šŸŒ A Guide to the New Universe ā­ | New Star Charts and Portal Info

Wipe and no wipe before the guarenteed wipeā€¦ I think

lol you can say it all you like mate but its not what the poll says.

This conversation is going nowhereā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

This sounds like a toilet tissue commercial.

5 Likes

I seriously donā€™t understand this mentality that

Release <---- Just a word

Has some Magical ability to completely change the game?!?
The game is currently released whether the devā€™s call it the released state is irrelaventā€¦

Its being Sold and people are forming opinions about said game.

When release happens there is going to be no special Influx of people, it just going to be another day in Boundless except this time it comes with a wipe of everythingā€¦

And my question is why?

Some people seem to think its because all of us playing now will have some special advantage!

I am far newer then most of the people playing currently. And I can tell you right now I see no special advantage that anyone who has been playing longer then me has! I mean advantage typically means there is something to win?!?
What are we winning here???

The advantage the vets have over me is going to exist with or without a wipe and that is they have built up a network of I know you and you and you and youā€¦ That is the only real advantage in this game is who you know! How many plots you have or how old your building is really has no merit, it doesnā€™t allow you to win the gameā€¦

Someone else said we need to test the game after a wipe to ensure its in balance?!?
How will it be differently balanced after this wipe?!? Why will balance change???

what does a building in the world or a road or a statue have to do with anything that requires balancing???

And then there are those who have said, I think we should wipe only the world and not the skills and lvlā€™s etcā€¦

And I find that to be the exact opposite, if there is any kind of wipe needed its for the levels and the skills because if there were some sort of imbalance that is where it would beā€¦ but I am yet to hear a logical arguement as to how you canā€™t currently figure out if things are currently in balance now without a wipe? How does a wipe discover this mythical imbalance?!?

A wipe, possibly 2, will happenā€¦ 'nuff said

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had a portal from munteen to therka for the past six months and itā€™s always only needed 6.

Nothing will have changed. We havenā€™t purchased a finished product though, we are product testers. Further down my previous post i explained exactly what i feel a ā€œpre-release wipeā€ (:rofl:) lwould change - it will put all the current players (testers) through the game from the start at the then final iteration of the game. This will significantly increase the number of players finding bugs and EXISTING IMBALANCES (if any) AT THAT POINT. It would be a sort of double check playthrough getting everyone to try everything from the start, as opposed to the current situation where most players are quite deep into the game with large stockpiles of materials that may not necessarily represent the current balance. I am confident that as a new player you have struggled with things that some of the older testers never did.

3 Likes

If this wipe doesnā€™t happen and they go into 1.0 with out that then so be it. The game will just balance afterward and they will lose a huge amount of people and get bad reviews because of the problems. I do appreciate that you did see through the ā€œcommunication styleā€ of my response and into the underlying issues and put that above everything else.

Please going forward, though, before you try to shame me or demonize me or make me sound like some bad person that just states opinion without facts, you should probably get a few facts yourself about who I am and how many posts I have done. You talk down to me in your response yet do the same thing in being critical of me instead of just focusing on the overall point I was making. I donā€™t call people out like that ever and the only time I have come close to that was when people were calling others literally stupid.

The context I put messages in is done for an exact reason and whatever you thought it was based on your post is incorrect. In fact you take my context and cut it in half to try to prove the point that I am a problem in the community. I NEVER post a ā€œthings MUST be like this or elseā€ unless the ELSE actually have a reason after it with explanation and examples to prove the point. Most of what I am talking about isnā€™t an opinion. It is based on facts ā€“ my examples keep it that way. Yes it is a view of what will happen but the logic shows the sequence of events. So you could define it as theory but certainly not a generic opinion like you tried to contextualize it as.

My posts over the past few days have been the way they are because of the lack of diplomacy in this community overall. Way too many times when I attempted to be all nice and sweet people shut things down because they are fanboys, think the developers canā€™t do anything wrong, or just refuse to consider any real view beyond what they see. They didnā€™t want a discussion.

So I will be softer in tone with the people that act the same way back. Those that refuse to see other views or just shoot you down because of whatever reasons they have get a very solid and clear response. People that actually READ the response and try to understand my context clearly see where I am coming from and respect it. They respect it even more because they have seen the posts where I am nicer or they have played with me in game and seen all the things I have done for people and how much I care. They understand that fairness in this game is important and donā€™t shoot someone down because they arenā€™t always ā€œpolitically correctā€ in their statements and instead are focused on solving the actual issues.

In the case of the wipe people have way too much invested in their builds. Hell, so do I. That is fine and understandable and I would support that 100% if the game didnā€™t need something else. But, people need to mature their view and look at this from a development perspective and put the game above their needs. Way too many people donā€™t put the game and fairness in front of their needs/values/etc. (e.g. the P2W plot discussion, etc). The like the unfair advantage because they hold it in this game and in so many others they cannot. So they think it is just fine to allow it here.

@Simoyd those segments between the planets represent the amount of blinksecs? Or is that just for show? Not sure if you explain that somewhere but that makes sense to me. :thinking:

yes each segment is a blinksec. This design was made by oYo (not sure what his forum name is). it has the same information in it as the blinksec table I posted basically.

1 Like

I think you have misread my post, the first two lines were regarding your communication style as I perceive it. The last paragraph was in response to many other replies in different threads by several people which come across as absolute or unquestionable, which makes dialogue / discussion difficult if not impossible.

Itā€™s unfortunate that you seem to have missed the part where I am of the few who bother to post in favour of your proposal on this one.

Thanks for such a detailed reply to my short post though.

