Can we get ETA on road map / test release

Because it requires 0 irl money to run a hub.

Unless you buy plots or keep it fueled with gleam club, you mean.

2 Likes

the thing is if you have a private planet then it will not be connected to the boundless universe.

1 Like

Some wonā€™t, most will. Only planets that break the existing rules would be unconnectable to the existing universe, at least according to the previous dev posts about how they were thinking of implementing this model.

2 Likes

Correct. But you donā€™t have to. There is always an in game method to get the same thing. You donā€™t have to spend one shiny red penny to do it.

Where did it say this? Iā€™m not a builder, so if rented planets are only for builders to hide away off on their own, I wonā€™t be renting one. ā€œrentedā€ not ā€œprivateā€

iā€™m trying to dig up the dev post
something about private planets are basicly like running your own server that in no way will connect to boundless universe.
and other types of player run planets would be connected to the boundless universe which means others will have access to it.
if they allowed blacklisting and whitelisting on any player run planet connected to boundless the game would turn into pay to play and that is against what wonderstruck has been preaching for years now

1 Like

How do you get black glass? Assuming you arenā€™t one of the owners of the farms?

Nope. Unfounded fears IMO. If I pay IRL $$ for a planet, you come along acting like a ā– ā– ā– ā– , I should have the right to kick you off the planet and not have to contact a dev/stress about.

2 Likes

How much IRL money did that black glass cost them?

The answer: none. Thatā€™s the point. All it needed was to use plots and everyone gets plots just for playing.

Even if they did spend IRL money to get more plots (which I hate and would get rid of if I had the power to, BTW), they didnā€™t have to. They could have used their base allotment and just unplotted something else.

i take that back i read it wrong u can white list and black list hmm guess they are introducing a form of pay to play when private servers come out it was awhile since i read it last my bad

2 Likes

Alright, let me propose a thought exercise then:

Weā€™ve been focusing only on the player-owned planets side of the things that those changes that James highlighted.

Letā€™s say that when player-owned planets came out, one of the rules for the temporary planets is that there would always be one or two temporary planets that matched the colors that would otherwise be unique to player-owned planets.

So they wouldnā€™t be freely and publicly available all the time, they would ā€˜rotateā€™ the colors on those temporary planets, but they would be publicly available, and so that by itself ends the idea of a monopoly.

Would that be pay to win still?

I would strongly prefer a way to dye any tintable block to any color in the palette regardless of that color existing as a resource somewhere, but that is another way to make sure that no one would have a monopoly over any particular resource color.

2 Likes

You side-stepped my question. I asked how do YOU get black glass? Itā€™s a super-rare resource that only a few people have plotted around. To my knowledge, at least two made them public farms.

How do people obtain 3000 plots to go around the gems on planets? They pay IRL $$ to buy cubits and plots.

If thatā€™s what youā€™re afraid of, it happens already.

Doesnā€™t matter how you wanna call it, paying real life money to get something that others canā€™t in a game like this even if itā€™s just a block colour that is temporarily not available anywhere else is just NOT DONE in my opinionā€¦

1 Like

And disallowing people to mine and gather is ā€˜breaking the existing rulesā€™ in my opinionā€¦

1 Like

If I pay for Gleam Club and you donā€™t, I get to color sign fonts and you donā€™t. BL already has things that fit your definition then.

2 Likes

Some people simply wonā€™t be happy unless the devs have to create a gofundme page just to keep the servers running. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I know right! lol
Only 19c a day and you can help feed a hungry devā€¦

If they have more money and can entice more players, maybe they can move off of the AWS servers (if they want to), and hire more staff to give us some great content :+1:

4 Likes

That would be pay to win, they have to provide content both weekly and for free. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nonsense, I canā€™t sell signs with coloured text on it to people who donā€™t have GC but in what you want you can sell blocks that only you and a select few can mine.

Even if it is just for a short while until another planet comes along with the same colour, itā€™s still totally not the same thingā€¦

I find it weird that you and Arkhainn do not see this distinctionā€¦