Et tu, Brute?

Then post it on discord. They have no control there.

oh wait you can’t because it’s all fake and lies. My bad

I am rather doubtful that someone got banned for saying something about this… :confused:

1 Like

This isn’t Watergate… This isn’t Cambridge Analytica… so why are we acting like it is?..

3 Likes

I think perhaps the Caesar reference has everyone riled?

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly, well said.

A lot of new players have no idea we were putting our money in to get each feature of the game built. :cry:

Just some drama. You’ve been around for a while haven’t you sly? Surely you’ve noticed this happens every few months. Someone makes a big spectacle that they’re leaving because of X. They typically come back a few weeks-months later and make a big “I’m back” post. :sleeping:

7 Likes

Honestly, I say let James explain what’s going to go on, because although you claim to have seen it in the code @Karko, we have no evidence that any of that is set in stone. The devs have carefully listened to our input in the past, and looking at how they’ve approached everything so far, I doubt they’d come to any extreme decisions.

6 Likes

Back to the topic, I am not a fan of micro transactions in general but I can understand that they become necessary in an environment where games are no longer just developed and put out for sale as a once off thing. The expectation is there that content must be kept updated, new features released etc and this does require ongoing funding.

That being said, HOW it is done or WHAT is charged for makes a huge difference (and impacts different people in different ways). I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread during the last day and just couldn’t help thinking - why NOT sell things?

Bear with me for a second here. In-game, we have an economy. There is a multitude of other threads to refer to regarding this, the two main topics i feel are relevant are “if everyone can do everything then there won’t be any trade” and “newbs can just go buy gem tools and they’re endgame powerful”.

The former has a good argument for it, countered by the major issue that you can’t do all things at the same time, so depending on how much your time is worth or which bits feel too grindy - people will still trade.

The latter is harder to find a good counter-point for, but it seems that the higher tier worlds and the skill points needed to survive on them are still reasonably effective at not allowing someone to simply coast straight to “the end”.

Now for my argument here - some people have coin to spare, so they can buy a full shop stand worth of gleam and just plop it down. Others have to work hard to get the materials they need/want. Others still, enjoy getting the stuff - that’s the point of the game to them.

IF a pay system is introduced (going straight out hypothetical here) which allows people to do with real money what the game allows players to do with in-game currency - how would that be different? Some people with coin to spare will buy their way straight to what they want - and enjoy it. Others may not be able to do so, and will have to grind for what they need / want. Others still may completely ignore the option and enjoy going about without such benefits…

In this regard I can’t see how extending the economy of BOUNDLESS beyond the boundaries of the in-game world is necessarily a bad thing. The only issue I am worried about is attaching a fixed real-world price to an in-game article. This could dictate the PRICE of an in-game item which may not necessarily agree with its in-game VALUE. From this item, other prices could be fixed disregarding the value of those things in the game world.

Just thinking out loud here, any rational opinions?

5 Likes

I like what luca said. I truely feel that that devs plan to move a healthy direction.

5 Likes

The unfortunate reality is that once you have a mechanism for translating real world currency into virtual items/benefits (especially ones that give players a competitive edge), it’s really hard for non-paying players to ignore. Players that can afford to purchase things tend to get tremendous advantages (that snowball over time), and players that don’t are relegated to a “second class”. See Diablo 3’s auction house for a great example of this.

I think that general line of thinking applies to sandbox games like this. We’re competitive with our builds/prestige/shops/etc.

2 Likes

I never bought a single thing on the auction house from release all the way until it was removed. The only person who thinks you’re a second class citizen is you.

1 Like

Judging from all the uproar about the auction house, and Blizzard’s decision to remove it, I don’t think it was just me.

3 Likes

Why don’t we just wait for us to be told what it is, rather than assuming we can p2w? Nothing has been proven, or even said.

6 Likes

My understanding is that the main reason they removed it was because it brought new players up to the 99th percentile in power level for almost no cost because most people playing were searching for that last 1 percent of power and the market was flooded with anything lower. This enabled new players to just have everything at basically no cost, which is kind of the opposite problem of P2W…

1 Like

I’ll just say 99% I don’t understand my own code I wrote few weeks ago, figuring out someone else’s code which is probably also obfuscated is quite a feat.

10 Likes

tumblr_llmeauY0TY1qedubm
me riding the drama llama looking for the p2w system announcement.

12 Likes

U WIN :joy:

1 Like

I played D3 and played around with the AH during that time… can confirm everything that you just said.

2 Likes