Do we need a wipe?

im always scared off those stupid flag attacks out there
i love the option to change my titles off topic to match the new reports i make
i lost the ability once for longtime and it sucked bigtime
im still wondering it happend cuase i had a flag this one time for a spiderman gif :joy:

LvKAiI5z

Hope it makes you smile as much as it did when someone posted it for me. @the-moebius donā€™t mind his pants coming off as he smashes :wink:

3 Likes

I do have a problem with players assuming a moderator did not do what they were supposed to. The thread was closed by the bot for flagging James re-opened it. So should a moderator be over riding a decision James made?

I think some players need to read the thread and take a better look at who did what.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t going to add anything to this thread as it is a total COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME FOR CERTAIN ONES TO SHUT UP ABOUT WIPING.

However, learning that it was closed, then for only God and @james know why, that person Name of @james had to have a moment of what I see as brief insanity and reopened the thread.

He should have known better, those who want the wipe, for God only knows what reason will not give up on it, they are like feral dogs wanting that bone and will do what they can to get it, just smart enough to not be obvious about it and so keep beating it this dead horse and others are being to blind to see and so keep responding.

For the LOVE of GOD will yaā€™ll wake up, smell the roses and stop posting and tell those who want the wipe to go away, no one else wants, it, we have read their reasons, we donā€™t agree with them, end of discussion.

@james Close the D*A%M#N thread, Please

I think the thread is still open because change is imminent. The devs could be trying to get a feel for the direction this change needs to go. It may not necessarily be a wipe but sometimes itā€™s good to listen to any idea regardless of what it is.

Like iā€™ve said before, i donā€™t agree with a wipe, but if they created a new galaxy within boundless with completely different rules/mechanics it could be a good direction for the game. But I believe the large majority is in agreement not to destroy what some of us have put countless hours into.

This thread (or a new thread) could create positive feedback for the devs with a little more direction. Sum up the pros and cons and reiterate that we will not be wiping to calm people down and allow them to think outside the box.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think @james realized that the op asked for it to be closed as he was never tagged for that. And the bot closed it due to flags so really James just stopped the bot from closing it due to flags. He didnā€™t override the person asking for it to be closed.

Wipe it all!!!

Thatā€™s fine. It was enough for many at the time to just quit playing the game. This game needed changes done at specific times and those windows are long gone because vocal groups who have been here since the beginning throw tantrums any time the game looks like it wonā€™t fit their vision.

If the devs just did what they know needed to be done instead of caring if some of this population threw their fits and quit playing as a result it might actually be able to take off. Every time a vocal group has held this game from going to the next level, going back to before release. Itā€™s sad and frustrating to watch.

2 Likes

I agree players did stop playing because of the change to bomb mining but I fail to see how a wipe would have either mitigated the number that left or not just made it worse because other players would have left due to the wipe.

I think it this was true the the bomb mining nerf would not have happened, the xp nerf would not have happened, and the lighting change might not have happened. May be I just have more faith in the developers to do what is right for the game despite the fact that players have been very upset at various times through the games time in release. I also think with a small team it just takes time to make the changes and that is more likely the reason for the seemingly long gaps between releases versus any fear of the community.

1 Like

Those changes needed to happen. I think the devs try to slide in between spaces and do half measures to do right by the game and not entirely tick off a vocal group. Itā€™s not maintainable for a games longevity.

I think thatā€™s the most frustrating part to watch. Weā€™re coming up on a year of release and the game population has gone up and down but doesnā€™t seem to have caught that slow burn that was always talked about.

Iā€™m still playing, and probably will for a long time, whether Iā€™m on the forums or not to voice concerns or to give praise. I have tried to stay away from the forums because it really does detract from the play experience.

2 Likes

I do understand why this is frustrating. When you like a game you want it to be successful and for Boundless to be an MMO it needs players. We agree on this.

Where we probably disagree is on how much the developers are willing to change their vision just because a group of players is upset with something. I will not say it has never happened, but to my recollection they have never rolled back a change unless it was creating major issues like regen not function properly. They extended the regen and it ended up creating planets missing millions of blocks because the mechanic allowed too long for regen to start and even then if it was a large number of blocks made it even slower. Unintended consequences so they did change the regen to be close to what it had been before.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right. You have more contact with them then many of us Iā€™m sure.

