Do we need a wipe?

It gets heated because many of us are so passionate about the game, I believe. It is true that some of what I read is a bit painful - I really don’t like the occasional malicious personal attacks - but as the devs have said, they have thick skin, and want our feedback. I suspect it probably annoys me more than them when they get attacked! And most people here are very good people, intelligent committed players who want to see Boundless thrive. I can’t provide any stats but my own feeling is having such open feedback here is far more beneficial than otherwise. And along with just how wonderful this community has been and the game itself of course, the fact that our feedback is so obviously valued is something that I really love about Boundless. I’ve never played a game where I could so freely toss out ideas - even if they are complete brain farts in retrospect - and feel so comfortable doing so, knowing our feedback here was desired and respected. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well said.

If this benefits the gaming experience of this game for many years to come… and they give the option to be able to have everything back in place at a new location… I say yes please do. This game is one for the long haul.

5 Likes

100% disagree with your post overall but not the part about the community being unable to drop the baggage. Cutting out the community from development feedback isn’t the move to make. Actually moderating those who continually prove themselves incapable of holding a conversation on the basis of a hypothesis is what needs to happen.

5 Likes

I absolutely share this sentiment though I ve been reading this forum only for a bit.
Also id like to add this forum needs moderation as in a moderator.

You may be right about that.

1 Like

I’m confused as to what is referred to as “baggage”. I don’t know if I should feel concerned or not, here.
Like, in this case, if you ask me “are you for or against a forced wipe” and I say “oh heck no! I don’t wanna see all my hard work disappear”, is that me not letting go of my baggage?

Or is it people going in the thread like “I don’t like this guy so I’m only going to throw mud© at him, because outside of this thread, I have a vendetta against him”?

1 Like

I quit using the forums for months. It’s very frustrating wanting to discuss an idea that maybe wasn’t yours to begin with but wanting to get more thoughts on it. You want to see if someone else can come up with a better version or maybe polish off a rough idea you or another person had but, was unable to push forward to a more finished idea.

Discussions have to be held off in private and via PM’s to do anything. That is not fruitful for anyone.

3 Likes

You can’t just take part of what I said, quote it and then make your own context out of it. That’s what you just did, completely use my statement out of context. You Literally quoted just part of a sentence. I said argument can be made, I never said it was my argument. I also thought it was obvious I was using an example and stating fact.

We also might not be reading same thread because it’s pretty clear to me and some of us that a complete wipe is something that is suggested by some here.

It’s the personal vendetta baggage of people that cannot talk civilly if certain other people are in the thread. Then there are a few people who are just dicks to most everyone in nearly every thread. That’s the baggage that’s being warned agaisnt bringing into every thread.

2 Likes

I can. I quoted the part I wanted to reply to. I’m not going to quote your entire post.

I haven’t seen anyone ask for a wipe that removes all builds, all coin, all XP, all everything. Maybe there is a better word that can be used…fundamental changes, large upgrade, over-haul, etc.

1 Like

Ok then.
Well, as far as I’m concerned, the only person with whom I might have something even close to a “vendetta” (meaning that I will often answer to him) would be @Xaldafax , but that’s because in a lot of discussions between us, it quickly boils down to “beauty of impermanence VS persistent world”. And this thread is no exception. We repeat a lot of the same things, over and over and over.
It’s about the 5th debate-thread on the subject of forced wipes, right? Deep-down, what has changed since the previous thread, in term of context?

I think saying 95% are incapable of leaving the baggage is more than alittle harsh. But I certainly do agree that there are few keyboard warriors that regularly are too aggressive and have trouble with their ideas being criticized. I do think the moderators do a fairly decent job in most cases of trying to steer the conversations in the right direction or closing the post when it gets really out of hand. Overall though I find it’s fairly tame compared to some of the other forums i’ve seen. As for the devs involvement, I actually really like their involvement, and really the main reason I come to the forums. I find it kind of exciting that perhaps a idea that I come up with may get used… and personally I’m not hurt or offended if it’s slammed by someone behind a screen pounding keys 16 hours a day. It’s my opinion and happy a had the opportunity to voice it, they can never take that away from me no matter what they say…honestly I just skip over the people that I notice who regularly complain and attack other players, I’m not interested in their opinions. So in closing, I do hope that devs do continue to participate and communicate with us on the forums. It really is feedback regardless if the use it.

6 Likes

The fact that it keeps getting brought up means something in itself don’t you think?
And I don’t think anyone want a real forced wipe hence why talking in depth about this is the way to go

2 Likes

Never seen a mod straight up ignore OP’s request for a thread lock after it gets combative here.

Until today.

3 Likes

I mean, from what I can tell, someone asked “how about a wipe”, and the majority of people in the thread said “nope”. That should be the end of it.
But this specific topic of debate keeps being brought back by the minority of people who think it would do enough good to the game to be worth discussing.
The minority which will keep saying that they are in fact the majority.

You might then say “but how do you know they aren’t really the majority and you’re the minority, just being more vocal”. And I guess I don’t have anything to invalidate this, but then again, the other side can’t validate it either.

2 Likes

Only thing that needs wipe are these wipe topics.

5 Likes

How about we just get back on topic… personally I don’t want a wipe but I’m open to the discussion and ideas.

1 Like

Who was that someone? I have missed the Question i think.
All i did is what i allways do, touching a touchy subject on a forum where People pretend its all sunny and Flowers.
It is not.
On Topic:
As i stated, i have my share of boundless. And i think i can voice my opinion with some Knowledge.
A wipe is deffo not what the game Needs.
Some fundamental changes, for sure. But those are for the most part in there own threads allready, year in, year out…much like every thread on this Forum, unless it goes with new patchnotes.
But no discussion will swaythe Vision of the Developer, at least from my experience with developers.
There Vision <> reality of the game.
Which to some extend is fine. As Long as the finer lines can be discussed by the devs AND the playerbase. Which this dev Team offers, most of the times.

My opinion on the topic of wipes that are asked too often.

Start ignoring them. When you respond you give the ones who seem to want one, even though they may not state it, that it needs to be beaten into everyone’s mind until they wear them down.

That is my opinion and I have started to ignore a lot of topics by certain people because I am sick and tired of those very things, if you don’t agree with me, I will subtly insult you, send you DM’s with long post of explaining why I am right and you are wrong, and basically want to be a pain in the rear.

Fortunately, for the most part I ignore them most of the time, one post, response and that is it, such as this one.

Will everyone please, who is sick and tired of the constant wipe topics, just ignore it when it gets brought up again and eventually those who secretly want a wipe will maybe, if we are lucky, quit starting topics on it.

And, for the record, I won’t be visiting this to read responses or complaints at my viewpoint, and will ignore DM’s from certain people who don’t like what I said and their belief that they have the right to badge me into agreeing with them. I just ignore you, you aren’t worth the wasting of my time.

2 Likes

a wipe would be a death-knell for this game as there would be a mass exodus of angry players·

2 Likes