Do we need a wipe?

All I ever see is a vocal few on both sides, some more so than others, in this threads case I chose not to respond to those people. I think there are a lot of us who don’t care one way or the other because we enjoy the game and if the team had to do a wipe, then it’s being done for a reason that they thought was critical for it to happen, so we would keep supporting the game and playing like we have been. Many of us just not using the forums and waiting for what ever changes occur to land in game because we just don’t care whats happening on the forums, where some seem to live a 3rd life, their second being the game.

If people think it would do enough good for the game to warrant being done then they clearly want a discussion on it and are looking for others to help make that argument with and/or for them. If you(ie: read everyone/anyone) are against such an action not responding to the thread is fantastic way of giving your input. An idea thread that gets no traction clearly wasn’t much of an idea to begin with. If it gets posts, watch and see the reasons given and how they are fleshed out in regards to how would a wipe fix those problems. If those ideas are enough to convince the dev team something was that wrong with the game to warrant a wipe, then it probably needed a wipe.

Dev has already said they arent wiping and not planning to. That should be good enough. If a well sourced reason comes up that backs why a wipe should occur and it convinced the Devs to do that, then I guess it was a pretty good reason. I guess that’s why it’s frustrating to see these threads spiral like this. If people who were against it just didn’t comment on it, then it wouldn’t get 80% of the traction it does. There might be 8-10 posts total and the post would die off or the devs would see an issue that maybe they should address and they’d bring it up with the community after having done what it is they do internally.

1 Like

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of oortians suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened

8 Likes

I was the one whose ideas were being dismissed… but whatever you say

No, we definitely don’t need a wipe :point_up:
Maybe a little polish here and there
But that is okay for me :smiley:

A lot of people said no, but a fair number also said “maybe” as long as they had blueprints for their builds.

No one as far as I know has ever said this once in this thread.

Which is precisely why it’s worth casually discussing.

I know, I’m one of them. If there’s no other way, I’m ready to hear arguments. Right now, I see nothing pointing towards a “there’s no other way”.

I’ve quoted Xaldafax somewhere who said something like “a few people will leave the game” as if that was no big deal.
And someone else quoted him saying that there was many people who think it needs to happen, or something to that effect.

1 Like

If you’re referring to the opt in and out conversation, your ideas weren’t dismissed, you were advocating against opt in and out as part of preserving the status quo. It’s common here for anyone to say something that upturns the apple cart even slightly to be met with fierce resistance.

Some of us attempt to represent against the status quo, those who have left, quit, or dislike the game, and look for ways to find a middle ground. Your resistance to opt-in-and-out didn’t need representation nearly as much because it’s already how the game functions and there’s no shortage of people who echo the same sentiments on a regular basis.

The vast majority of any argument I make is based around the clear issues Boundless has with player retention, and how to sell more copies. Clearly, keeping the game exactly how it is won’t change that.

If preserving the status quo were an idea worth considering, Boundless would be more popular.

Boundless needs to change. The entire point of these conversations is to discuss how, but so many people either refuse, or simply cannot see the game from any point of view but their own.

There used to be far more oppositional voices in the forums, but they’re all gone now, they left, leaving behind a tight cluster of people with similar vision.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if the current playerbase is satisfactory, then I’ll leave for good until Private Servers release. If the devs want Boundless to grow more, then they need voices like mine to challenge the echoed mindset that remains here.

Do I think there should be a wipe? No. Certainly not for a long, long time. But the conversation is worth having because clearly people tolerate wipes in Minecraft? Why? Perhaps because the grind isn’t as bad. Could there be useful information to be gleaned from this? Are there ways to improve Boundless’ popularity?

Instead, a fair number of responses were lacking in substance, or simply angry, instead of just hashing out the discussion.

Saying, “No.” or “That’s stupid.” are utterly useless pieces of feedback for Developers, because there have been plenty of situations in game development when listening to player feedback dooms the game.

2 Likes

The op’s opening post talks about to make a more structured universe and other things which seems to suggest different planets then we have now which would remove our builds. So a complete wipe was the actual topic of this what if post…

2 Likes

I was polite at each and every point…you were not. You called me a liar when you misunderstood what I was saying (hopefully you did this mistakenly rather than maliciously)… I am MANY things, but a liar not so much.

