Delete shop scanner

I was just getting ready to make a post on how awesome the shop scanner is when I saw this post lol

4 Likes

I think the shop scanner is a great tool for everyone - even merchants in malls. It helps people find your items/shop.

If you aren’t selling items, you might need to do a price check. If you are selling silver axes for 5000 coins, but most shops have them for 400 coins or less, you’ll need to adjust your prices if you want people to buy them. Buyers & sellers are able to see what the average/market price for things are now.

In some cases, since it’s so easy to find items now, people are buying things up and only higher priced items are available. So the price on those items is averaging a bit higher now.

In the future, I hope they add a differentiator for forged items and colors. :+1: (but first, more blocks, rental planets, and titans :wink: )

11 Likes

Oh no, here we go again. Shop keepers complaining about footfall.

We should just remove the ruddy footfall system at this point as far as I am concerned. It is starting to get worse then monopoly players.

If you own a shop and you are concerned about footfall, You are doing it wrong, and to be quite frank you deserve to fail if footfall is something you consider to be a requirement for the success of your shop, Shops by design are supposed to make money by selling product, and in some cases, trading product. Most if not all of your money should be coming from sales.

Footfall needs to go because at this point I honestly believe it only serves to breed self entitlement, laziness and in some cases, toxic plotting behaviors.

As far as I am concerned the only people who have some valid right to complain about footfall are massive portal networks designed for public use, like the portal seekers.

Everybody else who complains about footfall. You either need to put more work in to get more money, or you need to cut back on your expenses, or both.

Footfall needs to be removed and be replaced by something that causes the player to actually go out and do stuff, and not sit around wondering why they are not getting money for nothing, and then blame the game because doing nothing is not paying their portal costs, and then posts like this spawn, requesting to delete a feature that is extremely helpful to just about everybody who isn’t a greed monster.

6 Likes

It seems like those that didn’t want their overpriced shops to take a huge hit in item sales didn’t want this scanner. Sorry to break it to you, but you weren’t really helping people out with your inflated prices.

This was needed well into Early Access. It’s just it wasn’t really requested since back then we had maybe 80 people playing concurrently each day.

4 Likes

It’s no different in real life, if things don’t sell… you try a different approach; check the current market prices, be creative with sales strategies, get you shop name and location out there. It’s not the shop scanner why players don’t visit your shops.

7 Likes

I would hope they don’t make any more changes to footfall moving forward. The economy is finally in a good place at the moment.

4 Likes

This topic reminds me of article about car seller who said that to that “Whole Internet should be bomb down” because of business didn’t go anymore so well :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve been on the receiving end of things that killed my playstyle many times though. I feel your pain.

1 Like

I completely disagree. Footfall is a good thing. When a store is slow you can still make some profit. And footfall on awesome builds is well deserved. It give the builder a sense of accomplishment knowing that people came and checked out there builds. It also help you determine what beacons are getting people come through. So you know where to add portals and expand. I go out of my way to walk on peoples settlements and in peoples store when I’m in a mall. On hunts if we see a cool build we go over and have a look so that person get some footfall and in turn they know people have been there. More coin in the economy is better than none. You must have a successful shop and don’t need extra coin. But just because you don’t doesnt mean others shouldn’t get any.

10 Likes

I love doing this :blush:

On the last hunt I went on, we ran through a small town and I zig zagged across their pathway/road to step on each property lol

7 Likes

I think his view, like mine, is modify the way footfall operates so it doesn’t encourage ‘jerk’ behavior. In turn, add a new tap that we can expect to produce the same amount of coin that perhaps tuning down footfall would perhaps lose.

I’ve gone on at length personally so not going to get in to it, but to say that I think there’s a way you can dilute the way footfall works and thereby minimize the abuse/use in an ugly manner we often see, and have a new tap take the spot of that passive coin generation.

