DEVS: Forging, could you give us your thoughts?

I’ll make sure I add the special sauce for you :grimacing:

Those times are for decay of unbeaconed player-placed blocks, not regen.

No I am pretty certain those are the times for regen for the planet. It makes no distinction between player placed and player removed.

You are pretty much untouchable on t5 worlds with full stealth. So ya this game is about different skillsets/ alts. Thats why there are skill pages. You need to get different builds

DO NOT RESPOND UNLESS YOU ARE A DEV.

im a developer, not for wonderstruck/boundless, but im a dev.

nope
https://forum.playboundless.com/t/poll-is-the-grind-really-that-hard-for-builders
the player consens is that the grind is ok as it is (or was before the spitter ey update at least)

besides of that, i never wanted to start forging, felt like to much work, now its even more lol so i will never forge something :frowning:
or maybe with bought compounts, maybe

1 Like

Having a poll on the forums isn’t a very good representation of dislike for something in the game for a number of reasons. Including but not limited to:

• Not everyone in game goes on the forums
  • People can change their mine later, but will almost never change their vote on a poll to match their new feelings.
  • It’s heavily bias’d for a possitive outlook, cause the people that dislike the grind have probably already left. After 2 weeks, only 115 people voted. That’s not a lot of people, that’s a very very small sample size of an MMO which is meant to have several hundreds of thousands of players.
2 Likes
  • but its representative because its a pretty much random selection out of the entire population. the people in forum might be actually numerical in favor for ur side, because complaining about stuff is a reason to visit the forum… being happy with the game not necessarly
  • do u really think people change their mind on the hardships of the grind only over the spitter eye change? unlikely
  • people who already left the game, shouldnt be part of the future development of the game. This poll is in no way biased (biased for a positive outlook??? wth does this even mean. do u know what bias means?)

here the poll for the spitter eyes btw… this one shows this consistant 20% unhappy minority, too, that oppose either this specific change (an even smaller minority which leads to a small fluctiation in the numbers) or every change in general [Poll] Boon Compounds Requires Spitter Eye

stop claiming that every player perceives this game as too grindy. (not only u jiro)

What’s your evidence for this, exactly? Do you have game time and engagement stats for all players on PS4 and PC? If you do, they’re different to the numbers I’m seeing, which compared to many games shows a very high rate of engagement for those that play beyond a certain time.

If you’re simply talking about people that play for 20 minutes and then never come back, that’s entirely to be expected with a game like this, but if you have comprehensive research that suggests otherwise, please do share.

4 Likes

If you know anything about polling methodology, this is false. An online forum poll like this is always biased because it by definition isn’t a random sample of the population, it is a sample of the population of the forum which is going to lean is some direction (in this case, this forum leans heavier towards the “everything should be harder” camp) and cares enough to opt in to the poll. Not to actually bring political discussion into this, but the perfect example is asking the same poll questions on a liberal site vs. on a conservative one and getting wildly different results.

And while you obviously can’t include the voices of people that don’t play anymore, some consideration needs to be given for other opinion as not everyone uses these forums (120 poll responses on the one vs. ~800 average active players), and the devs do need to consider the people that pick the game up, play for 5-10 hours, and stop (specifically, why did they stop and how can we retain them/others like them).

1 Like

u dont get what “random” means. the barrier to enter the forum and participate in this poll is too low to make this a selective partition out of the population instead of an random one.
And stop claiming there are only 800 active players… there are a whole lot of players logging in with their console … i doubt they show in the steam charts

it is still a selective part of the population because only a select part of the population is willingly going to sign up for the forms, log into it and vote

for it to be random, you would have to at random, force/get random players to vote, over some time

2 Likes

I think that’s you. If you wanted a poll that actually showed what you (or anyone, really), is claiming, the devs would have to run it (or outsource to IPSOS or a similar group). With as small a population as this game has they could probably send it to everyone in game, but at the least they could actually take a random sample of all players in the game and get feedback that way. Any poll that participants opt into can’t be random.

there exist no poll where u get forced to participate . stop talking non-sense
it doesnt matter if the poll is representative or not, it still proves that the claim, everybody feels that this game is grindy, is a lie

Last post on this, as it’s a massive derail (which I know was your goal). Of course no one forces you to take a poll when they send it to you. Those polls are refereed to as “opt-out,” and it is the gold-standard methodology for polling anything from politics to how popular a new menu item at McDonalds is. The difference is that the organization picks who can participate which guarantees* a random sample. A poll like this one is opt-in, you get to choose whether you are a participant or not, which creates a response bias because the people who feel most strongly are more likely to participate.

Any claim that begins with “everyone” or “no one” is a lie. What this poll doesn’t prove is that “The overall population of Boundless does/doesn’t think the game is too grindy.”

*Most polls of this sort are 95% confident that the results fall within the margin of error. So 1-in-20 polls of this nature will, by random chance, have a sample that doesn’t reflect the overall population.

good we have 2 polls we are talking about … 1 about the spitter eye and 1 about the grind for builders. both show consistantly around 20% feel the grind somewhat too hard. this might count only for the people visiting the forum. But claiming here that the majority of people feel its to grindy is not a stretch, is a despicable, bias forming, treacherous lie

It is a stretch, though. It does, however, show that the majority of the people on this forum don’t think it’s too grindy. That is a much narrower claim.

looks like we agree for once… if u keep claiming: the majority in the forum doesnt think this game is too grindy, i say: yes thats what the polls show

Correct. You do, however, understand the difference between the two claims, and why this forum is very likely not representative of the player base as a whole, right?

you are fighting a strawman treesome.

Not everyone in game goes on the forums

i did not said that, i just posted the poll to counter the state that there is a “player consensus” that there is to much grind.

People can change their mine later, but will almost never change their vote on a poll to match their new feelings.
sure, poll is still open.

so they can go change theyr vote, but its just the twin of the first strawman

It’s heavily bias’d for a possitive outlook, cause the people that dislike the grind have probably already left. After 2 weeks, only 115 people voted. That’s not a lot of people, that’s a very very small sample size of an MMO which is meant to have several hundreds of thousands of players.

those ppl in most cases where not even on the forums, so we will never figure out why they left (if they left)

because there is no limiting factor to participate in the forum, no form of exclusion, its still my view that this is a random selection out of the population. u dont need an authority to select for u, so that ur selection becomes random. i studied math and physics and i know about statistics and stochastic and used it much in quantum field theory. i dont think u can teach me about the randomness of the selection. u will always have samples outside the confidence area