Can we get ETA on road map / test release

Which means you get unique resources, which is P2W.

Thus my point.

Control plotting, control colors. Anything more will alienate most of the playerbase.

2 Likes

They are just jealous they did not settle on our homeworld :wink:

1 Like

How would I get unique resources? It won’t alienate anyone.

Yes, if I pay irl $ to rent a planet, I want control over things. Otherwise it will be like any other planet and no reason for me to rent one.

1 Like

If you can mine unique colors on unique worlds and no one else can, that means you now have the single most valuable resource in the game and everyone HAS to buy it from you. That’s P2W.

This is why I’m afraid of this going live. Either people like you will be super mad or everyone else will.

You think people are leaving the game now?

3 Likes

What unique resources? I didn’t know Boundless had such a thing. Is there any item that you can only obtain from a single planet and nowhere else?

I suppose you could mean that people could have access to a unique color of a non-unique resource, but in that case, there’s no guarantee that this color won’t pop up in another player planet with less restrictions, or if there’s enough demand, on some dev-created public planet.

Anyone expecting to utilize the rental system for a monopoly is in for some disappointment. Heck, the devs could simply make a system for recoloring resources to any color in the palette and circumvent the whole argument even before player-owned planets becomes a thing.

8 Likes

BL is a Sandbox, there is no “absolute” way to win a Sandbox.

People right now can box in resources and keep them to themselves. Some have the only black glass in the game, some have the only antique timber on the new T6s. Did that break the game? Are they evil P2W players? NO.

If you want timber from my planet, don’t get blacklisted from entering it, and come on over. Take all you want.

2 Likes

If I rented a world it would be so I could essentially design it. For example surface is 98% ice… flat and barren and 2% volcanoes… but deep underground there are huge biomes full of trees & life… think journey to the center of the earth. Or another idea a world where the redwood trees on earth would be TINY and dinosaurlike creatures (if the Devs wanted to add).

Just throwing possibilities …

1 Like

This sounds great!

What’s more likely is that public mines will be created for the colors a lot of people are waiting for (like white stones/timber for example) as soon as people are given the opportunity to select the color palette of their planets. :slight_smile:

People are always expecting that the community will suddenly turn into greedy hermits at the first opportunity, despite all the game’s history showing the contrary. There are sooo many public farms for every rare resource / color imaginable that it just seems silly to expect that player-owned planets would suddenly turn everyone into selfish monsters. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

You are paying for something unique, that no one else has, that can be traded for in game currency and items. That’s P2W, no matter how you try to justify it.

If your planet has to match the resources of an existing, public planet, then we can talk.

Paying IRL money for cosmetics I can live with. That has no effect on the game. Paying for ANYTHING unique that effects gameplay is unacceptable.

2 Likes

Excuse me? Why the need for an insult?

Somehow colors are not defined as a cosmetic thing then? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

When your game is basically a box of lego, no, it’s not.

3 Likes

So now you are paying IRL money for footfall.

That’s soooooo much better.

It’s not affecting gameplay tho. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can still make, say, stone chisels, or a house, with any color of stone. The difference is merely cosmetic. Regardless, monopolies would be impossible, because as soon as someone creates some un-mineable planet with a color that everyone wants, someone else will see a market there and create a publicly mineable planet using that color and rake in the footfall from that planet’s portal hub instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

If no one else does, I will. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There’s no P2W in Boundless. By your definition, the folks that plotted around the only black glass in the game, the gems, and the antique wood on T6 have taken all the coin and are P2W. It didn’t happen, no such thing here. If they didn’t make public farms I wouldn’t have one piece of either, but I still wouldn’t be mad. I’d just set “goals” for the new planets lol

If you will be angry that you can’t just take something that someone else paid for, can’t help you there.

2 Likes

:trophy::star: ditto 100%

2 Likes

How is that any different from running portal hubs, or public mines, or a mall, or any other public service currently in game? You get rewarded with footfall for providing a service, and the coin doesn’t even come out of the pockets of the people using that service.

In this particular case you’re also helping to pay for the continued maintenance and development of the game, so that you can provide a public service, and be rewarded with footfall, so it’s win-win-win.

Semantics much?

How about “Pay to Exploit” or “Pay to Get Advantage” or “Pay to Get Unique Sellable Items”.

P2W doesn’t just mean “win” in the classic sense.

If you can pay IRL money that leads to a coin stream, it’s wrong.

1 Like

Honestly the idea of rentable planets is extremely enticing for me.
Been thinking about packing up every one of my plots on various planets and just keeping a storehouse for all of my stuff until this is a reality.
Will have one day one they are available for sure

4 Likes