CRAZY IDEA : Blueprint System or Moving Box

I think more then a few of us might have an objection to someone being able to copy our work with little to no effort.

2 Likes

And I suggest you check when the thread was originally posted : October 2019. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Well, since it has been bumped anyways, I’m going to chime in here:

As much as I love Boundless, I’ll admit I’ve been also playing a good bit of Creativerse in recent months, and the Blueprints with auto-building feature is the overwhelming hook in my case.

I believe I have some creativity, but not enough to create from scratch well at all, and I also lack the patience for really long building sessions. I can grind mats and explore happily for endless hours, but for some reason building burns me out quicker. Blueprints change all that - I can use them to quickly put up all sorts of stuff, then spend some time editing the result to my taste, something I’m way better at than building outright. So can have nice settlements and homes, changed a bit to my tastes. Have to think there are at least a fair number of others out there similar to me in all this, who would be drawn in by the feature.

I mentioned it in another post, but blueprints would also create an economic niche for the more pure building types.

I do think though, referencing an above post, should only be able to blueprint on your own plots, not just anything.

3 Likes

@Trundamere - could be somewhat solved by only being able to blueprint something that is plotted by you

@bucfanpaka - the big issue with selling blueprints is that anyone can buy your thing, spawn it, do a minor change, make a blueprint, then re-sell it for a fraction, or accuse someone else of doing that if 2 structures happen to be similar by coincidence. could be partially solved by ‘blueprints for personal use only’ so only you can spawn your blueprint and decide how they are used ( and get paid for spawning then for someone else of course with the added risk of it being replicated)

1 Like

I would also be against the ability to blueprint the work of others, because you know some would do it without the consent of the original builder. That would be a very very very slippery slope.

What if the blueprint item had some info in its tooltip, like the date of blueprinting? You could then say “nuh-uh, my blueprint was made before yours, so I couldn’t have stolen it!”

Truth is, if it came to that, it would be a bit sad. I don’t have knowledge of that sort of issue on Creativerse. People tend to happily share their creations on the Steam Workshop. I certainly shared a lot of my creations.
Would the whole economic-aspect be enough to ruin this?

1 Like

if it is a workshop type of deal, then it could work. if you upload it, then it’s free for anyone to use as they want. maybe you pay cubits/ coins to the workshop to get blueprints, maybe the creator gets paid from the workshop when their stuff is bought… individual shop stand selling could get messy because there won’t be a way to compare. it would have to be all in 1 place. (with appropriate tags and signatures and stuff)

there would have to be system implemented that compares every existing blueprint and most importantly, decides which ones are ‘too similar’
could be a problem for modular blueprints ( pillar, gate, etc) that are bound to be similar… so only the person who makes all small pillar variations the fastest would be allowed to sell them

1 Like

… And I’ll add for all here, I fell in love with one of them and saved it (have it on one of my maps), before noticing, “Hey, that’s @Goblinounours!” :smiley:

This community has so much talent - think how much would be out there with all our great builders adding stuff to something like the CV workshop that we could use. :slight_smile: Also, it would make some things easier for them as well, letting builders quickly copy more repetitive parts of large builds.

… On a different note though, being able to buy the mats with premium currency WOULD be too P2W for Boundless’ economy. Would have to have a way of putting your own mats into the equivalent of CV’s cornerstone (like, a Blueprint Beacon perhaps?) to let it do the building. :thinking: Could be abused as storage since it would have to have a huge capacity to work ok, but maybe limit it to putting in only used mats for that blueprint (with some substitutions allowed, like wood types or colors of mats).

1 Like

He he, thanks. :wink:
Got a lot of opportunities to build cool things on CV because I moved to a server where the Creativerse Community Managers would come once every few weeks to showcase the work of their players. That’s something Jiivita does from time to time, but really, if Wonderstruck could’ve afforded to do the same officially, with Youtube-livestreams and such, it could’ve helped a lot too.

The difficulty is that CV can make good use of the existing Steam Workshop system.
Boundless being both on PC and PS4 would have to figure out their own system that works cross-platform.

As for how the whole blueprint thing could work, I’m sure I wrote a number of detailled ideas.

