Do I have to create multiple characters?

Despite my post, this 100%.

Get mass crafting, power and a few points of whatever skill increases block placement. ( I’m blanking right now )

If you plan to craft early on. I say yes, you need at least 1 alt. Otherwise you will spread your main very thin and be good at nothing for a long while. When i first started i made my main a miner and had an alt specifically for crafting.

And yea dont bother with additional skillsets until 50

I would just play with one for now until you get the hang of things. Later on you can always have a dedicated crafter, or hunter or whatever. They give you the skill reset tokens throughout leveling up your character so nothing is permanent.

Right now, I have 2 characters: One devoted to crafting/forging (with 3 skill sets so that I can craft everything), and then my other character is my main (Which also has 3 skill sets; one for hunting, one for building, one for mining). I don’t really see a need for more characters than that, but that’s just me.

1 Like

OK.

So what skills, besides the ones you mentioned, should I concentrate on as a new player?

Up until level 20 you can simply reset your skills for free to do whatever you need at the time, so you don’t need to worry about this right away, but after your character gets past that point and you have a limited number of resets this strategy becomes more limited, which means you’ll have to really spread out your skill points, leading to a ‘jack of all trades, master of none’ situation that can slow things down a bit in the 30+ level range when level ups become slower and slower to get.

After that point, If you really want to do everything by yourself (without having to trade, or asking other people to craft things for you, things like that) then making one or two other characters can be very helpful early on, but it’s not something you need straight away. Getting a second character to level 20ish is pretty quick and that should be sufficient to self-craft most ‘necessary’ things (like specialized crafting machines, and upgraded tools and such) if you decide to go that route.

Also, keep in mind that you get cubits (the thing used to buy character slots) simply by leveling, and you keep getting 'em forever, even after you get to level cap you still get a bunch for every 200k experience (and you keep getting more skill cleanse points too) so, they’re kinda infinite if you’re patient, and (if you’ve only spent the cubits that the tutorial tells you to for buying two plots) by level 7 you should have enough to unlock another character slot if you want.

TL;DR, you will need other characters but they don’t have to be controlled by you, so it’s very optional :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a hunter, a gatherer, a miner, a crafter/builder, A chef/portal guy, an augment guy/mixologist (potions) and a new Forger that I’m working up as we speak.

This is a weighted question, since it depends on what you want your focus to be.

If you want to jump into hunting, spend points on vitality and bow and combat skills.

If you want to build, Hammer specialization and boosts to block placement, hammer and shovel skills.

Like others said, you can reset as much as you like up to lvl 20. So take advantage of that to see the effects of each skill.

1 Like

I put agility points on most of my characters because I can’t stand running slow. Things that increase health or energy. Mass Craft so you get the most out of your crafting materials.

Also when you unlock the option, a few points in Kinetic Armor will often save you much frustration involving spitters and the death debuff. :slight_smile:

Some specialization skills you can only have one or the other on the same skill page, those are surrounded by the same border and have a <> between them, like the hammer and shovel/axe epic skills pictured below:

So that sort of skill is where specializing comes in, and if you want to do everything solo, multiple characters come in handy because of that. But you’re never forced to solo, and being 100% self-reliant is much more difficult than being social, grouping up and helping each other out. :slight_smile:

3 points into kinetic armor makes you mostly bulletproof (0 dmg) up to t3 worlds. Exploding mobs are still bad news.

I’d say the most important skill is Mass Craft. One, it will save you resources, and two, it’s a great way for power leveling your character.

When I first started I wanted to do it all, and wasn’t wild about the idea of alts. But quickly changed my mind when I realized how limited I was in different areas. If I wanted to make food, I couldn’t do the brews. If I wanted to be a hunter and make food I had to decide which area would lose out in important skills.
So, I created a second alt and let her do the objectives to get her skill points, then switched everything to the cooking/baking.
My main girl, she will now be my hunter/gather. I can focus her skills on being safe as I go on level 4 and up planets and can handle the mobs from meteorites.
My third alt will do either brewing or crafting, making tools and such.
It just depends on what you want to do, how many things you want to be involved in.

