Coming back is a bad experience

There is an atlas. There isn’t an objective at the moment but in a future update we explain how to use it to find items in the world.

3 Likes

The solution cannot always be “you should buy xxx”. The developers say the game can be played solo. Therefore you should not have to buy anything in order to progress. It might take longer to level, but that is the trade off.

4 Likes

and I was solo.

I do think we could use longer fuel than we have. I’m saying this coming from a game called Wurm Online where you have a settlement in a similar sense, except if you have the coin you can add even years of upkeep to the token.

While I don’t think things should be perhaps that extreme there also has to be considered the possibility that some gamers might not even have ACCESS to the game for 2 months or longer. For example, what if someone is in the army and shipped overseas? Or what if a missionary is doing work in a 3rd world country? Should those people suffer because their jobs make it almost impossible to keep a settlement running?

So yes, some people can’t actually log into the game during that time. It may seem easy if you can take for granted that you can log into the computer every day, but there are people who simply can’t.

4 Likes

I’m going to side with @Sulfurblade here. I understand that Improved Beacon Fuel is difficult to craft due to the 2000 required power, but it sells for like what, less than 2,000c? That’s very cheap. If you’re going to be away for more than 2 months - go buy one. If you’re going to be gone longer, well… you’re no longer active and do not deserve to have claimed land. You don’t need to sign in every day, but come on - 4 times per year is very generous.

The only one that might need tweaking is Greater Beacon Fuel. I suspect they will be easier to craft when higher tier worlds come.

3 Likes

Suspicions confirmed, shadoworbs were quite a bit easier to find in the hunting worlds.

5 Likes

I am a former Black Lighters on Affliction (Epic)… Owner of Yggdrasil
Anyway to that point… Wurms business model is partially based around the gold you put into that token for that lasting protection… Here it doesn’t cost you Real World money to bring lasting protection…

Seriously Basic beacon Fuel not even Improved will give you over 7 Weeks of protection for the price tag of 100 in game gold

to get 7 Weeks of protection in Wurm Online would have been a fair amount of REAL world currency… Sure you could make your gold otherways to fuel your token and I am sure you will bring that up… but trading which I did alot of was very tricky if you didnt have access to multiple priests and the ability to craft 90+ QL gear then you likely didnt sell all that much…

But hey I am fine for this game changing its business model to one where you have to buy gold to fuel your beacon, lol… but I sense many others wont be thrilled with that change!

Okay you are rambling on about things I didn’t even talk about.

I said that there are people who cannot access the game for over 2 months due to real life circumstances. These people are not going to care if 7 weeks is cheap because they will be gone for longer than that. What I am suggesting is that there are longer options than the current ones we have as well. I didn’t mention a single thing about the price of it so I have no idea why you’re rambling on about that.

I also said nothing of buying your fuel with real life currency, although that could be a potential idea for their later on if they need more money I guess.

It really doesn’t seem like you read anything I said aside from the Wurm Online part. lol

2 Likes

Clearly this is quite a difficult issue, as fuel helps greatly with the regeneration of areas, but at the same time it is true that people may be away for long periods of time.
Maybe if we just had, as you said, a more expensive option, especially as new worlds with seemingly ample shadow orbs will arrive soon.

2 Likes

Another option might be to take action outside of regular game mechanics…

For the people @silentunion is talking about, the best solution might be to file a support ticket and ask for an administrative freeze on the account and all of the goodies that come with it. Still some slight opportunity for abuse, but it might be better than having 500 abandoned beacons clogging up the landscape for a year at a time.