There :

1 Like

By no means the greatest builder compared to some of the beacons out there but I’ll agree, I’d have objections and be pretty annoyed if all of a sudden a replica of my builds just suddenly popped up, might not be a great builder but try to put a lot of time and effort into getting builds just how i want them.

That’s why you cant have anything like a blueprint system that lets you copy and place an existing build from your inventory, cause people would get a hold of it and some one would complain…

But, the reclaim system reminds me this mod in minecraft called Capsule that lets you capture a small area in a… erm… capsule you build, I could see something like this for capturing a 8x8x8 plot into some sort of thing made out of oort

And then using it up to deploy everthing in it

Something that required you to actually build a thing and then package it into another thing you could sell and then i could deploy… that would be cool

2 Likes

For me I would want blueprints for my own builds. And not for selling. Duplicating repetitive builds like walls, machine setups, tunnels, etc.

11 Likes

Fully agree with @georgegroeg . I am in the same type of scenario right now. If we could do 8x8x8x8x8x8 whatever the math is. Would be fantastic. As I have to yet again build a tower top. With about 8 or more to go of the same dang design. Probably wasting my typing here. Just think it is a great idea, as I have used this in Satisfactory and seen it used on Minecraft. Though, minecraft’s version is huge. You can basically copy/clone/paste a whole castle. Now, that may only be available in the Creative mode. I am sure I will get corrected. Which is fine. Either way. I will continue to build these towers as is, since I am sure this will not get implemented in time for me. Believe this idea is coming up on the Birthday celebration in 4 days. lol. Just thought someone might re-ignite the fire of Blue Printing for the new Dev’s. As coding has come a long long ways. Not sure how this was coded. So just take my opinion with a grain of salt. Not a coder. Only have worked a tiny bit with Ue4.

1 Like

Using this only as a reference. This was another survival building game I played that implemented blueprints. Devs added a steam database where people could submit their blueprints and share them.
I’m not creative enough to build a pretty house, but I’d love to be able to use a blueprint and build one.

3 Likes

Well, since for some reason people are un-earthing my old ‘CRAZY IDEA’ threads, and sending me notifications (YES, I see you guys in NPE - New Player Experience!), about one year after this very thread, I wrote that one with more details :

CRAZY IDEA : Blueprint system REDUX

3 Likes

Ylands, for example, has a reward system for creators. you can buy a BP from their in-game store with ‘cubits’ (which can be bought with money), creator gets half of the cubits with each purchase, BPs can be gifted (for free if you made them)
seems to be working fine ( but here it might requre a third type of currency for which you can’t buy plots)

2 Likes

I feel like blueprints should be there to allow people to be able to build things that they find difficult to build/replicate (and also a means to sell blueprints to make coin - no idea how that would be implemented).

I don’t think they should be a copy and paste system, as I see that turning to chaos. Building is the biggest part of Boundless, and if people can just copy and paste, or even buy a self building base, I think the game would lose a lot of content.

So I propose a ‘paint by numbers’ hologram style Blueprint system, where the players will still get the satisfaction of building it by themselves, but without the pressure of messing something up or copying it wrong. This would also be amazing for group building projects, so everyone knows how to build the project.

5 Likes

always imagined it like that more or less - a semi-transparent display of a build where you can see where all blocks go, type of each block and colour of each block (taken from original); then you have to manually place your own materials block by block, but you know where they all go (and how they are chiseled - forgot to mention that); you can then chose whether you go with original choice of materials and colours and if you do every part of the build exactly as original or maybe do some changes;

the semi-transparent visualization of the blueprinted build helps with one thing - and that’s how the build fits terrain someone decides to place it in; then you can see where you need to elevate or remove ground, trees etc.; if a blueprint allowed to place a ready build with one click, it would have to automatically mess with whatever natural objects are in the way; that would be an exploit of sort to have terraforming done for free (I suppose this kind of blueprint placement could be allowed in creative mode)

3 Likes

OMG that woulda been Awesome for building the star thingy from the trailer Whateva too late I built it :joy::joy:

2 Likes

wait… what star thingy?

2 Likes