Do we need a wipe?

yeah it needs a good wipe :joy:

5 Likes

I donā€™t think a wipe is enough, time for a good long shower

1 Like

If thatā€™s the case and you donā€™t care then why make the post? What purpose is it serving others than hitting enter one last time?

If people are constantly ā€˜misreadingā€™ what you are trying to convey then itā€™s probably not them.

1 Like

Peopleā€™s opinions that donā€™t agree should be involved as well. Adding a post saying that you donā€™t want something because of said reason is just as important as people saying they do want it for said reason. Thatā€™s currently the problem with idea or suggestion threads on the forums is that people canā€™t accept that others have different opinions as them. Only being able to post when you agree with something creates an echo chamber and only gives one side of the equation.

7 Likes

Okay that was pretty funny.

[quote=ā€œStretchious, post:203, topic:33828ā€]
Subjective. And Iā€™m pretty certain it was only you in EA suggesting that they wipe again 6 months before release. [/quote]

Yes what I said was subjective which could be said about a million posts in this forum. As it turns out I was talking as early at October 2017 (almost a year before release) about us needing a wipe especially to help prove out the new user experience.

People didnā€™t want to give up their builds even in EA or help in the new user experience and things the wipe would have helped with. As it turns out, I think there was more than enough complaints and evidence that not having a good balance pass prior to release actually hurt us, lost some players, and caused frustration. Even if it is a subjective point I have, I wouldnā€™t doubt that many people would support the evidence that not wiping prior to release as a miss and lost opportunity.

I was unable to find the exact place I was told about a 6 months wipe directly from James and cannot remember the specifics. Where I got it from in the first part of that post I linked above I cannot remember. So it might have been wrong information that was given to me as being attributed to a Dev saying exactly 6 months and I apologize if I pushed something that wasnā€™t true. Or somehow people (or me) confused the 6 month warning and talks back in about 2 resets coming and it being merged into one statement.

In any event, we have clear proof from a Dev that they were talking about a wipe coming prior to release as early at 4/2016:

But, when I asked in November 2017 again about it and trying to show my concerns it was communicated they would not wipe:

Now just to clear up a few things in the other part of your postā€¦

The issues around the wipe are my opinions on the larger aspect of the game and not really ā€œpersonalā€ in the context you are talking. So a personal wipe wonā€™t solve or fix the things I see in the larger game, community, new user experience, or even the ā€œstalenessā€ that could happen in a few years.

I do not think that is a fair representation of how I am presenting things. It is not a constant narrative that I always push on these forums and I have only brought it up a few times beyond supporting conversations around it when others talk about it. You are basically echoing some of the wrong information about me that others do and I think it is time to clear the record.

What is completely incorrect in your assessment, thought, is that I am removing other peoples choice. I only have conversations around it and look for options and features to solve concerns and engage people when they are against it. I talk to people privately about their concerns with a wipe and help see how we could mitigate those concerns. It is really not fair to define me like this when I actually am just having a constructive conversations around it in the good and bad parts of a wipe. This is much different that people that just call it ā€œstupidā€ or get toxic or wonā€™t respect over views.

The biggest issue with defining me like this is the reality is that even if I had the complete power to wipe the game right now I would not and honestly donā€™t know if I ever would. I feel it is important to respect peopleā€™s work and see if there is a path to solving the issues a wipe could solve AND give people what they want in a persistent universe. I feel we have many more things to put in place and much more ā€œconversationā€ on the topic before we could even press the button.

3 Likes

Gold star. Well said. Completely agree with what you said. Weā€™re just looking for ideas of how to improve the game. We arenā€™t even committed to this nor do we want to destroy peopleā€™s hard work.

This is unfortunately still common but I made a new thread specifically to discuss this. New users and retention are important. We need to talk about what sacrifices all current players would be willing to make if it grew Boundless as well as what could benefit everyone.

The more people who play Boundless the more content we all get.

I agree. Thereā€™s a difference in trying to stop a discussion from taking place because you donā€™t like an idea and holding a thread hostage as a result compared to posting once why you donā€™t like it or agree with it and leaving it at that. I think youā€™re the one who has said a few times in the past that the devs are the only minds that need convincing. Then people on these forums need to quit being so argumentative, state their case, and leave it at that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve still not seen any valid information on what issues could only be ā€œsolvedā€ by a wipe.

The start of any change process should be clearly defining what the issues actually are that need to be solved. Only then can you work on implementing solutions.

6 Likes

This is an incorrect assessment of James and the Development team. How about in the future donā€™t define people until you really have all the information. Iā€™ve had plenty of conversations with them that is much more mature approach on a technical, design, and program management than you could even imagine.

Sure they donā€™t do everything perfect, but no one does. We all are human and make mistakes. It really can come off arrogant when you tell people how to act yet in a previous post you were calling the discussion stupid.

James phrased the questions however he wanted because he didnā€™t need answers to the questions. He needed to communicate the message that we should ā€œdiscussā€ things and he was using those things as examples. If he was asking the question, ā€œwhyā€ and all that stuff Simon talks about is included.

Even though I am critical on parts of your post, I do support that any discussion needs to take the repercussions of those decision very seriously. But, even then James and the team know thatā€¦ they have seen clear evidence of how some of their decisions played out - good and bad.

Personally I donā€™t Iā€™ve been playing since launch and Iā€™ve put hundreds of hours to get to where I am now

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 10 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 10 hours.

This topic is temporarily closed for 10 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 10 hours.

I agree of course but why have the conversation if people arenā€™t willing to or acknowledge where they might have judged a bit too harshly.

Most of the ā€œexperienceā€ of the wipe needs to come from the players but the ā€œreasonsā€ need to come from the Development team. We donā€™t have enough data and need more information.

For me Iā€™m not really interested in bringing in the reasons or anything because we see how this topic goesā€¦ better to wait and see how the game matures for another year before wipe is discussed at least for me.

For all y0u that want a wipe, why donā€™t you ask for new worlds and you can start all over in those worlds.

Wipe = I wonā€™t come back, Just saying.

2 Likes

So the simple answer to this whole thread (and all those that came before it) isā€¦

ā€œNoā€

There is no reason for a wipe, so we donā€™t need a wipe.

7 Likes

Iā€™m still kinda lost as to the reasons for a wipe. Not trying to antagonize, just understand the reasons.

Then you would have to change your name to Loco-Is-Gone :sweat_smile: lol but i agree. The only way i would agree to a wipe is if we had New Game+ and i dont think this is that type of game :joy:.

If you all that are in favor of a wipe think im going back to iron hammer mining for diamonds, i got news for youā€¦I would do it but every hit with that hammer would be an image of your avis on those rocks im hitting :triumph:

1 Like