impacted party.

So far all we have from the person who had their beacons removed is: “You took my beacons no reason”

that doesn’t add up. Perhaps the person bringing this up in the public eye is upset they lost their beacons and not seeing the situation clearly. Or doesn’t remember when they said in chat their 'beacons will grief this person hahaha" and so think they shouldn’t be punished :stuck_out_tongue:

< Shouldn’t of got caught > and < Did nothing wrong > are very different.

Just my 2c.

9 Likes

Thank you for this key clarification @james

This should settle most fears that have arisen.

6 Likes

I don’t agree with this policy. The fault is on the player who didn’t plot holes in his plotted area. I wrote about that some time ago here:

And my opinion is still the same, developers shouldn’t do this kind of thing, if they want something enforced it should be coded into game rules, programatically not allowing those plots to be occupied by another player would be the correct solution.

As I said I don’t care what player says in chat, it should be regulated independently of player’s inventory including plots.
The only case where I would encourage is when player is surrounded with another beacon. Though, I’m on the edge as seeing that as part of the game too.
For me owning part of land in this game is kinda sacred and no matter what you do should not result in your chosen land being removed. If player does something bannable then just ban/delete account altogether.

4 Likes

I forgot to plot some holes once. Someone plotted it for me to gain FF. I had to wait it out. As always.

My house on besevrona had an empty beacon plot right in the middle. Most likely a mine marker. I reported everyday for months. I waited for it to expire 6 months later.

The list goes on and on. I will be honest… I dont feel like I can get help when needed. So I just stopped asking.

6 Likes

First you ask me to distrust the alleged criminal who has not even had the right to defend himself, and then you ask me to trust the judge in the case when they do not even explain what they have considered as grief.

I think here’s the problem, it should be the other way around: the accusing party proving that the alleged culprit is guilty, the defendant having the right to defense and the judge telling the reason for their decisions clearly and transparently. To say that it has caused grief without explaining the reasons does not explain anything, it is not transparent. And much less if it has not been previously notified.

For me it is important, it is about my rights as a consumer. I am paying for a subscription service in this game to be sure that I will keep my beacons even if I forget about them and I have not built for a long time, if that service does not protect me from having the beacons removed without notice and without an opportunity for replication or defense, then that security that I thought I had when paying for the service is gone, it is not real, and I do not see the reason to continue paying for that service or encourage this type of business practices with my money, it is my only power as a consumer.

It is already difficult to solve the error, at least in my opinion, of not having previously notified and left a defense to one of the parties. If that had happened, I would not have cared about the reasons and would not ask to explain it as I do now. The reason for not explaining the case by the anti-bulling rules of naming, I do not think they apply because it has been the OP that has brought it to the forums, not the developers. Developers should give explanations now if they don’t want to see their credibility for the floors, at least it’s my opinion.

1 Like

I want to apologize to everyone for the aggressiveness of my response above.

The person that reported darkartz’ plots is an habitual harasser of the Boundless community, and I incorrectly let it get under my skin.

Again, I apologize for my response.

-General Shogun

4 Likes

Since you pointed me explicit above, i got your appologize :wink:

At Aqua embassy we have a player that have around 400 plots laid down like spaghetti.

Prevented town to grow properly early on… now the olace its just dust in the wind.

I talked about this with you @james way back, but i still think its at least at the Grey area how that spaghetti roll is made…
Im not mad… anymore… there was a time when i was cause i was more into for this game.

4 Likes

Thanks Kralith :grinning: you rock :heart_eyes:

1 Like

the game is not over, the developers can change whatever they want, it puts it clearly in the specifications, until the game is not officially finished, they can retouch everything they want, before buying a game, ground, Inform me before and 2 years ago when I bought it, it was already specified, therefore, as much as I do not like the changes, they have every right to change them and make the game more comfortable for everyone, I am satisfied with how they solve these problems of the beacons, like other updates have not pleased me, but until they finish the game is what it touches, if you want them to change nothing, wait for the game to end and then you can complain

1 Like

I would like to see proof that these beacons were griefing. You can start replying to my DMs anytime @james . I guarantee you cannot provide any evidence of griefing.