Footfall governs too much of how people build on the large scale. It’d be nice if it mattered less. That said, I’ve never made much of my money from footfall so don’t really get the need outside of needing a coin tap. It’s a nice thing but builds shouldn’t be solely built with that in mind. Right now a lot of builds are made in mind of how to exploit footfall to best work for them, and I don’t fault anyone for it. It’d just be nice to see a proper coin tap implemented to decrease a good bit of the toxic behavior we see people over the last year doing because of footfall.

1 Like

This is why you should have the capital needed to run a store before trying to do so and keep extra capital aside to weather thru the bad times while seeing what you can do to fix the situation if anything can be fixed.

This can be done by adding another value to the beacon, the visitor value, which would give a more accurate feel for the amount of people as footfall right now is variable and delayed and requires some basic math to extract the visitor count out of. Or are you trying to suggest that builders are so Shallow that the only way they will get a sense of accomplishment is by being paid for it?

Which is why footfall needs to be replaced with something and not simply removed. Something that is of use for „everybody“, not just the people who try to make a public place, or put toxic plots down in busy areas

Me? I don’t run shops. I do just about everything myself, If I need something I go out and collect it myself.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if it’s Footfall or a mechanic that replaces it, there’s going to be a way to abuse it.

I would rather have additional ways that work along side shops, footfall, and chrysominter to bolster the economy with as many things as possible to make it robust. The economy already works just fine the way it is. I’d like it to be expanded on with additional features rather than removing some or straight out replacing some.

3 Likes

Lol…so funny. Alot of players wanted this and the devs go crazy to get it done. Now i see this post quite funny really. I never thought it was a great idea from the beginning. But i support what the game brings. Maybe just give it time to iron out. Plus there are other ways to increase your money so u can still go to exos …u can try minting different things. Maybe even try running around with your friends to different places. See a cool place run around…try talking to new players and get them looking around…well thats what i do when i am playing. The game doesn’t have to be about shopping…u can make it a farming game or hunting game. Building game…so many aspects. Yes also a shopping game…i think just be patient .like life their are up and downs.lucky its only a game . A game with so many sides to it.

2 Likes

Thats whats needed…awesome stuff

2 Likes

I wouldn’t give a sh@t about coin in this game if I didn’t enjoy the guild buffs so much.

1 Like

I know this is a shop scanner thread, not a footfall thread; so I’m just gonna post this and not touch on footfall after. If anyone wants to discuss, feel free to pm me and we can do that off this poor thread :slight_smile:

Anyway, footfall seems (imo) to be stuck in an awkward spot between competitive mechanic and basic universal income. As a basic income, it’s not terribly useful; and as a competitive mechanic it’s so difficult to utilize that it tends to drive participants to corrupt behavior. I’m not saying footfall farmers are bad people, but it’s very difficult to make enough “honest” footfall money to actually accomplish much with it.

I think that if footfall is to be used as a basic income, it should matter more that a city is being used actively and less how many people walk on it. If footfall is to be a competitive mechanic, I think that the payout should be greater but possibly harder to achieve. Just my vague thoughts on it and definitely not to be taken as a structured solution.

4 Likes

I disagree. If it’s only applied to cities or which one is the most active/popular, then a lot of people will be left out. Even more so than they are now. If there were 10k people in the game, it might be different - but there aren’t.

Why begrudge the beautiful house off on a mountain, or the cute tiny little hermit shop in the woods, a little footfall per visitor? It doesn’t take anything away from anyone.

Edit to add: I guess this got mingled with footfall because they are directly related. If you have a shop, you have added interactive elements to your beacon/plots that may draw in visitors, which will possibly bring you some footfall.

It would seem to me that the addition of the shop scanner has lessened the ability of places to be “footfall traps” (I despise that term), since you can see what the prices & quantity are before you step one toe in their front door.

9 Likes

Nvm off topic :+1:t2:

Well if it weren’t for @superman101 @jaimepoutine and myself. Our guild wouldn’t have had level 3 run and grapple for the last six months. And SOME of the coin is from footfall. So shout to them.
Changing a huge part of the game to please a few people doesn’t make sense when the devs can be working on new content instead which is way more important than changing footfall. Back on topic. I’m all for the shop scanner.

8 Likes