Distinct Appearance for Professions

First of all, I know that wearables and decals are planned but we don’t know much on how it will be implemented. One thing I thought of is that since we’re aiming for a sort of “classless” characters, we don’t have distinguishing appearances right at the start. It’s fine but it would be better if we eventually can be distinguished based from our professions.

Some scenarios where I think it will be helpful: (Italicized words shows the distinguished profession)

• Shop owner spots a miner and decided to make a “contract” for coal supply
  • You are out hunting and noticed an explorer that seems to be running from a mob. You can help him defeat the mob.
  • You are on a shop but request basket budget is exhausted. You talk to the shop owner to resupply it. Could also be for bargaining.
  • and many more.

Plus, doesn’t it look good to make your profession obvious visually? Similar to boasting of high-gear equipment on other MMORPGs.

Now, what I’m hoping is that wearables and decals could provide such distinction that’s why I’m posting this just in case it will not be.

As for the requirements to wear them, I would like to tie this one as well to Feats or Feats + Mastery so that one cannot just look like whatever they want. This would make feats be more exciting as well similar to my suggestion on skills/mastery (Shameless plug: Progression based on what you actually do). Some examples:

• Mine 100000 blocks - Unlock miner decals/wearables
  • Kill 1000 creatures - Unlock hunter decals/wearables
  • Unlock Hammer Mastery X - Unlock miner decals/wearables
8 Likes

I like this idea a lot. Wouldn’t mind if these wearables where purely cosmetic.
(Do we know if stats for wearables are planned at all?)
Nevermind, for profession wearables, the feeling is enough for me. You know, Clothes make people.

I always loved the Crafter and Gatherer Outfits in Final Fantasy 14:

Show Me More ...

8 Likes