Do we need a wipe?

Time is a CUBE!

1 Like

How about letting the Sanctum Elder say ā€œHaku! Amaka.ā€ more than once? He hasnā€™t ever talked to me again. Haha

Edit: or maybe it was ā€œAmasaā€

9 Likes

It is a little unnerving for him to stand there silent and staring all the time. Maybe give him some snarky lines when you return there after death? :wink:

ā€œFell into the lava again? Well Done, Citizen!ā€

12 Likes

I think we need:

• furniture and deco objects, to fill our rooms.
  • more costumization, that we could get through crafting and/or challanges.
  • throphies, so we can show our progress as class (like speciel armors/objects for hunter/builder/explorer)
  • more Events!
  • special dungeon on exoworlds with special themed enemies, bosses and traps. where Player can find loot (special chest at end? and each player get his own loot)
  • Event Dungeons?
2 Likes

Or just laugh. . we do have the laugh command already. .

4 Likes

Or a facepalm, that would crack me up, seriously. :joy:

Edit: Also the Slow Clap. :rofl: Really, maybe some would take it the wrong way, but I think having the Elder emote on return from death like that occasionally would be hilarious. Serious suggestion here.

Edit Again: Though, with the disclaimer that Iā€™d only have the mocking start after about lv 30 or soā€¦ might be a little harsh or confusing to a new player killed by their first wildstock. :wink:

8 Likes

I read many terrible ideas on this forum, but a wipe?! Come on, why do you even ask?! No!!

edit: to be clear that I do not want a wipe

1 Like

James,

Its hard to discuss hypothetical ideas for a number of reasons. For starters, its not your thread, so it isnā€™t coming from a place of authority or vision. Second, no one is practicing the Golden Circle when it comes to coming up with ideas. When I say ā€œNo oneā€ I am really pointing the finger at you guys. Its not up to us to generate your content. You need to be the agent of vision and change to help gather feedback. Start with Why, not what.

For something like a wipe, or a retool of skills, or whatever, I will use a recent example from your industry.
Red 5 Studios is the reason why not. Firefall is the game. I was there in beta, I was in the trenches testing, I was involved with the developers. That was a game with great potential. Then they lost their got damned minds.

• Total change and revamp of the progression and class systems right before open beta
  • Significant server and performance issues
  • Staff Layoffs, including CEO Mark Kern
  • Missed Christmas payroll

None of those things players can effect. But all of those things will drive players away. Which it did. After roughly 8 years of development, funding, etc, the game shut down, with only three years of that being live.

I use this analogy to demonstrate that significant changes will lose you population in the short run, and if it looks like your house is not in order, folks will leave indefinitely. That isnā€™t a threat, its evidenced by the pile of dead games that inhabit the steam catalogs of everyone that plays boundless.

I implore you, if you want a specific form of feedback, ask for specific, targeted feedback that addresses behavioral outcomes. Open ended questions that address the why instead of the what. Yes/no questions are about as productive as reading the daily mail.

To assist, I would rephrase your questions as such:

Forging (or really any question)

• Why do players believe the forge should be restructured?
  • How do they want to see it restructured?
  • What outcomes do they want to see? What is the players ā€œdefinition of successā€? What specific pain-points exist in the current implementation?
3 Likes

Maybe just have him stand there holding a death counter placard and shaking his head

8 Likes

Why does any of this matter? That has been the longstanding issue on this forum. People have ideas and they want to publicly spitball and go over with others to test out theories and people just come at the poster super heated and fully loaded and just shuts down the conversation. That should not happen.

4 Likes

Making the tutorial more interactive, kinda like the start where you have to warp to the planet, is definitely a very good way to go about things. Iā€™d recommend an approach not dissimilar to that.

If we were able to blueprint all of our builds, take everything we own with us including plots, then id be mildy okay with it if it were to happen lol

1 Like

Bloody hell, that would be fantastic. Iā€™d love a snarky emote quip from the elder.

As of right now, he just feels a littleā€¦empty.
I say that, because I stepped through him, and I didnā€™t feel anything as my body phased through his.

It was otherworldly.

4 Likes

Oh my non-existent god, yes, YES! Me want! Give to the Gob!
Furniture! Trophies that you unlock with Steam achievements and which give you a temporary inventory slot where the trophie spawns, and you can only drag the trophie from that temporary spot to your real inventory if you have empty space. And then you can put it on a table, on the ground, orā€¦ orā€¦

Sorry. I digress.

3 Likes

It can also save games from being abandoned. One anecdote about Firefall, which was itā€™s own unique situation, doesnā€™t necessarily translate to Boundless.

What seems far more likely is that people leave games because they arenā€™t fun, and those dead games piling up our Library exist because the market is saturated with multiplayer games, and thereā€™s only so many people around to play them.

Countless people have played and abandoned old Minecraft builds because newer versions released with tons of new content and ways to experience the game with updated biomes. For them, it was worth it, and it seems safe to assume the vast majority of people have never revisited their old Minecraft builds, even if they spent countless hours on it.

If part of the problem Boundless has with retention is fundamental flaws with the current planets being boring to mine for gems, and over-reliance on OP AOE tools, and some other system wide systems, thereā€™s worth talking about this.

Some of the new exo worlds are FAR better than our current worlds. Wouldnā€™t it be nice to ditch some current worlds barely anyone uses and have the new worlds instead? These are questions worth asking.

They are not dumb, or stupid, nor do the lack empathy.

1 Like

I was just throwing up a few reasons someone might think a wipe would be necessary for. I think the three reasons I suggested are either non issues or fixable with in the current Boundless universe.

2 Likes

Stupid idea ever heard. :rofl:

4 Likes

She never called anybody dumb or stupid, she said the idea is. Huge difference between the two. Smart people, good people etc can have stupid ideas. As far as empathy goes an argument can be made that someone who wants to wipe anotherā€™s work in order for them to get what they want might lack empathy.

How tiresome are these ā€œgotchaā€ moments?

2 Likes

After many years and too many topics going this way, Iā€™m largely certain that 95% of this community is incapable of truly leaving the baggage at the door. Some times the community produces a gem, a novel idea, or actionable feedback. But digging through the muck and dodging the mudfling is exhausting. So Iā€™ll raise the question- would the game developers benefit more, or less from cutting the forum community out of the loop of continued development? Community involvement was notably beneficial during the alpha and beta development phases, but now? Personally I dont believe so, and this thread is my ā€œExhibit Aā€.

4 Likes

I have not seen anyone say they want a wipe to clear away everyoneā€™s hard work and toss it in the trash. Where is this coming from?

As companies grow, they sometimes upgrade servers to ones that can handle more data/players/faster/etc, & they make backups. So it would probably be more like an overhaul or upgrade than a ā€œwipeā€ if anything like that were to ever be used.

If they invest in newer/faster/more expensive servers and need to move things over to give us all a greatly improved playing experience, and need to add in some huge fundamental changes that canā€™t be applied now, it might be a good thing.

Thereā€™s no way they would literally ā€œwipeā€ everything and tell everyone to take a hike. The info is backed up and can be installed re-populated on the new servers. Iā€™m sure theyā€™d also give everyone their cubits, plots, XP, blueprints, etc. Not sure why some people think theyā€™d lose everything.

A game telling you they are going to wipe because it was in alpha/beta/EA and plans to go Live is different than over-hauling or updating a live version of the game.

7 Likes