Boredom - Is it a thing?

So here I am reading all these negative posts lately about the game being “boring” and I am trying to grasp why it is so boring to some people. Maybe it is because I just started playing in January this year, but in that time I have amassed something like 1300 hours so far so I am very familiar with the game and what it has to offer, so I wanted to run down what I go through and while I am sure many of you know all these events, goals and tasks that I list, but I just wanted to explain what I go through and see if it is the same as everyone else, because right now I am anything but bored.

Group Hunts
I go on group hunts… as many as I can. They are usually quite fun and quite lucrative (trophies, oort, etc.) they can pay the bills while also being a good time. I highly suggest them there are quite a few of them but I regularly attend the Tesseract hunt and @Miaii puts on a great, smooth hunt.

Gleambow Hunts
This is my JAM! I love colors… I can’t get enough of them and gleambow colors being so rare makes these hunts a must for me. I attend these as much as possible as I have built (and continue to build) a huge color storage for every type of block in the game. These hunts are fun and fast and not super expensive to join in on. If you have never been on one I highly suggest it. Lots of oort and lots of colored blocks from all over. @Larky puts on a great hunt and has them every week alternating on Tesseract and one on Valhalla.

Solo Hunting and Gathering
Being in a small guild (3 people) I always gather. I usually gather on a few select planets that are T5-T6. This allows me to gather (beans, orbs, lamella, etc.) and while I gather if a meteor happens to drop I go clear it. This allows me to gather a lot of things all at once and it tends to be lucrative if I don’t just drop it all off in the guild storage. While gathering can be tedious, fighting an occasional meteor helps and throwing on some music really helps too, but by no means is any of this boring to me.

Building
This is one of things many of us love about the game. I took on a challenge of building a huge color storage … while not nearly as big as many of the builds around it is currently at 590 plots and this is only for Gleam, Rock and Wood, but I am in the process of adding storage for foliage, ice, soil, sand…etc. It’s going to be huge and it is one of my long term goals. I have finally built a base of operations where I will do most of my crafting but it too will be an ongoing project as most bases are.

Shops
This is a little touchy subject for me as I still battle on just how useful a shop is, but I want to sell stuff that helps people and not just sell them to request baskets. I have found I really have to undercut to actually make sells quick, but that is not always the case and in the end I am kind of a hoarder of many things so a shop helps me ease that. Needless to say, shops can keep me pretty busy too.

Forging (FU RNG)
Ok this one can replace boredom with anger/frustration if you aren’t careful. I for one have not gotten angry at this, but I have gotten frustrated with this just due to the RNG nature of forging. I got tired of buying all my tools and also just wanted to see what forging was all about to my surprise it really is it’s own little minigame for the most part. I take it as a challenge and while I do feel I can produce what I need pretty much every time now, there is enough RNG there to keep it interesting.

Exploring
Ok this one is awesome …it was one of the things that did and still does amaze me about Boundless. There are tons of builds…EVERYWHERE … I love it. Sometimes they are small and sometimes so huge I am amazed at the time and details and it just inspires me. Even just going to a Sovereign is fun, checking out the colors and gather some blocks that maybe I can only get from that sovereign. Just the biomes can be amazing to look at.

This is just a quick list of things I do … I could probably even make a list of what I do on a daily/weekly basis if need be…but I think this gives a good idea of the many things that I find fun and I suppose if you have done this since the games release you might be a little bored doing it over and over, but for me I could see myself playing this for a long time regardless of any updates.

8 Likes

its not the little things that are boring… its when you need 100 smart stacks of say marble…
so you need like 250k in rock and like 2 chests full of orbs…

so you pull out the shovel and start gathering orbs… at 5.6% and you need like thousands… so you need to gather hundreds of thousands units of the main resource to get the secondary drop.

oh man i hate gathering orbs, the other choice is you burn up grapples and run around on foot… which is just as slow…

if you dont want to get bored then dont build anything big in good materials just spam trash stuff like refined rock

3 Likes

I love building to spend the time, but I wish it’d give more exp than it does - especially with the upcoming changes to levels. I often run out of plots because of it.

That aside though, rare hunt attending is quite alright. I should do more that give sentinel crests to be honest…those are pretty.