2 Likes

You said you added years of upkeep to the token in Wurm but failed to add the part that Gold in Wurm is bought with real money…Hence your years of upkeep costed real money…

But again I would be fine with a Fuel that costed real life cash that game like a years time of protection…

Friends to add fuel while gone are an excellent option and no game mechanics need changed. The fuel system is very good I think now for beacons. Fuel can be obtained for a long time easily whether crafted or purchased and for very long periods friends always work. Deployments were mentioned. Heck, when I was deployed to hot spots I certainly wasn’t thinking of keeping things going in silly games. You drop out of school if going to college, if reserves you may lose your job or business, families leave, friends leave and of course you don’t know if you are coming back or when. Getting deployed I could care less about games as life is far more important. Besides, once back then you need to get life back in order followed by probably needing to start over to remember how to play a game if you are still interested and friends aren’t sending you to the new shiny game.

1 Like

Maybe what we need is more bag space? Or a personal lobby area where items are sent to you once a beacon disappears. If you think you’re gonna be away for longer than max fuel then pick up all your stuff in your bag or have it sent to you personal bank/lobby. Is hard to ask for longer beacon fuel for inactive people because you’ll run into the same issue with dealt with before (ghost town and no room to build). There just needs to be a system in place to return items after an expired beacon or the ability to out items away. How to implement this is beyond me but since this game is an MMO they can’t add 1 year beacon fuel for inactives at the expense of active players space to build.

3 Likes

Blockquote they can’t add 1 year beacon fuel for inactives at the expense of active players space to build.

If said fuel was purchased for 19.99 from the developers I would be fine with it… Would give the dev’s extra monetary support so they can keep the servers running. And would be costly enough people wouldn’t get it willy nilly…

I feel like we are getting away from the original topic of this post, and perhaps should open a new thread regarding beacon fuels?

1 Like

I think beacon fuel is tied with this don’t you think Havok? The guys beacon ran out of fuel and he lost everything and was stuck in a higher tier planet.

I think the devs will find enough ways to make money that they don’t need to monetize beacon fuel. But to get back on the main focus what I was getting on is that longer fuel for the beacon for an MMO is not correct. Hundreds of people come and go within a years time and none of them will be able build because of the tons of beacons from long ago inactives. Beacon should be limited, but returning after your beacon expires shouldn’t be as harsh. Specially after reaching end game crafting or whatever.

The original post states that the player intentionally let the beacon expire.

3 Likes

Wow! I find threads like this funny to read with the newer and the older players. End of the day the guy let his beacons go. been realistic if hes played the game for some amount of time he should of had saved locations where he could get to via the sanctum. But if it was legit he couldnt get to game for so long and lost his stuff like i did more than enough players will help get them started back up. I agree with the point of having maybe a personal storage as a just incase but that would need to be worked on in development so cannot be misused. I know some people will have stuff to say about it but the matter of fact is this could be avoided. anyone who has played abit knows to save locations incase you wanna get back in a emergency.

1 Like

Bingo! All of this has been because he intentionally had his beacons run out of fuel and then complains about the results. He made a choice and now doesn’t like the effects of his own choices. He intentionally lost everything he owned in the game. Now he wants changes made to the game for everyone in order to save himself from the choices he makes. In addition, he tries to make people think he had played for about four months. Under his profile though it says he started April 14 and as of a week ago when I commented on that he had less than two months in the game.

3 Likes

Yeah I know what it says, I just said the beacon ran out :rofl:

Although he mentioned he lost all things he is bring up a point that has been discussed in the past. What do returning players come back to? He is asking for a permanent storage for items that are saved for him once his beacon expires (that is something the devs have already talked about) and a new thing free warps so you’re not stuck in a tier 3 planet, which the devs responded with a possible solution. Anything mentioned above is already in mind is nothing new. If some of you had played 8 months back you would see why beacon fuel had to be lowered. maybe look pass “him complaining about his beacon expiring” and look at how would you like to return to Boundless after all your stuff is gone?

Edit:
If I were to go back to another MMO like Elder scrolls online all my stuff would be there. My 3 years of play time is not forgotten or lost just outdated because the game is a living breathing community. just because one player stops being active it doesn’t mean the whole game has to wait for them, but someone that takes an extended leave can come back to some if not all of their progress.

5 Likes