Can we please fix this bug? (Left click stuck)

Exiting a machine or storage, and the “left click” button activates and gets stuck.

happens randomly i believe

Very annoying if you are holding a place-able block in your hand, as you just start placing blocks wherever you are looking. Worse if you have a hammer or chisel…

Lasts until you click left mouse.

This was annoying 2 years ago. is just sad to see it still a thing. can fix?

6 Likes

I know they would love to fix this… but so far it cannot be reproduced… so nothing to track down and fix sadly… I look for a way from time to time but no luck so far… it seems to hit me the first time I exit a machine / inventory esp if I shift-clicked items around. After that I can’t get it to happen again for a long time (possibly after a game restart)

I wonder if Mac has the same issue? :thinking:

4 Likes

What ive seen while i play it happens usually when i enter machine/storage and then exit it fast … so pretty much almost double tapping "interact"key.

2 Likes

Interesting… I noticed I usually use the ‘E’ key to exit my machines. Didn’t even know i did that until I read yur post Buugi.

I will watch to see if it ever happens when exiting with escape

A fairly recent thread about this had many theories what triggers it.

It’s been so long in the game it’s a feature now :rofl:

Events can be tricky to debug, but in cases like this developer shouldn’t wait for specific steps to reproduce. They should try to fix it regardless. Clear all events when inventory is closed or forbid left click actions for a second after closing inventory or fire mouseup event or whatever, I’m sure they can come up with some more ideas. I don’t want to underestimate how hard it is to fix this kind of bugs, but not doing anything about bug that can and does ruin game experience here and there because there are no steps is naive, if that’s the reason.

3 Likes

Afaik they’ve been trying for a while and not succeeding so it’s a bit unfair to say they’re not doing anything.

2 Likes

I said not doing anything about fixing it, not reproducing it. Sometimes there are bugs you can’t wait to reproduce, but still have to fix. I’m just saying that it is wrong approach. We all love TDD but sometimes reality doesn’t agree

Ah alright, I still disagree a bit though. If you just go about throwing stuff at it without knowing where the problem is, you might introduce a load of other issues with your attempts in areas that have nothing to do with the thing you’re trying to fix. On top of that they can’t even test the fix internally, and it doesn’t sound like a good idea to have a random attempted fix in the live client.

But maybe the devs think differently, it’s up to them.

1 Like

I had informed james that, I managed to repeat the auto click bug for left/right click, and reported to vdragon via pm, but not sure did they check it yet.

Wait… it happens to right click for you too? Oh did you swap right and left click in windows? I think that, unfortunately, was/is a separate issue =/

It doesn’t sound like a good idea if there’s a bug that if you hold chisel or other tools, it can randomly trigger and mess up bunch of blocks that you then have to remove, replace and rechisel again. Especially if you have perms on other people’s builds.

Anyway, to each its own. For me as a developer goal is to make users happy, I’ve been there, solved bugs I couldn’t reproduce. It’s messy and can backfire but eventually you get to the solution.

Yeah it’s not fun when it happens, I’ve simply learned to not touch the mouse buttons while closing inventory or any other window as that’s the only time it happens to me.

I only use escape not E to exit machines on PC and have yet to experience this bug.

3 Likes

The repeatable auto click way I found works for left or right click.

Would you mind sharing the method for reproducing the bug? For science :woman_scientist:

Also I’ve never had it happen to right click :confused:

Only way I have 100% reproduce has been something similar is

1. Hold mouse button(s)
  2. Bring steam overlay on (actions are on)
  3. Release buttons.
  4. Take overlay off (actions are on)
  5. Auto trigger is gone when leaving boundless (alt tab), releasing button again or using key under esc that brings cursor on.

This don’t work with keyboard or game controller. So game can’t read mouse button states or something similar (you can try for example binding jump to when scroll is pressed etc and see how it works).

2 Likes

It happens quite often to me.

There is nothing to reproduce this really, it’s rather random. However, I noticed, that it happens most often when I Shift+Click (left or right doesn’t matter at that point) something from the inventory into the tool bar. Or Shift+Click into Machines or out of machines.

The only way to unstuck the stuck action (i.e. left click whilst you hold a hammer and your hammering your base to pieces) is to click the button that’s stuck. So left click stuck - use the left mouse button once and it will stop.

If your left mouse button is stuck and you try to use the right mouse button, it will have no effect. It has to be unstuck with the same button that’s stuck.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I haven’t experienced this bug either, there I say this happens on slower machines?

1 Like

I have never seen this in my year of playing. I hope it never happens to me while holding bombs in my hands lol

1 Like