I am not complaining, nor am I saying that I will leave the game or that I feel cheated by the game or by its decisions as a company. I’m just asking for transparency.

If that transparency does not come, I do not renew the subscription again and that’s it. For me it is not a problem, cost savings in my personal finances. The only thing that would change is that I would stop investing in the game and in the company. It is not a complaint, it is a warning as a user and consumer. There is no more than that.

For my part in the game, it would mean that I have to go to my beacons more regularly to feed them.

NOOOO, with this I hope that it is clear to you, that you will not delete anything, as long as you do not disturb other players, block them with your plots or surround them, they will never touch you, in this case, I am sure that the affected , I was bothering another player and that’s why they deleted him, lose him, from experience, he already happened to a friend, who has never played again, but that is the decision of each one, many will never leave him and for a few trolls that they do not play and complain, I don’t give it the slightest importance

That sounds familiar to situations I’ve observed in other games.

In Ark Survival Evolved, on an official PvE server, I have seen players purposefully build next to and up against others who have their structures placed there far longer than their neighbor.

A newer, younger neighbor reported our neighbor. My tribemate told me that our neighbor has been on the serer since day one, far longer than the reporter, whose name I wont say in respect of people (and because it was a bit inappropriate of a name). The GM that handled the report deleted my tribemate’s friend structures that were also protecting rare resources (and we lost some of those resource spawn areas as that reporter built over them). The reporter boldly declared that they report people because it is fun, and proceeded to build into the area of the person he reported.

And from my experiences with that individual who filed the reports, nothing but malicious intent and cruelty spewed out of him… And then he started to build near my base, and threaten me verbally with words of reporting my tribe.

I got the heck out of there, terrified, because if he successfully got my friend’s friends structures removed with that tactic, I wasnt going to be his next victim.

Plenty more servers and places to build.

But this seems all too familiar tactic in land claiming on games. Using a GM to get the land you want… I dont know if this thread here is a case of that, but it can and does happen elsewhere.

I hope GM’s are able to look at the beacons to see whom placed first.

The lack of knowing who placed first in this Ark situation left the GM, whom is only human, to make a best guess on whom was griefing whom. If there was a record of who placed the structures first in Ark, it would have shown the reporter was the griefer, and not his victim.

But I cant know what it is for this situation.
I just know it happens. People grief, people make mistakes.
People are human.

2 Likes

Hostile behavior over empty beacons won’t help the case. If there weren’t any loots in it I’d just let it go. I’ve been going back and removing stray beacons of my own when I can. It’s not good for the game to have a bunch of little nothings claimed forever :sweat:

12 Likes

As a guy who played since launch, ive read a few of these kinds of threads in my time here. My personal opinion is, that the devs seem to carry out these sentences with great sensitivity to the problematic issues, that players share their concerns with. The principle of the devs not sharing name nor shame is a principle very dear to me. Players are the worst at figuring out whether a banhammer or a plot deletion is fair or not, as we never have the tools the devs have for discerning whether a player has a case against another or not. I’m sorry for OPs loss, but whether he meant to grief or not, the plots were deemed griefing another player. I can absolutely live with that, as I would absolutely accept my fate, should i ever be in the receiving end of a deletion of my plots.

I genuinely care more about the devs going to great lengths to preserve contents of plots, moreso than i care for said plots locations. I may not have been griefing on purpose, but I trust the devs to make that call, based on the impact on settlements, or just one affected player, should i ever face such a situation myself.

I dont appreciate the tribalism on these boards. People back their people and theyll back them in the face of lack of information, which doesnt lend itself well to fairness, nor justice. The only way to ensure a good space in the community, is for us to trust the devs to make unbiased decisions.

Im not a blind fanboy either - if we find examples of injustice, favoritism, nepotism or anything else proving without a shred of doubt, that there was foul play, we should criticize the dev team vigorously, for a lack of integrity.

I just havent personally experienced such lack of integrity yet, which leads me to believe, that this dev team is struggling to keep their integrity intact, which I appreciate.

10 Likes

Nothing to do with the devs my friend, I bowed to the moaning