Cheating and anti-cheating

After the release of the game - especially after it was released to China (the whole world knows that many Chinese online game players like cheating - and they(cheaters) proud of this).
This game - especially as an online game, anti-cheating is inevitable things.
I think there will be no non-cheat players want to play with cheat players.
–Unless you like those kind of business that spent a few cents to buy millions of game coins.

Let me cite some possible cheating:

• Basic:
    • Fast Running / Active
  • Easy:
    • Fly
    • Teleport
    • Immortal
    • Vigorous
  • Middle:
    • Clairvoyance *
  • Hard:
    • Space Warp **
  • Nightmare:
    • Natural Envoy ***
  • Epic:
    • GOD ****
  • Legend:
    • Interference official server

*: Can know the mineral place what he want
**: Can dig and pick up everything directly, ignore space
***: Can move creatures, change their location - to murder other players
****: God mode in online game server, you know

And… What about you think?

1 Like

Gold farmers could be a problem.
And by that I mean players or bots farming to get a lot of coins. Then selling in game coins for real currencies to players.

At the current state of the game that might not be a problem, because it is fairly easy to earn coins.

1 Like

B2P game may not will have many gold framers
Officials have also reduced the gains from some feats that may be exploited
And gold farmers are easily be focus => If there abnormal number of online player on a planet

There is “very” little in this game that is actually possible to cheat, because with very, very, very few exceptions, everything is entirely server side with the client purely predicting changes.

You cannot run faster, you cannot fly, you cannot god mode, you cannot magically break/pick up blocks, you cannot manipulate any other entity or even your own entity, you cannot teleport or get coins, nothing.

Even if you decompiled the game and learnt all the protocols and data involved, made a mock client that faked interfaces with the server to make the server think it was an official client… it would still be impossible, because it is entirely driven by the server.

The only real cheats that would be possible are having AI that controls your keyboard/mouse to “play like a user” whilst you are sleeping.

13 Likes

What about a trusty rubberband and controller? :thinking:

2 Likes

=PUBG=

Make some fake lag, , no cheating can’t be achieved.

There is also MapleStory 2,
Even if MS2 does achieved server-side attack determination, there is still have some cheating software that can implements teleport attacks.

Please don’t slight those cheating software developers.

If this game is really worth developing cheating software…

Lag cant make you hit things you shouldnt be able to hit in this game either.

3 Likes

“Challenging impossible” is those cheater favorite thing.
In PUBG, all the “Cannots” you said are achieved, those cheating software.
–Even including force move other players entities.

Repeat:
Don’t slight those cheating software developers.
Their experience at the system underlying operation & Network packet forging may be much richer than you.

I don’t know those cheatings are how to achieved, but I know - they can achive
I don’t know what makes you so confident that can’t cheating in Boundless, but I know - it’s impossible

If this game is really worth developing cheating software…

I’ve already seen people messing around with textures in their local game files, would it be possible to make ordinary rock transparent to locate rare materials more easily?
Or, since the worlds are cached locally, read resource node positions right out your local cache?

This is unlikely because the game will not render those inside block
But such cheat feature in Minecraft mod, e.g. Ore Tracker can be achieve

Find the coordinates of the ore you want in memory, use the game’s own code to calculate it will display in screen where place, add a mark. Those FPS perspective cheating also done this way.

yes, you could investigate locally cached chunk data, and this is not something we will work around without massively increasing network and cpu costs and changing a large part of the game (we wont do it), but you still have to manually mine the blocks of course, no magic break behind walls.

but we dont really care too much about this, since the atlases already show you were the resources are too (not in so much exact detail, but still, not a big secret)

Do you think that there is comparability between normal wide-area search and cheating precise positioning?

If there is no any risk and punishment for such cheating, then this tools will become a necessity for all player.

Yeah, basically everything is verified by the server, which makes it very hard to do anything :joy:

That’s interesting, couldn’t cached chunk data contain only visible blocks?

Yes, but that is incompatble with latency. Because if you break a block, the client has to wait up to 1 second to find out what’s behind it… and what if you’re stood underneath it? The client doesn’t know how to fall either. You can’t start breaking or doing anything. Now think bombs! It’d also mean mesh updates would be 1 second delayed too!

3 Likes

Makes sense, gotta count in poor connections so not having that data handy wouldn’t work for many people. Thanks for reply