Fake guild members, faking to be another guild

Apparently it is possible to create a new guild with a similar name as an already existing one.

When you get prompted to enter a guild tag the system checks if the tag already exists, this works, but it does not take into account any extra spaces before or after it.

I created a new guild, Boom goes the Night, then created a new temporary character called Nightfarmer, used the guild tag ’ BNIGHT’ and showed myself to @Nightstar

BNIGHT is Nightstar’s guild and he soooo does not farm :smiley:

But unsuspecting people might mistake someone with that tag as being Nightstar’s.

NOT a good thing!

@James

Found this out thru something else which I will inform James about in a PM…

1 Like

Should we permanently ban players who do this sorta thing?

What on earth is the point of trying to pretend to be a member of a guild you’re not a member of? Can’t be for good reasons now, can it?

No, I don’t think so. The number of possible guild tags is limited, and the likelihood that there will be some very similar or almost identical tags is just an eventuality. You can’t really ascribe malice to two matching guild tags. If people are mimicking other guild tags in order to misbehave and defame a targeted guild, then they should be banned for that behavior, not just for matching tags.

5 Likes

Uncool and toxic… hope the Devs help you all out unraveling all this…assuming there are nefarious intentions

I don’t really similar names should be a bannable offense. Think of all the people who name their characters different spellings of Legolas lol. But I agree spaces before or at the end of a guild name should not be allowed by the system for the exact reason you stated. A space is a lot harder to notice than a “1” instead of an “L”

2 Likes

I thought the system didn’t allow duplicate names? I think most people want a unique name, not sure why someone would copy someone else’s name.

I wish we could see a current list of Guild & settlement names.

What if I tell you this is an alt of a person who was a former guild member of Nova Golda, has been rather spewing negative stuff on forums and in game, done some serious grieving and is now running around with a fake GOLDA guild tag?

Coincidence? Or just done to annoy or have nefarious plans for it?

2 Likes

See the OP, explains it all! :wink:

To annoy and/or grief…

That’s kind of weird lol. But can they really accomplish anything like that? I can’t imagine their objective lol

No idea, am not a mind reader :wink:

Could be just to scare/annoy me or they want to do things in the name of my guild that aren’t exactly nice…

I remember an incident a while back of some known guild where some newer members did negative stuff but the guild was negatively talked about. They didn’t know they did that stuff and kicked them. I can imagine someone wanting to do such things and get others into trouble or something…

1 Like

I see what you are saying now. You said you PM James. I think that is for the best.

(A side note, in general…not @ Aenea)
When there are people that do things in game - with no other purpose but to be malicious towards other players - they should be BANNED. There is no reason to allow people to continue to harass others. I’m all for 2nd chances, but there are a few people that have shown that they do not respect others nor the CoC. Some have been given warnings. If there are no consequences, these people will continue to harass the people that are just here to enjoy the game. They will continue to run off the people that you want to keep here.

The other day, I went through the ToS of 7 or 8 large MMOs. Some give 3 warnings then a ban. Depending on the offense, some did insta-bans. It’s not good to allow toxicity to fester & spread. No one wants to be around that.

8 Likes

So if you look at Boundless as being Game of Thrones they can screw your guild’s reputation…use your imagination.

1 Like

If that was the case, then I’d absolutely make devs aware of the situation, but also document as much evidence first hand as possible to reinforce your case.

4 Likes

The leading/trailing space issue is a bug and shouldn’t be allowed, we’ll fix it and probably force some renames to resolve invalid clashes.

5 Likes

Thanks blake!

Hopefully it’s done quickly because in the instance that was witnessed it is not a coincidence and very much so done on purpose…

Maybe its a compliment @AeneaGames XD they’re so desperate to be a part of your guild they had to go to the trouble of making a fake. Crikey, don’t they have better things to do in game?? lol!

2 Likes

Apparently not!

1 Like

As the leader off I’ll uminotti I agree this is awfull

2 Likes

Wait, what!?

I think it was a joke haha

1 Like