You want to discuss, debate, etc I am cool with that. personal attacks are crossing a line… Hopefully we can interact on a better level in the future…I would rather be friends than enemies… and I try to dislike Ideas, not People. If you wish to continue this let us go to discord and perhaps we can move our relations to a better position.

3 Likes

You guys take a break from the thread for a bit and come back when you are ready

6 Likes

I see. I’m sure they have back-ups of things and possibly even some cold storage records with account info. Unless those were destroyed, there’s no reason we’d lose anything.

I trust that the devs will do what they think is best for the entire game.

I can see where they may need to do a huge upgrade in the future, especially if they do a large marketing push & bring in tons of new players. They will need to grow and adapt. A lot of small games start out on virtual/cloud/shared servers that may have limitations. If they grow & become super successful, they may need to change a few things. Who knows.

Or maybe they decide the F2P + mtx route will be better, once there are a lot of people playing. (Hypothetical here, just tossing out a reason)

Still, I’m sure they have backups if anything should ever happen (so they can re-populate the databases or populate/install on the new ones) and/or they would give us blueprints of our builds so that no one would really lose anything.

If they had to get new servers & give us a new universe or a different one, it would mean the game is growing a ton, lots of players, lots of new fundamental things that make the entire experience more fun, etc. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and say that we would get a far-in-advance warning & we’d be given blueprints, our coins, our # plots, etc. :woman_shrugging: This is all a bunch of maybes though, because they said they aren’t planning a wipe.

3 Likes

Sorry @AeneaGames , if it came over like i wanted all the Things i put with ? at the end and that i wrote that i have no idea if any of the ? marked Things are needed, but you might have missed that.
Yes, ofc as i stated now numerous times, it was a “What if…” post for the Purpose of seeing into other peoples heads for suggestions what, if anything would be needed to make one possible or to find out it is not needed.
I thought it was clear me asking Questions with the main Question “Do we Need a wipe?”.
I even wrote the Disclaimer, but if i ever think About making another Forum thread, i will make sure People understand me correctly, language barrier and what not.

2 Likes

In my last post I did my best to not make it seem it’s what you wanted, I just told majorvex that it is what you mentioned in your WHAT IF to make clear that the topic at hand IS a compete wipe and that when people respond that they are for it that they thus want it.

Did my best to keep you out of it this time yet you think I did not, well English is not my native language…

Since James already mentioned they aren’t planning on it I don’t see much use in discussing this.

Also if there’s a new universe and the game is so fundamentally different that they are some day considering it it seems highly doubtful we can keep our stuff.l since its not even certain the same colours would be around and dunno about you but some parts of my builds work right now due to the environment not so sure I could just plop it down anywhere.

As I said before if it is a completely new engine which make many new things possible with new game mechanics and they call it Boundless 2 then I can get behind it, but not when the game is how it is now. And with the way development is going I don’t think the game will need something like this for many years to come…

And as you leave out, James also said he wants people to discuss their ideas and reasons on why they feel a wipe may be warranted/needed. So it seems there’s plenty of reason to discuss it now for those who feel the need and leaves room for future discussions if someone else decides to make a similar post down the line.

If you don’t think it should happen then simply not commenting and adding to the conversation does more than repeatedly saying there is no reason to discuss something. Just because you don’t think there is or don’t want there to be doesn’t mean a discussion isn’t allowed to take place.

Neither is it mine, so its all good.

I for sure thought this would have been closed before I woke up. Did you ask to leave it open now?

No,
If the Mod chooses, among others, to ignore me then /shrug.
Maybe James told him to let it stay.
It seems like it steamed off now.

James specifically reopened it after the bot closed it. Maybe he thinks we need to find a way to have more civil discussions where both sides state reasons versus some of what we had today.

2 Likes

Why do people misread things in heated discussions? I never said I don’t want people to discuss this I, notice the I, just said that I, there it is again, do not see a reason to discuss it any further with which I mean that I don’t want to discuss it. What the rest of you do is all up to you and really do not get why that wasn’t clear.

2 Likes