Economy system idea [Edit phrasing to better explain points]

Man, it’s like you’re my idea translator. Thank you very much brother.

1 Like

We all need one every now and then! I needed one recently and didn’t have one and I got frustrated as a result :tired_face:

Sorry about that… wish I could’ve return the favor :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah we discussed the idea and specifics areas about the idea but please make sure we keep in mind the original ideA :smiley:

ok I do understand but again. Why does this need to link to a capital? As has been stated there are ways for a capital to not be the center of commerce. Hunting platforms, places where hunts are started, and portal hubs generate footfall. So just because a place is a capital would not automatically make it a place to find shops. This is why I am not convinced that bringing the determination of the capital in really makes it linked to the economy.

Right, and I think it was agreed that you have a good point on that. I totally agree that could be gamed. Perhaps another value to add to the algorithm is to track coin spent (I think Rumple may have said that, or maybe I imagined it). Track coin value and items traded.

If this value can be added in, then it would stop the potential abuse you are describing, i think.

of course any of this convo assumes an algorithm with all these parameters could ever work together to begin with :blush: large assumptions

Why can’t the capital be linked to the economy? The activity algorithm can calculate sales into the activity score in addition to visits so the capital which is clearly marked on the world can change around showing as the best way to find a shop, a portal or a player.

I would like to add that this is my idea and it’s not meant to be pitched at anyone, I am not trying to convince players or the devs, I just want the idea discussed and if it doesn’t make sense please let me why :stuck_out_tongue: however if the idea is not clear I am happy to elaborate.

Which can also be manipulated. You and I buy the same item from each other for 1 million coin. If we get some of the coin taken away in tax back then we could do this for a while. And now the calculation is even more complex than it was before.

because this might not be the best way to find a shop. A mall with lower prestige and less footfall might be the best shop. Since the capital could have a decent mall but better prestige and a hub or some other generator of footfall it might not be the best place to shop based on prices, available items or amount of stock.

Which goes into the other section of my suggestion. A trading machine link to only shops in the same planet. Or are you arguing that is not a valid system :thinking:

But at the end the mission has been accomplished, capital is now a place where you can find a shop, portal or player… and people can begin to associate capital with active rather than high prestige.

You’re right. Anything is game-able. The only way I know to reduce that is by making it very complex to game. Otherwise I don’t have any reasonable solution. Any system will always be gamed. Reducing the gains from such behavior and discouraging the behavior as a whole are the only checks/balances.

2 Likes

No I read it but how does that affect anything? You are marking a capital based on prestige, footfall and sales data. So even if I have the best sales data, if I have lower prestige and footfall, then I may not be the capital. So again why is the capital identified as the best place to shop if it is not? Are we misleading players into thinking it is? Will new players get taken advantage of believing that the capital is the best place to shop?

Exactly!!! If you dont have the best prestige and unique visits you may still be in the runner up for capital because it’ll be an occumalative score which includes activity rather than JUST prestige.

The people that do that, abusing the system with the ways to have listed, should be looked down upon by the community as they are abusing the intent of a mechanic. Just like the footfall argument, system designed for A has been abused by doing B. That’s an entirely different topic. Systems designed to better the community shouldn’t be likewise used in alterior ways. But maybe that’s me wanting/asking too much, for humans not to … human. lol

In an ideal world, basing things off of legitimate trades, foot steps, etc, then new players would be correctly guided. Those abusing/gaming the system should honestly be dealt with in a different manner. This is the problem with sandbox games :slight_smile:

Ok I think we are not communicating well. I will just drop it. I do not want to frustrate you or myself.

Its already clear how I feel, so no point in beating a dead horse.

Why are players going to capital right now if is not the best place to shop? Why are we misleading them into thinking the higher prestige place is the best place to find anything?

I didn’t feel a horse was being beat. If anything you are/were helping prove out an idea/concept and in my mind helping to try to find a better idea, if it was even possible.

Who says they are? There is no data I am aware of to support the supposition that new players think the capital has shops. The forums and discord certainly discourage that.

Exactly :stuck_out_tongue: so what I am proposing is a slight change of how capital can be determined… If is determined with activity in mind the calculation it would be a good start for new players and existing players for a reliable way outside forums, discord etc to find players, shops, and portals out of intuition. It may not be the best per say but it’s a good starting point.

Well I can provide anecdotal experience on this. It’s exactly what I thought when II first started playing. “Oh look this place on my compass is different and unique, I’m going to go explore this.” Saw it was a huge city and got excited thinking there would be a lot of shops, but then I found it was mostly just a very expansive build. There were portals though so I did that but then I got lost. lol.

Fast forward some months down the road, my friend I bought the game for a couple of weeks ago had almost the exact same idea, im assuming we did these things based off how other games played in the past just naturally lead certain players to make that type of decision… Got there and there were shops, but many were empty/dead. She got lost in portals for some time before getting to the mall in Gyosha and then spending a good while running around in in circles before finally finding a basket to sell to and finally get her own money. She wasnt in a position yet to build a chrysominter and I wasnt giving her info on the game as she wanted to experience it organically. If I had given her the chrysominter info earlier,it may have stopped her from quitting the game so early. After she said she wasnt going to play any more I tried to explain how the chryso worked, but she was already done at that point. She had not started mining to find the materials to make one at that point. She liked to surface gather and build. That wasn’t the only reason she quit playing though, that was just her top concern.

Sorry, way off track there, but just wanted to provide some anecdotal experience to the particular question in mind.

2 Likes

I am speaking from experience too, when I started back in EA there was no compass, so I didn’t go far from my build.
Weeks later the compass was released and I saw homes, builds and portals. I found Eleportas a city wondering through portals but once that portal closed I was lost again… Didn’t know what to do or where to go. So I decided to go towards the capital marker. And found @Havok40k capital New Berlin that had shops and connected to the portal Network. That helped me buy iron tools and I started to farm better things… So to me when I think of a Capital I immediately think progress, portals, shops, and players.

Edit:
After finding the capital it boosted me up and I was able to progress better and meet people otherwise prior to that I didn’t see anyone for like 2 weeks… I woulda quit after that if I didn’t find anyone because I was coming from ESO and that was filled with people and for an MMO even in EA I was surprised it was so empty.

2 Likes