Alts are great. I have ten and love all my children dearly.

1 Like

I’ve only had time to raise 4 so far (all at different levels at the moment) but plan on a few more once these are through college :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you play this game for a while you’re going to make some alts.

This kind of game, players put in hours in the thousands - it’s not a 40 or 60 hour title.

So the other point of that is, this isn’t even something you should be worried about in your first 40 - 60 hours of gameplay. If you’re trying to sort out alts and specialty builds and ten character names before you even get into the game it sure sounds stressful.

There’s only one ‘first’ time you’re going to take an avatar from level zero to level twenty and believe me, most 4, 5, and 10 alt players here sure wish we could do those hours again.

Then later, when you have an idea of what’s going on and you see what it is that you want, but can’t quite do yet - or don’t want to change your plans for - that’s when you make an alt because you want to.

‘Have to’ is something you put on yourself here, it’s a sandbox. Relax, dig in.

2 Likes

This post has a heap of good links to help you get started:

In particular, once you get close to Level 20 on your main, and want to lock down the beginning of a build, you can play around with this:
https://boundlessskill.com/index

Right down the bottom you can see a few good examples of the common build types.

As of now I prefer skill sets. I have 3 which I believe is the max. One for mining, crafting + forging, and hunting. If I wanted to say add cooking I would need an alt. Lucky I do not play alone and the roles I have no room for can be done by who I play with.

Yes, exactly my point. Alts are great for people that like having them (I have all 10 myself), but they’re never really a must-have as long as you get involved in the community and try to meet people that can do the things that you don’t want to focus on.

I have a friend that never mines, so whenever that friend needs some plots cleared or some rocks in a specific color collected or whatever, I get a ping on discord :slight_smile:

On the other hand, whenever I need a specific color of gleam, they get a ping :stuck_out_tongue:

I didnt go with any armor/resistances on my miner. Just gotta be careful avoiding mobs. Shadow epic (decreases range mobs detect you) is really good for avoiding mobs but i dont think i got that until my 30s.

Personally i think a miner build is a good start. I would start off with points in power, dexterity, and all hammer skills, and damage epic. Luck is a good skill for getting extra drops but is better once you get decent damage output on your hammers. If you want to run faster i wouldnt put more than 4 points in agility until you get higher level. I also waited on this until later also though. To me damage and action speed are the best to put skills in early on.

Best thing is to play around with skills until level 20 to see what works for your playstyle

If your main does as many of the easy Journal Objectives as possible - especially setting up the first few crafting machines, you can easily start a “Crafting” alt who can complete the same Objectives in a few minutes by picking up and replacing all the same items when instructed by the Journal. You will then have enough points on that “stay at base” Crafting Alt to take Volume Crafting, Efficient Crafting and quite a few recipes.

You can then put all your main’s points into a Hunting build or a Miner/Gatherer build depending on what you like. And as others have said, it’s free to reset the skill page up until Level 20, so experiment.

Bear mind, a crafter still gets XPs crafting, as a miner or hunter would doing their tasks.

A hunter build might have Power, Vitality, Slingbow Epic and Mastery, and Armor. But also consider Health Epic, Energy Regen Epic, Agility and Jump. You will also need Atmospheric Protections at different levels and types for higher tier planets.

A Miner will be looking at Hammer skills, Power, Dexterity, Energy. A Gatherer Axe and/or Shovel. Maybe Agility and Jump to move about quickly.

At the end of the day you might prefer a hybrid build that suits you better.

I have an alt for crafting plus 3 skill pages on my main so I can be self sufficient. They only difference between having alts plus extra skill pages vs allowing us to have all skills on one build is the 15 min wait switching my skill set. Or the 30 second wait switching my character.