1 Like

Blockquote In the case of the wipe people have way too much invested in their builds. Hell, so do I. That is fine and understandable and I would support that 100% if the game didnā€™t need something else. But, people need to mature their view and look at this from a development perspective and put the game above their needs. Way too many people donā€™t put the game and fairness in front of their needs/values/etc. (e.g. the P2W plot discussion, etc). The like the unfair advantage because they hold it in this game and in so many others they cannot. So they think it is just fine to allow it here.

My question stands Why?

So the answers I keep getting are the typical its standard operation procedure mentality, the Just because your suppose to wipe before release thought processā€¦ I donā€™t believe in that type of development at all. And wiping or not wiping wouldnā€™t change enough reviewā€™s to merit either way.

Again people seem to have some weird belief that this huge influx of players is going to happen the day of release because:
Release

Well thatā€™s a great reason but people arenā€™t sitting around waiting for boundless to release, they are simply getting the game on steam and trying it out. If its release or not really is not taken into consideration as every game in the world these days is in Permanent Development and every fan of the game uses this as a standard defense Moto: ā€œBut the game is only in Betaā€ As if 6 years of DayZ Beta forgives the fact its a ā– ā– ā– ā–  product that will never release. ā† One example.

I have seen plenty of games that have Not wiped on release day, and plenty that have. But neither of these things made those games a great success.

When I am asking why, should we wipe I expect something like:

Because at this starge of development the rarity of gems was altered to speed up the testing of gem mechanics and thus those players that were around at that stage have a huge stack of gems that were not available to others.

^^^^ This is just a made up example I have no idea if this is true or notā€¦ But I am trying to get to the point of Why meaning Why does a wipe make sense?

Because wiping simply because your suppose to before release is NOT an adequate answer.

There could be other more logical things to do like simply deleting every Gem Tool, Block, equipment and power coil.
And that could be enough to balance the playing field because at some point there actually was an imbalanceā€¦

Honestly as a newer player I have found this game for the most part to be pretty flawlessā€¦
The only issues I have had has been my town randomly deciding to not be a town which was eventually fixed thru a method that doesnā€™t really seem to make any sense but thatā€™s a different issueā€¦

And some minor issues with skills perhaps needing some tweaking but those tweaks are supposedly already in the works. But from a play ability standpoint a fun standpoint a feeling of a polished finished product standpoint this game feels completely polished stable and playable right nowā€¦ Its got the best economy I have seen in any game since Ultima Onlineā€¦

From my perspective I see no reason to wipe, I certainly donā€™t feel like the-mobieus or sly or anyone else has some special advantage on me simply because they have been here longer.

And finally why thank your supporters who helped you develop a great game bye deleting there world?!? If anything you should support those who have supported you thru development bye not wipingā€¦

@Sulfurblade It wonā€™t test much until new features are in to test.

The procedure to get where I am again will be exactly the same, I can just add X hours without a reliable big shop for a week or two.

@Xaldafax what are these balance problems?

1 Like

I think it would be desirable from point of view of development and game testing to have a wipe before release so the final content can be tested (balance of progression and such).
Between now and full release I would expect:

1. More content including new worlds and all planned resources, recipes and creatures as well as atmospheresā€¦ you know yourselves. No wipe after any of the big updates - just playing through testing all new features until all (or most) 1.0 content is checked for bugs and balance.
  2. Wipeā€¦
  3. Playing with all (or most) 1.0 features from scratch to simulate release moment and check balance of progression, get a final shape of tutorial and tips system as well as economy etc.
  4. Release - new universe comes in. Itā€™s not wipe per se, as we donā€™t play in the same worlds. More of a replacement of old planets with new ones.
7 Likes

and ofc our characters lose all progress :slight_smile: I think those 4 steps would be ideal

3 Likes

i do not agree with this concept :japanese_ogre:

in an other post you said:

I would be fairly surprised if there will be no special influx of people, considering that there will be a contemporary launch on PC and PS4

As it is now :boundless: Boundless :boundless: is not even advertised

And i agree also with a pre-wipe or at least
to switch the test server with the main, and wipe it, this way you can play with your stuff untill release in the test (ex-primary) world or start brand new in the primary (ex-test) world where you have all thats new to test as a new character.

this should give devs a massive amount of data and responses on every and each stage

4 Likes

The devs ought to get Sony to go for it with the advertisements :joy:

2 Likes

I agree that a wipe at the point of the 1.0 release (as is planned by the developers) is good for the game. I agree with @Tarahyumaro that with the release of Boundless on additional platforms the developers should expect an increase in players and need to plan around this. If the existing environment is not cleared then you do set up the existing players with an advantage. The advantage comes through the footfall = income mechanic. You have large cities and existing portal networks where some of the plot owners have a substantial income stream that new players cannot compete with. There are also planetary capitals with prestige of over 8 million. Kinda hard for a bunch of newbies to compete or overtake something that large when the existing settlements continue to expand. I know I also have a substantial inventory of materials that would give me a leg up over someone new.

The existing players are going to have a certain advantage since they already know the game mechanics. This is true in any game. The players who get the game earlier always have a certain advantage since they know the game and may have already developed alliances (or joined Guilds in the case of Boundless) that give them certain advantages over players that are brand new. This cannot be helped, but the advantages I noted in my first paragraph certainly can be blunted.

I do understand some players have invested large amounts of time into builds and are not pleased about loosing them. I certainly support the developers in archiving the existing planets before the reset (maybe people will like this word better than wipe). I do think that these archived planets should not be playable. I would prefer it if they are accessed differently than the live environment (maybe through a selection at launch) and should be in stasis where nothing can be changed, mined, brought into the live environment or deleted.

2 Likes