Can't have anything fun

@james
Would minecarts be more viable than red stone? From a coding perspective, I would think a minecarts wouldn’t require much in terms of resources, just directing where to move and changing a character model. Shouldn’t be too different from ice slides or slide blocks really. You could do BYO minecart (all characters “have them” in inventory already) so there would be no placing cart objects, just a character model change.

Other simpler ideas that are redstone-esque but are hopefully less resource intensive:
Musical blocks
Blocks that light up when walked on
Bouncy wall panels

im kinda biased in this as i never really got on the minecraft bandwagon (dont even know what redstone is :stuck_out_tongue: ) but what you say rings so true in so many ways

Can I have your stuff? msg me

1 Like

Sure, when the beacons expire in roughly three years.

2 Likes

Now thats what I call overextended no wonder you’re upset. Just thought I would ask though.

1 Like

Tying a logic system to the spark system might be a viable solution, first off it’ll cost you spark to run certain simulations, the more performance it requires the more spark per simulation or action it should cost.

• and instead of making a logic system out of redstone in minecraft, maybe simply let us “program” blocks by connecting them in one way or another.

Personally I’m thinking of something closer to Space Engineers, not that we should have a programming language, but that each functional block should have some actions that they can perform, like doors can open/close - then you could attach that to a pressure plate to open doors, or intergrate it into an interface where it can open a door if a certain requirement has been met.

Like, if we would have an interface block that is connected to a door, then it could have X amount of other objects connected to it from which will have certain types of outputs depending on the block type - Like if you have a shelf/container then you connect the container to the interface and the door to the interface.

So in the interface you’d see what is connected - in this case it would then say:

Shelf -> If (10) iron ore -> Doors -> Open

Trying to visualise this on text is a lot harder, but I hope this makes sense.

This way it wouldn’t be per tick either, but event based (or I would like to think it would event based so it would take up minimal amounts of performance)

The spark requirement (if that is something) could then scale with more actions or checks that the interface would have to do.

1 Like

seems to be a remark you want to make if you don’t agree. A person can Like, Enjoy a game and not be happy with one or two aspect. That Does Not mean it isn’t for them.

You have remarked on not liking something I think I read once, or wanted a change, nerfing new players if I recall, but had the gall to tell me maybe I shouldn’t play this game.
Shoe fits, wear it. Maybe this game isn’t for you either.

I love this game, but don’t expect it to fit my like and wants perfectly and this forum, community is for people to not only learn about the game, how to play but also express what they would like to see changed in it. Not get told they are wrong, so this game isn’t for them.
Having never played Minecraft I can’t voice a personal opinion, but watched my son play it and it seemed limited. I can make the decision for myself, not for another person.

3 Likes

I use the response when I see posts that are anything but constructive. When all that is written is how much the game dissatisfies you, it’s honesy what comes to mind. I’ve also read your posts and many times that’s what I’ve seen… complaints about all that is wrong and even threats not to play anymore. I stand by my comment.

It is, however, an unwanted knee-jerk reaction that in itself is non constructive. I really don’t like seeing that response from anyone.

In these cases if that’s all that can be offered, it might be better to not say anything at all, since it tends to just rise hackles. Just a suggestion.

3 Likes

Just wanted to point out that, there’s minecraft, and then there’s mod packs like Feed the Beast. Which might be called something else I haven’t played that for years.

Boundless is more like FTB than vanilla minecraft. There are a ton of systems that are incorporated into that, that could absolutely work with Boundless, that aren’t Redstone etc. I think it’s a little negative, and a little simplistic, to suggest that because the game lacks a specific feature that you want, that the game is fundamentally less than another game that includes that feature (but lacks others).

I mean you are entitled to your opinion, but to be fair, you are suggesting that the set of features in Minecraft is greater than the set of features in Boundless, and I am not convinced that you have made that case effectively.

4 Likes

That is a good idea, I think that we should definitely skip redstone and instead go for a programmable objects that can do certain things, maybe some of them have to be connect with spark generators to run.

1 Like

I have nothing else to add to this thread except I appreciate you and this comment, Mystic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alot of the good mods in FTB involve automation, even thou there is no redstone involved the machines that can be added with the mod, they can still create lag when you make them large enough and there is enough going on. With the amount of items i had flowing thru the medium sized ME network i made, and Tesseracts, EnderIO pipelines, In and out of the nuclear reactor and so on. the area lagged quite modestly when everything was in full swing.

I have a very very hard time seeing boundless anything close to FTB when FTB adds magnitudes more to the base minecraft game, some of which can be quite complex, and boundless still is in the stage where we aren’t allowed to place flowing water, or have falling sand/gravel blocks.

I do not see boundless ever having any complex systems that the player can scale up however he and/or she would like. and therefore I do not see how boundless is closer to FTB when FTB typically makes the game more complex then it already is.

Maybe have automation, but only load automation to the beacon owner and friends of the beacon…? Similar to how we can’t peek in other peoples’ crafting tables.

2 Likes

it doesn’t work like that, if automation is happening, it is being ran on the server, regardless if someone is observing it or not. and since it is running on the server it is using CPU time on the server and therefore will create lag at some point if enough of it is happening at once. You as a player may also get FPS lag when you are in the area because then your client is also having to now process all or some of this, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is still taking CPU time server side when you are away from the area and the chunk is kept loaded by another player or a special block that can be placed to force the server to keep the chunk loaded for systems that are extremely large or span more then one world and would fail to work otherwise in minecraft/FTB.

And if it was somehow coded where the automation only took place client side, then you are giving to much trust to the client and cheating becomes alot easyer.

2 Likes

Look. Your experience of redstone lag in Minecraft is in no way representative of what is possible to implement in a game like Boundless. Minecraft being an inefficient program that does not enforce any limits on the simulation has no bearing on what a similar feature may do in Boundless. The devs are not going to design a mechanic that will be allowed to lag their servers. There are a hundred ways to limit the execution time of such a simulation. Notch did not impement any and that is why Minecraft lag machines exist.

1 Like

I’d just like to point out that there is a hard cap of 100 spark links in a line in order to prevent lag. If spark links are a potential problem, what would anything resembling red-stone do? I’m sure there is some simple stuff that could be implemented but anything coming close to actual circuit logic seems dicey.

Yeah… “lag” as an excuse for the 100 spark link limit sounds… suspicious. A charitable interpretation is that there was no effort made to design spark distribution efficiently because it is such a minor and limited feature. Do it quick & dirty. Slap a max length on it. I also would not be surprised if the reasons for the limit are more non-technical in nature.

I mean, really. If they can’t do better tham that, it must be incredibly embarrassing to admit that Minecraft, of all things, can outperform their code by such a huge margin.

But you are now assuming that we all want the same type of automation that Mnecraft and it’s mods have. That doesn’t have to be necessary.

I would already be more than happy to have all kinda of different blocks where you can set certain conditions on, and then I mean things like secret doors, simple light switched, etc.
Especially the doors thing is not needed to run when no one is trying to interact with, just like a normal door now isn’t eating server CPU cycles now either. Light switches will need some more fundamental code changed to have a state saved which can be observed by everyone else but it would be like rendering something without the gleam present if the light is off.

This way you can come up with many different things that we all would like, can be different blocks too, with different recipes, etc., etc. that could actually work in Boundless without bogging down the servers.

Sure, more automation with more control would be nice too but not necessary yet. I don’t need to have my machines auto craft things for me, I do however, would like to combine the machine in 1 UI and be able to assign storage blocks to each or all machines where they can pull stuff in and out off which also doesn’t have to be all that taxing on the servers…

Light switches could be client side, without any risk of abuse.