The other day someone proposed booting up a ā€˜second ā€˜ universe with all the changes that have happened to the game in a fresh. Iā€™m not sure what that would cost but it seems to be the best option if you take a wipe out of the equation. Then weā€™d have the legacy setting for those who have put hours in to builds and a new world/player setting for new players and those who think a new setting with all the changes freshly in to the game over the last year, instead of slow rolled out over time taking chunks out of the player base.

The complaint there would of course be is if the new universe took off then the legacy people would be upset that population dwindled but I guess it would prove a point either way. I donā€™t know what the answer is. I just wanted to offer my thoughts. Iā€™ve said everything I have to say at this point.
Thanks for the civil discussion.

2 Likes

No to the wipe but maybe some new perma worlds would be good (sorry not sure if already suggested). Wasnā€™t someone calling for a new perma AUS world?

1 Like

Iā€™d put a warning on that. The forum system which automatically closes threads tends to be a pain in the rear. Honestly, Iā€™d say that feature of the forum should be disabled. Reporting/Flagging allows us to hide posts that are problematic, and thatā€™s enough. Closing a thread should be 100% the decision of a moderator / admin.

At this point, if ā€˜changeā€™ is imminent, it has to be 100% clear to the devs and everybody else that the majority of the playerbase refuses a wipe unless thereā€™s a good way to save our builds. A wipe would also require a great reason to be, which there are currently none.
A valid reason would be new features which canā€™t be deployed like the new wild crops and new lightings were for the farming update.

Honestly, if something needs to be wiped, itā€™s this thread. It has already been going on for way too long.
Please, open a new thread and close this one.
https://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2012/10/ah-citydeath1-10-7-12-1349630759.jpg

2 Likes

Iā€™ll just jump in here to say would LOVE a few new permanent worlds that have some of the features of recent exos. Theyā€™ve really been incredible - been a number of spots Iā€™d have paid dearly to have been able to plot permanently. Especially some of the forests, really incredible atmosphere to some of them. And a few new permanents would give some folks needing to do things fresh perhaps new room to work withā€¦ could only see it as a benefit right now.

2 Likes

No necessarily true, but you would have to read a lot of forum posts to find some of the information or have been through EA to know some of what happened and the rationale they gave.

I think the overall problem with this might be cost, but it also where does it stop? So they do a second universe. . new players join, the game evolves and they want to do another wipe. So to not have issues with players in Universe 2 they create Universe 3 for changes going forward. Where does it end? The game has 3 universes all different in some way. How does a new player know where to go? If they want to play with a player in Universe 1 should they not be able to? I just see this getting really messy really fast.

I do think the farming update showed they can make bigger changes to the existing universe than we might have thought they could. The added new plants, they changed drops and density of the existing plants. I just think (maybe hope) that they can introduce more changes as long as the player base is willing to do enough testing and accept changes to existing items without a wipe. I will acknowledge that we might have to be willing to have the universe unavailable for an extended time when they make these types of changes, but I think it would be worth it.

5 Likes

Lmaooooo that image brings back memories. Definitely miss those battles.

1 Like

No we donā€™t need a wipe

2 Likes

Just to be clear since the vocal minority is so loud in here and drowns out the overwhelming evidence THAT it seems that most people are only willing to accept a Universe wipe IF AND ONLY IF WE CAN SAVE /BLUEPRINT OUR BUILDS.

I as many of you have have spent the past year working diligently in this game to carve something special out of the wilderness. In my case I have spent thousands of hours I think I really donā€™t know for sure but it seems like sometimes I live here in boundless lots of laughs course Iā€™m disabled so thatā€™s probably why. The reality is the day I lose all of my work without being able to save what I wish that is the day that I will leave this game and never come back. I am a gleam Club member from day 1 and one of the many of the community that are early backers. What called me to this game was the idea that I could create something and as long as I never allowed the beacon to become unfilled it would never go away. The Developers came right out and said the wipe at pre-release was a one-time thing and that once the game is released it would be a persistent universe.

I am more than happy to see a wipe though if we are able to blueprint and Save our builds and import them into the new universe.

2 Likes

A WIPE would KILL the game at this point. I myself would not return, I foresee most of players not wanting to rebuild what they had for the point to just have it possibly wiped again. I think the point and feature of this game that is apart from some other block building games as this is persistent, on going, multi player community. those who want to do WIPES and start over can do this fine to there own worlds on other games. But yes a blueprint system from other other games i seen has made playing again from after a wipe tolerable. Also came with that I didnā€™t loose everything, I came into the new start with character levels and a inventory of stuff.

4 Likes