Covid in my household

Technically it is for off topic but you had it in general “guides”, I leave it up to the rest what needs to be done with it :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

When I 1st made the post, I actually put it in “off topic” to begin with. But, several days had gone by with no comments etc, so I changed it to general, and ever since then most wonderful community ever has replied and sent me all kinds of get well wishes. I’m sorry your post got moved and I hope you are doing better yourself.

1 Like

I understand, I still appreciate you. I tried putting it back to general, but it somehow went to guides. Thank you again.

1 Like

Thank you.

The doctors are not sure what it is, but at least I now know it isn’t ALS or MS, my guess is long-covid has left me with permanent brain damage that doesn’t show up on any tests, I am much better then I used to be, but I am still only like 30% of my original self.

4 Likes

I did at 1st put in off topic, but it wasn’t getting any attention. I know a lot of people could probably care less and don’t want to read it at all. But they can just scroll to next post. I don’t feel that I’m hurting anything. You and May are good people. Very kind heart. Much love to you both.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. And hope with everything in me, that you soon come to a full recovery. This covid ■■■■ is no joke. At 1st I was all against the covid shots, and still am not 100% for them. But when my little sister got sick with covid and was put on the respirator, I was in such high hopes that she would be coming home. Me knowing that she would need someone to help care for her, I went and got the vaccine as to help keep her from getting more sick than what she was. But sadly she never got to come back home to us.

2 Likes

It isn’t a joke and needs to be taken very seriously, it effects everyone differently, and not enough talk goes around about how long-covid can leave you disabled, I read an article recently about how there may be up to 4 Million people who are also out of work like I am because of Long term effects that covid can cause.

Unfortunately there are still many people out there who refuse to wear a mask in public, Which is how I got it, I let a patient stand a little too close to me who was not wearing a mask while I was discharging that patient. a few days later I got a fever and never have been the same since, It has been two years and I am still out of work/disabled.

I am sorry that happened to your family.

3 Likes

January 5th, I helped a friend move who was covid positive. Her younger brother who helped tested positive as well and by the 11th, he had died. For me, it felt like a cold combined with a sinus infection. But I recovered fairly quickly.
Mum’s pushing for me to get a booster, but I had a bad reaction to both shots of the Moderna vaccine, so I’m loathe to get it.

1 Like

Thank you. I definitely need to read more about it myself. My husband just went back to work today. He is having a hard time breathing and coughing still, and feels very weak. last week he swears his ear drum busted from coughing so hard. And can’t hear at all out of that ear and the other ear sounds muffled. I’m still having bad headaches, and a lot of coughing along with junk coming up. For the both of us it felt like a really bad flu combined with sinus infection.

2 Likes

Ours felt like a really bad flu combined with sinis infection, I’m pretty sure mine has turned into pneumonia. I’ve had pneumonia before and was hospitalized, after coming home I still sick for an additional 6 months. I have chronic copd and emphysema. So I stay sick alot. Seeks like everytime I get sick, I stay sick for several months where I have a very poor immune system. I’m glad you are better now. I’m sorry about your friends brother

When I got it, It started with a high fever of about 39°C, followed by loss of smell and taste a few days later. for me the coughing was minimal. then the fatigue hit, which kept me in bed for 20+ Hours a day. a few weeks later my sense of smell and taste slowly recovered, however the fatigue and brain fog lasted,

about 4 to 5 months later, the fatigue was still there and then the neurological problems started showing up, random muscle twitching, random pains that felt like bugs were biting my skin, along with random numbness or burning in the hands and balance problems along with quite a few other problems.

About 2 months after that, the visual problems started happening, hallucinations of either black or blue dots that would show up for a few seconds and vanish almost as quickly as they came

At this point I was very concerned I had ALS, which is Terminal, and was expecting bad news from the doctor when I whent back for the results of some of my tests, I had extreme anxiety about that which caused me to make my own thread on the forums

But the doctors were unable to find anything that would explain what I was going thru. The doctors were generally very unhelpful in regards to any treatments for Long-covid and kept saying it was too new for them to suggest anything, or “I don’t know” but that isn’t really their fault.

Fast forwarding to today, I still have extreme fatigue but at least I am no longer in bed for 20+ hours a day, it is more like 12 to 14 hours per day now, and any modest effort or work will wear me out to exhaustion very quickly which makes an 8 hour work shift impossible for me still, my memory is still very wonky, the visual problems have changed to something different, and the muscle twitching still happens.

I don’t think I will ever be 100% myself again. and I have read some very disturbing things about what some of the long term effects of covid can do, such as damaging the blood-brain barrier, but I am very very slowly getting better as far as the Fatigue and memory problems are concerned at least.

3 Likes

:woman_shrugging: whole Netherlands? :smile:

1 Like

Wait what, people are still wearing masks somewhere else in the world? /s :wink:

On a serious note:
The reproduction number (R ) is still below 1 over here in The Netherlands, so the infection rate should be decreasing. It’s juggeling around 1 for months now and fairly stable. The ‘good’ thing of al this bad, is that it’s the less harming Omnicron that is going around. 1.1 death/day on average last week on a 17 million population is ofcourse still too much but different from what is was before: 6 months ago it peaked on 150 deaths/day.

I still think wearing a mask and/or testing is still a good thing to do around potentially more vulnerable people. Let’s hope the infection rate keeps declining, but I’m affraid that the virus won’t go away anytime soon. Same as other virusses like influenca that remains among us.

Stay strong @Phyre-Fly, take care! <3

5 Likes

I feel like I need to say it again,

While death rates make for great headlines and tends to get the most attention and is what the Mass Media likes to promote and focus on, Just because it doesn’t kill you doesn’t mean it isn’t causing other long lasting harm, Covid can damage the heart, brain and lungs, even if it doesn’t put you into the ER.

And it is too soon to tell, but simply having covid at any point in ones life, might reduce many peoples life span, with the random heart problems and other things that are starting to show in some people down the road.

Even if covid had an 0% death rate, it still needs to be taken seriously because of the long term effects.

It won’t, between the poor reaction from many governments, and poor reaction from the general population and anti-maskers, we are stuck with covid for the long term, maybe even forever, I know this is not what people want to hear, but it is what people need to hear.

6 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better, @Trundamere.

Thankfully my wife and I are both boosted via mrna so when she caught it a month ago, it basically didn’t get much worse than a cold. Despite me being in a car for 6+ hours sitting next to her as we drove back from vacation while she was hacking/coughing/sneezing constantly from having it (she picked it up the last couple days of our vacation and it onset quickly in her case), I didn’t ever get it. Vaccines are a beautiful thing!

3 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that. Has your dr suggested your data be sent through to those studying long covid?

1 Like

The doctor has given no useful suggestions.

After a modest amount of research, I discovered the antioxidant Glutathione might be helpful for people with long covid, however the data is inconclusive, so for the last 2 months, i have been drinking about 250 to 500 mL of over extracted green tea a day. Tea is healthy for most people, so it don’t hurt for me to try.

3 Likes

Agreed. The most recent data I’ve seen thus far is that up to 80% of patients with severe symptoms have ongoing long covid issues.

2 Likes

My symptoms weren’t even that severe in my opinion, I never felt like I needed to go to the ER or even call the doctor during the 1st two weeks of the infection, The way Phyre-Fly talked about her Symptoms sounded alot worse then what I had at the start.

It really feels random how it effects various people.

3 Likes

My GP has had me signed up for data trials for the vaccines, as we have so little data on the effects of them on those who are chronically ill. But as your dr hasn’t suggested that, can you contact the researchers closest to you who are studying it?

1 Like