1 Like

Yes I get bored with building but I still do it

1 Like

@xyberviri I suppose gathering over and over and over could get very boring. Do you play with a large group/guild? I tend to get orbs very quickly, granted I learned a few spots I love to go. I can’t say I’ve gathered thousands I do know I have a gleam chest or two full of them. While I am not the best builder, I do know I have used some lower-end materials, (brick, some marble, gleam) depending on what you want to call good materials.

@Ocfos running out of plots I thought was going to be a real issue for me and I ran into that roadblock. I then started doing hunts and solo-gathering and clearing meteors solo while gathering … combine all that with Teaching Pies and I gather levels and plots pretty quickly. I also have bought a few cubits, but I think I have only done that once and that was early on before I realized just how easy it was to level pretty quickly.

1 Like

One of the things I love is mapping planets. Speedy or not, it’s cool to grapple around and check out all of the cool terrain combinations and colors while you grapple.

Another thing I love is dodge bombs. Competitions are held every now and then at many different arenas. Each event is always fun and has big rewards for being the top on the tournament!

3 Likes

@Fuzzybear1919 Building can be boring at times … especially with large builds but the end result when it is completed makes all that worth it. I tend to do my builds in chunks and try to make them as modular as possible so I can build part of something and have it still remain functional. It takes a bit of planning on my part …

I do find all the gameplay options one of the great things about Boundless, I switch around what I do depending on my mood. :slight_smile: Plenty of it is addictive, but if I find myself growing a little restless with one thing I can jump to another.

Building is - which I know sounds weird since I’m playing a building game here - the element where I play in the shortest bursts. Also, inspiration has to be on me. Funny how I really love several building games but that’s what I spend the least time in on them.

Where I can go the longest is solo hunting/mining/gathering. So many great options here, and all pay off. :smiley: On solo hunting, what I’ve been trying to plug to people, is try out my hunting grounds in the Pakaverse. Roadrunner and Hopper hunting on these flat, high tier areas is fun and very rewarding, having good terrain for it makes it go a lot faster and keeps it from being frustrating than in rougher or more overgrown spots. These things are great to just zone out with. Put on some music and relax!

Always nice to get out and explore and see what is out there, of course. :slight_smile: Virtual photography is one of my favorite things in games these days, so love to find great builds to take shots of and post.

3 Likes

I’ve found by gathering some of my own mats work well to keep me off the edge

1 Like

@bucfanpaka exactly this … I can just zone out at times doing some of the things in game. Mining, gathering, hunting … granted hunting at times can take a little more effort and less zoning out, but it’s still fun and seeing that hopper core or roadrunner feather drop is pretty satisfying at times.

3 Likes

Yeah, right now it’s alright to level, but I’m still a bit concerned for the viability of building exp, if it’ll take so much to level post-update. øwø;;

1 Like

@Ocfos I will remain hopeful … let’s hope exp isn’t much more of a pain

I always have something to with the Feats feature of boundless and it always allows me to set goals and I am never bored.

1 Like

@GravityThatBinds Awesome point! I completely forget about that at times until I complete another one … then I go look and see I am close to a few others and just wind up doing a few more

Sometimes I just complete them by accident because im just doing something randomly

1 Like

That’s me right now lol gotta farm plots I have massive amount of plots still not enough grrrrrr

3 Likes

To also keep myself from getting bored i’m constantly planning builds

1 Like

If anyone ever is bored, why not give some of the contests a try. Lots of prizes up for grabs!

8 Likes

Also if you enter each one of the contest you have triple the odds of atleast winning one of them if not ALL!

Hi @DutchOfSorissi :joy:

Also to add Howdy @RedY3 where you be hiding?

3 Likes

It’s all relative. I could be at the bar with the boys having a fun time but if my goal for the day is to meet and talk to a girl then I’ll feel bored if I’m not doing that. So when people know about new things like Titans that they expect to be added they get bored of waiting.

Lucky for me, I mostly expect to build when I play so I’m never let down in that sense. Conversely, there are some days (usually on weekends) where I want to hang out with some Oortian homies. 2 years ago I’d log in and see 15+ green icons in the city- chat flowing continuously with discussions of movies, musics, jokes, what have you. Not so much anymore. The social scene has become boring, relative to how it once was.

While I’m not bored with the game I can see where others are coming from.

3 Likes