Block reflection / Graphics / Rendering etc

@QuimbyBoundless, what are the coordinates of the location on the world?

Do you have a link to that post?

Yes once, a quite long time ago at this point.

It’s not really the same issue in that post tho. That topic is about refined being other color than its previous rock and stone. My problem with refined is the fact that after like 15-20 blocks it loses its texture completely due to reflection or something.

@vdragon will PM you coords when I get home :+1:

It also addresses the reflective/lighting issue, and the dev there goes in to it being an issue with the lighting system they used.

The way I read the dev responses in that post is that the lighting issue is the cause for the very bright biomes/atmospheres on planets and the insane reflection we get from the meta rocks/stones/decoration.

Part of the post seemed to address the exact concern with a different symptom.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe you are right, I hope you are :+1:

I believe op is referring to the behavior of the engine reverting to per-vertex lighting with no per-pixel specular/normals/emissive at around 24m regardless of settings. It’s an optimisation, though one I feel is not worth it as it stands and may well get removed when I have spare time to address it.

11 Likes

Totally going to build you a statue somewhere.

3 Likes

Gonna assume this wasn’t for me :sweat_smile:

Fantastic.

I know this may be impossible to answer, but gonna give it a shot anyway. Any rough idea of when this could possibly happen? A month, half a year, 2020 etc?

Sorry! Thought I had replied to @lucadeltodecso. :sweat_smile:

But can you make me one as well? :thinking:

Entirely possible!

Looks so weird. Completely looks like the block is missing texture :<

1 Like

Wood has similar issues with being too shiny, in my opinion. Especially when it fades in the distance.

1 Like

I solved a lot of LOD issues by turning off the FPS target altogether.

2 Likes

I had something similar when I moved from a 4k 50 inch monitor to a 1920x1080 50 inch monitor, and found it being the vsync throwing it off.

I’ve implemented it now as an extra option, but it is tied into the large set of rendering changes whose ETA is not known yet (Too much effort to do it in both branches allowing an earlier release from the live game version, since the rendering changes branch has so many shader changes to begin with)

7 Likes

12 Likes

Thank you so much!

No rush, just feels good knowing it’s being dealt with!

Based on pictures, I think a lot of builds are int for a very nice treat!

1 Like