Bomb Mining Nerf, Not all Doom and Gloom

this method is really slow to gather source.
With 9 block hammer u can destroy 9 block really quick.
You don’t even require bomb to do that.
When you can 1 hit block with 9 block diamond hammer.
Why do u use the copper bomb to slow ur speed lol

1 Like

Maybe because new players won’t have access to 9 block diamond hammers…

3 Likes

You said this last night too @LittlePittle via Discord. Hmm I am just not certain.

My problem is that:

In order to 1 shot blocks on Tier 6 I need all my points maxed for hammer/power/power epic and a Titanium or better hammer forged with AOE (lvl 4 not lvl 5) AND a damage boon at a high level.

Without the AOE 4 + Damage Boon, then you will be 3 - 5 hitting blocks to get your 9 destroyed (depending on which hammer you use).

I have been forging a lot. Getting AOE 4 and Damage boon high seems too wasteful to me. If AOE gets an unlucky smack of EXP it will push it to AOE 5 and be useless. Which, for me with limited resources, doesn’t seem like a bet I want to make…ESPECIALLY with a gem hammer.

Conversely, it is a pretty safe bet for me to make a strong Iron Hammer and bet on it being AOE 4…and I don’t have to worry about getting the damage boon up. I can just buy Titanium bombs, throw them, smack them with iron and get all the resources.

I don’t doubt that technically if I have an AOE 4 Diamond Hammer with Max Damage Boon, that it would be faster…yes , dear goodness I would hope so! That is the current top tier item, it should be faster…lol

But I think I could keep pace, much cheaper, with an iron hammer with AOE 4 and some unforged bombs.

I only mined yesterday and today and got my mass craft for Diamonds…so it works at least enough for me. However, we all have different play-styles and approaches.

I’m a noob at forging. But does the AOE hammer only break the blocks in front of me? Or will it break the rocks in the back of the front facing blocks too?

1 Like

Just in front of you!

im still in the new bomb miner phase. i had just started bomb mining pre-nerf.

post nerf im still able to get about 80 to 90 titanium an hour with iron bombs and bomb spec, no forging. what were you bomb vets getting if 80 to 90 is bad?

How is that possible? What planet are you on? Iron bombs on T4 and above take up alot of bombs to break.

On T5 without any bombing skills, it was 4 bombs to clear rock out. Now with 200 durability per bag you get 50 “clearings” per bag.

i didnt do anything special. t5 corrosive world, starts with a B. takes 3 to 4 iron bombs per area. dig 3 down, pilot hole 3 deep n, s , e, w. toss 4 bombs in each pilot hole then 4 bombs at your feet. rinse and repeat to bedrock.

move over 8 blocks, do it again

all with iron hammers and iron bombs

That’s a hardcore strip mining. I like it :star_struck:

Just tested this. This is not true. It took me 6 charges to blow a hole in a T5 planet, Besevrona.

My skills; 4/5 bomb mining, bomb epic skill, 2/5 attributes, 8/8 power

And the fact that I don’t have an energy buff means I can only use 4 charges before having to regen and use the other 1-2 charges to get the hole

definitely takes 3 to 4 iron bombs depending on if they crit. i still toss 4 tho just to be safe. ill check my spec when i get home tomorrow

I realized I temporarily had the protection epic rather than damage epic and have switched over. It is b/w 4-5 charges. But still, a skilless bombing miner wouldn’t be able to do 4 bombs as he claimed above.

ahh i see what you are saying. my miner us 28ish and bomb spec

edit: yes non bomb spec couldnt do that on t5

I do what your doing, but with 4m aoe titanium bombs, 3 shot rocks, clear the resources, center of the left wall mine out 4 blocks and bomb, right wall of first room same thing, and beneath. Still got 140 diamond in 1 1/2 - 2hrs and 600 coal, 500 metals, 100 being titanium

1 Like

Before that grim day, I was able to bomb mine all T5 planets with 8/8 power 5/5 bonus, and x3 epic, using 4 iron bombs per clearance. I had 5m radius… still have… iron bombs, because it was more cost for me to forge iron bombs than to use titanium, because what was needed to forge I had in abundance, titanium on the other hand I did not.

Didn’t try to mine after “The Nerf”, but I assumed it was resources breaking more easily, and not rocks breaking less easily when you use bombs, I might be wrong.

One thing to note, is a 3x3 iron hammer without damage can still take two swings to break blocks after weakening with bombs depending on your bomb setup, and is easier to set up with a near max character.

Edit on a t5 and t6 world. Its something I ran into with my first 3x3 hammer.

I have updated and changed my tactic.

I now just bomb mine and have been having good results!

Using no points in Bombs (just x3 damage) and using forged Titanium bombs for 6m. I was able to get 150 gems per hour-ish. That, of course, was in a hotspot that was not mined recently.

I would throw the bombs, blow up the area, then mine the resources around the outside as they appeared. Because you destroy some resources, it is pretty fast to move from section to section as you look for gems.

I was pretty happy with the outcome. As long as I get over 100 per hour, I feel like I am making enough progress.

5 Likes

If that’s true, then the bomb mining people who have been screaming murder and refused to even try bomb mining … ugh… I don’t even…

Good post. It’s still viable as I’ve tried’to tell people.

All I’ve read is “bomb mining is dead!!!” and I ask, “Have you tried it?” and they say, “NO BECAUSE ITS DEAD!!!”

Nice! Its good to see you making it work. Considering you are blowing up 80-90% of the gems,ore and coal down there with a 6m, would it be more beneficial to use smaller more powerful bombs, like base diamond with damage? Or possibly use it at the edge of an area instead of digging into the wall like we use to? That way a single bomb can blow small areas and you will catch the edge of the seam groupings that would normally be destroyed in a 6m explosion?

The only con I see to this is that the hammer miners are going to be even worse off since it will take us more area to cover with bombs to get our masscrafts leaving less of the hot spots for hammerers… Maybe we can use this as an excuse to get extra t5 and t6 planets! :smiley:

This is a good way to help the mid tier players that are currently behind, while I’ll probably still do this on t5 planets for fun to break up the tink tink. Top end hammer mining So far I haven’t run into anyone else’s hammer tunnels on the t6 planets and I’m still getting 100-250 gems, 3600 ore, and about 900 coal per persistence pie with less than a third of an aoe hammer.

Edited for clarification.

1 Like