Current gameplay "feedback"

so ive been offline in boundless for a while and came back yesterday. played a small bit yesterday and some today.

few things to say

the game is NOT balanced in terms of progression and xp.
the amount of xp you need to level up is waaaaay to much, and the xp you get from doing various things is waaaaaay to little.
i was also VERY disappointed that many of the skills are things ive already completed and yet i have to do them all over again. i have well over 100 beacons placed but if i want that terribly tiny bit of xp i need to undo them and replace them. many of the objectives arent working anyhow, like warping to a friend and adding villagers.

the amount of skill points gained from each level is terribly small and too hard to reach. when skills take ten or eleven points, and then others take 30+… what is it, do you expect people to play for years before they reach these goals? lol.

while i was definitely glad that my buildings still exist and you gave them enough beacon fuel to start out to last a good long while, it doesnt retract from the fact that my accomplishments up to this point and effort and time and devotion to the projects pretty much mean nothing.

Im sure there is a long way to go still, in terms of adjustments to progression but as is right now, i feel its pretty ridiculous. we need more points to spend per rank with how things are set up, more xp should be achieved for doing things, and much of the stuff youve added in should have been retroactive.

just my feels, im not here to dev bash or to start a conversation or argument so if you dont agree no need to reply to me. just express your thoughts on your own in your own reply.

i was happy to come back and see my stuff still there but the thrill of it was was quickly snubbed by seeing exactly how the progression is set up and how nothing of worth that we’ve already done was actually of any worth. sorry to say but i reached a certain roadblock and hitting that so quickly really kills the desire to even continue. i mean 8k~ almost for next rank, im not even above rank 6 or so if even that far, and im only getting 1 to 4 xp for blocks (which now take forever to place back down) and the objectives stall quickly when you get so far. there needs to be quicker xp gain (a little), less strain on each level (like 35-45% less xp needed each rank to level) and more xp for the ‘feats’. 750 xp for placing 100 beacons. not worth the effort and doesnt feel at all like a reward.
yes I understand that I can find someone who can build them and trade for them and place them… I was able to break and replace my sell plinth so get that done, but either way this would actually involve finding people who actually had that to offer. not everyone is reasonably going to be able to do that, nor are they going to necessarily find a portal to a world that has a locatable market with those items for sale before they feel like they’ve hit the progress wall and decide its not worth the stress.

especially at the point when you need 8k+ to level.

prestige should also give a good amount of xp to players who already have it.

and lastly,

the game should explain more to us. for example… mousing over skills should tell you what you get from it. i had to search online to figure out what the skills yielded under the crafting section and by that point it was too late. i didnt put anything under props and now i cant make selling or buying plinths. to get that its gonna take four to five more levels and as is theres no incentive or excitement to achieve those ranks on breaking and placing blocks alone.

seriously recommend rethinking the progression gating you guys have slammed on the player base.

sorry if other players dont agree with it but thats how i felt about it.

2 Likes

Boundless is an MMO game. Don’t expect to finish the game in day one, gather 1k of every ore, build rome. I bet you would complain if the exp rate had been increased ten times. IMO the progression system is just right. It keeps you busy. I can agree that feats are not worth completing atm.

If you say that 8k experience is a lot, that it’s grindy, imagine that i have to earn over 200k experience to level up :wink: And personally i don’t feel it’s grindy. You just have to find a method of gaining exp that fits you. After that gaining experience is much more pleasant. If you can’t craft something, go out and ask other players to craft you some. You can also buy machines from many shops.

I don’t know if you have ever played an MMO game like WOW. In WOW you have to mindlessly grind for hours, do stupid quests and you don’t progress any faster than in Boundless. At 20 lvl you still mean nothing until the end game, when you gear up and can finally loot valuable materials. In boundless you can do things that matter from the beginning and from my point of view, that’s more than great.

9 Likes

Can you give me your target for how many hours of play you would expect a standard player to take to get to “max level”?

Agreed. The game should be fully playable without an external resource. We’re working to improve the presentation of skills, recipes, equipment, etc. Please note the recent design we shared that showed more details for weapons.

12 Likes

8k experience…oh how I wish I could go back to that lol

Is the level cap staying 50? @james

2 Likes

It’s an arbitrary number, could be 5, 50, or 500.

5 Likes

good enough lol

I understand your points and where you’re coming from; but I’ll just say that I need about 250k xp for my next level in total, and I do manage to get a lot of that from mining - but it still takes quite a while.

The reason I liked your post was because I do sympathise with most of your points.

What Karokendo says here is mostly how it feels for me at the moment. It does feel a bit grindy to me, but I expect that and as long as there’s a grind I can do that I enjoy, that’s fine - at the moment I personally think crafting XP should give more XP for more complex items, but otherwise it’s a bit better than the last iteration (that gave a bit too much).

I’ll also chip in here to say that I agree with feats being a bit under-rewarding at the moment, but maybe they’ll make them scale the reward with your level at some point? That would make them much more worthwhile, I think.

1 Like

I think the game is very well balanced progression wise.

Look at this topic:

He/she got to level 13 in only 7 hours playing time.

9 Likes

I also felt this lack of XP back in the first 5-10 hours of playing. Felt like I needed to get soooo many XP just to be able to craft new tools. I guess thats because I got used to the Minecraft playstyle of just being able to get max tier tools very fast

From my experience now so far, I don’t get tierd anymore of farming XP and I like to be somewhat “forced to play the game to progress”. I enjoy (and you sure will) be forced to play other aspects of the game, like farming, building or exploring planets, before trying to get higher tier tools and minerals!

1 Like

I’m a brand new player as of last week, and I encountered similar frustrations with the skill points.

