Computer Hardware & Peripherals

New, old, gaming PCs, potatoes, GPUs, CPUs, controllers…
(Topic created for discussion & to move things from this topic)

I would love it, if I could run it on a potato…
but I had to buy a new gaming laptop to enjoy Boundless in good quality

2 Likes

I have an HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3 that I’ve been meaning to test it on, but I’m hoping that it’ll run in reduced quality, and that only has intel onboard … … I’m pretty sure it ran on a much older 4730s, but I could be mistaken.

There’s also the option of putting together a gaming PC made of old stuff that’s laying around, putting it in the shed, and game streaming it via Steam/NVIDIA … I appreciate it’s not necessarily perfect, but I’m just looking for solutions here, for someone that seems like they’ve lost a bit of will for things. :slight_smile:

Point being, that getting something functional ( until graphics cards don’t cost the same as a month’s rent again :weary: ) shouldn’t hopefully be too hard.

I’m trying to get someone back, not put 'em off, mate. :wink:

Oh … and if it wasn’t obvious … I’ve guessed at what a “potato” is :wink:

2 Likes

It sounds like you just weren’t having any fun; it’s really overly fragile and/or passive-aggressive to claim to bail on a game over the occasional tossles EVERY video game forum has. Even Screeps and Shellsock have testy discussions, and there’s not even much to disagree about with either game. Sorry to seem like I’m singling you out, but you sound exactly like a hundred other people who say the same vague ithing for whatever reason, and I don’t buy it from pretty much anybody tossing around the same tired phrases I heard from people in the ARK forums. It’s noise.

4 Likes

If that’s something that runs on Unreal Engine, there might be a well-nurtured grudge involved; I know I’ve been petting and feeding mine for years.

2 Likes

Boundless has my massive gratitude for playing on my 2015 Mac; effing ARK couldn’t be bothered anymore. That’s totally my passive-aggressive butthurt howling at ARK iiwo.

3 Likes

I would hazard a guess that it would run on a linux box or Steam OS, too, unsupported, of course.

1 Like

Unreal runson Linux? Oh but the games that use it would still not have been written for it etc etc… I dread having to go ot Windows to chase my modding dreams… heck people who play ARK have never felt terribly supported :smiley:

oh … hehehe … i meant this game … i think most games now run (via the new compatibility thingy) on linux … but i dunno … it was an assumption …

oh, and irrc unreal (or unreal tourney) was one of the very first AAA games to be released with a full linux version … i believe either on the same disc, a separate one, or via some simple manipulations or somesuch …

1 Like

This machine is having creepingly steady power issues; tht area around where the magnetic power cord snaps into the laptop is fraught with trouble and I’m on my third buying the same thing, refurbished after the same exact thing fails on them right where that crazy hot spot is. The left speaker gets distorted and the battery slowly runs down while the laptop is pluged in if I’m playing Boundless & moving around a bunch, it used to charge right back up but it’s getting slow. But my backwoods redneck paradise has crappy internet too. I’m just hining randomly now, whee!

O yea, the reason I even started a reply–I looooooooove *nix and it would be super-swoony to go back to doing all my work in a bunch of screens I can detach and reattach to anywhere, especially if I can play Boundless on it. Maybe my destitute self can collar me a PC build/repair/maintenence course… I had the skill in the past so some of it should come back, hopefully it’s not like trying to repair a contemporary VW bus with the '72 manual…

2 Likes

Gosh no … y’just plug the bits into the spaces where they can go. Computers are nearly as simple as a VW bus! (i had one! and i’m no mechanic, but even i understood some of that thing)

If you have anything laying around, it’s probably good to go in some way.

Of course … finding a graphics card ANYWHERE right now is like panning for gold … and we’re talking even the old ones.

NVidia are apparently considering (or are) starting back up manufacturing of two generations old stuffs … it’s absolutely screwed right now.

My amd Phenom II quad core 960T 3.00GHz
with 8 gigs of ram. GeForce GT 730 (graphics card)
Runs the game well. I’ve learnt over the years any issues i have with boundless tend to be network/connection related rather than on the client itself. I got it in 2016 2nd hand and still runs the game.

For comparison: sea of theives can only work
At ‘cursed’ settings or it is unplayable for me.

1 Like

I needed to upgrade to go up from <20 fps to 40-50 in full detail.

But that doesn’t even matter. I didn’t try to say Boundless need amazing hardware. I tried to make a joke based on taking “potato” literally. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I wish I could run the game on a potato, but after trying I realized I need a computer.

Oh i feel yeah. My computer is a potato with most games. So its the computer version of potato i guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Next level: can boundless run on a lemon plugged into a potato…

1 Like

I’m fine using a computer, but wouldn’t it be great if the computer could run on lemons rather than electricity?

Then the flexing could be on how many lemons you got or how few lemons you need.

2 Likes

the latter I’d say

but we are OT, so being back to that - what is going on?

I’m right there with you. I can run Boundless on max setting, but my computer chokes trying to run ARK on low graphics…

It warms my heart that NVidia is considering catering to the poor, it’s not like we don’t love staring at screens. I started to describe why I have lots of parts but probably won’t see them for a couple of years at least but it’s a long long long long long annoying story. I’d be more likely to scavenge for parts here on the east coast anyway, though sadly people aren’t leaving, yuppies are pouring into my little town to get away from the cities, the a**holes.

1 Like

I have played on ps4 since launch (with a year break granted), but wanted to delve into pc glory. My laptop JUST met system specs (2.9ghz dual core, 4 mb ram, on board shared vid ram). It loaded, but was worse than my laggiest experiences on console :confused:. So picked up a used desktop…3.9ghz (still dual core) amd, 8 gigs ram, and 4 gig gt 740 vid card…its totally a 2016 system, but runs boundless flawlessly at max res and options. So I’m sure it goes without saying, but WILL need the Potato+ XL to run it nicely :grin:

2 Likes