However, it’s gotten easier as I adjust to the pace of the game. It was sort of culture shock since I played Minecraft years ago, especially that I couldn’t craft a box to put things in for several levels!! Inventory management was rough, but now I’m more of an expert. I love the amount of planning it requires, and small victories become significant.

Things definitely go faster with a friend, which makes sense as it’s an MMO, and I expect that to ramp up even more once I “find civilization” :wink:

What I do absolutely agree with you on, though, is skill points and how they relate to objectives. I played WoW for years and years, and I leaned heavily on questing to guide my progression. Once I saw Boundless wasn’t as free-form crafting as Minecraft, and you need to level up and acquire skills, I quickly started going through all the Objectives I could. However, I believe they are seriously unmatched with the skill progression. I have been picking up feats in between, but it’s very frustrating to see “craft a lock” in my objectives very early on and after finally getting the ability to craft a compactor and a refinery, I still have to get several more levels before I can get the skills to actually make the things I need for this objective.

I don’t know if more hand-holding objectives would be good or not, but to get “the next” objective and have it been 5+ levels out of reach based on skill points is kind of a buzzkill. I really really like the system, but more attainable objectives along the way in some fashion would help the pacing and I think give it more of an MMO quest flow.

8 Likes

not sure how fast you can level to the max in the newest version but it definitely should be reachable in 1-2 weeks. in my opinion the game should not be leveling simulator, leveling to the max should not be the only core feature to “complete” the game, leveling should only be the start of the game to reach for the endgame content where the most features are waiting for you and be the things that keep you playing this game many years.

This will be a tough one for the dev team, because there are indeed players like you @Miige, who would like the maximum level to be reachable within weeks - and players like me, that like the idea of continuous progression - something to aspire to.

Before this progression system was in place we had a very basic progression system. I hit the Mining level cap after a week or so, and after that I somehow thought I was wasting my time by mining. Sure, I needed the materials I was mining, but my levels were no longer progressing.

In the end I made another account so that I could continue mining, and still earn myself some plots in the process.

I hope to stick around in Boundless for years to come. I don’t want to finish the progression system within the first two week.

Just my thoughts.

9 Likes

@james this is something to pay attention to. I have had this experience also, and being more experienced player I managed to do it easier (and before crafting xp was nerfed). But crafting portal conduits is also another “beginner” quest that is way over its level. This is something I’d expect on level 10, not as starting objective.
(I use objective and quest interchangeably cause objective is just so weird to get used to :smiley: )

3 Likes

We’ll be locking these objectives behind a skill unlock or if you hold an item so you won’t see them unless you have the necessary item or skill. You don’t have to make these things you can buy them from other players. :wink:

There will be a point very early on where you run out of objectives because we’ve taught you the various elements of the game but that’s when the feat and contract systems should take over.

4 Likes

I think there is always place for more levels and more advanced skills to acquire. What I can agree with you is that it would be nice if average player (not playing 24/7) could reach comfortable level of playing within 1-2 weeks. But to get to the max level in that time I really don’t see the point. I’ll agree with @Pseudonym84, we were doing a big project at a time and leveling alt account mining to max was a 2-4 days work, after that I barely used those additional accounts, there was nothing else to do with them :slight_smile: With new system I have leveled my main to about 35 and now I have started to level alt and I’m at about 7. Main acc got pretty high level until crafting was nerfed, and pace of leveling was pretty quick. Now that crafting is nerfed I find leveling alt account pretty tedious, if I haven’t had almost all stuff needed for objectives it would be extremely slow. I think that at this point game still needs to find a sweet spot for leveling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“luke-turbulenz, post:14, topic:8506”]
We’ll be locking these objectives behind a skill unlock or if you hold an item so you won’t see them unless you have the necessary item or skill.[/quote]

Cool, I like that. Though it may be a little overkill to not show them at all. I wouldn’t mind seeing them if I have at least a couple of reachable objectives, but when that is the only thing left for me to do it annoys me :smiley: (I know you’ll be adding more objectives, just sayin’)

hehe sure :smiley: We did that in Elop, also myself between accounts. I like that you don’t have to craft everything, that’s making it really RPG, kudos for that!

So, from what you say objectives are more like tutorial? After you finish them it’s over?

I have to agree with Spoygg.

Getting to a level where you are “very comfortable” at doing what you’ve skilled your character to do should only take a week or two.

Getting “very powerful” at what you’re skilled for should probably take a month or so of normal gameplay.

As for max level… I’d totally go for max level 500 with current XP gain/required. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s always fun to ding another level occasionally even if it’s been a week or two since the last one and you’re level 1XX something or more.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly my point, @Pseudonym84 and me were discussing some high level abilities/skills that could take a few months to acquire like putting down a row of blocks, copying/pasting parts of build, mining 3x3x3 cube etc. These are very very high level and it’s completely fine (in my mind) to work months for each of them.

1 Like

For all players, it is all about the journey. Travelling to new worlds to find new creatures, drops, resources, communities and ways to interact with the game which wasn’t available at the start. As long as the journey is fun, challenging and full of surprises the reason to level is to find those new stories, however long it may be.

2 Likes

That sounds fantastic.

What scares me right now about the leveling/stattribute system is what I see happening when the ring worlds (and moons) actually get their nasty atmospheres. Unless there’s some sort of herbal antidote (immune for X time) or something, leaving the homeworld is going to be an immense hurdle, particularly because you’ll need the max whatever atmosphere type resistance or tons of curatives to survive other planets than the homeworlds.

I’m also hoping very, very hard that we can put in “Air conditioning” or something like that on nasty-atmosphere planets to make our bases safe.

2 Likes