Feedback from Goo Farm

So after growing over 2000 goo kernels from the current exos (select colours) and regrowing multiple times trying to mutate. Here is what I have come to the conclusion of.

Negatives
It is extremely hard to mutate towards a colour, it takes multiple steps, so if you lose the next colour seed in the cycle, then all that time is wasted. I have managed to achieve 45 different colour goo, which are all variations of the Reds/pinks/purples, with a few random mutations. My suggestion would be having a maximum Seed possibility of 100%. I get that takes it out of having to consistently farm the seeds/colours, but it also takes the fun/effort out of doing it when you lose the seed on one of the steps. Another way around that would be rebalancing in the steps needed to mutate towards a specific colour. For example, a 50% mutation chance to go directly to the colour with a 50% chance of losing the seed? Or something along them lines.

Another thing that I feel needs rebalancing a lot, the goo to spray ratio is ridiculous. The amount of goo gotten to how many blocks it sprays makes it totally not usable/sellable. At that amount, let’s say the average build is 3000 blocks, that would use 2419 Goo Pigment (fully coiled machine) of 1 given colour. The current market would demand around 500-1000 for one goo pigment (average 750) would put the build price at 1.8m coins, just for them blocks.

Positives
It’s really fun waiting for the goo to grow, hoping it will change towards a different colour to what you have. I think the time of the goo to grow is perfect, with the possibility of drastically reducing it with the High-octane.

@james I get this is an end game thing, I get that you’re wanting to add some sustainability for end players. But I feel the numbers need rebalancing so that this doesn’t dishearten/put people off doing it full stop.

Edit: Not being able to spray marble directly really sucks

Nawty :v:t3:

7 Likes

What really has me disappointed is that you can only mutate a color by planting the goo on gleam, and there’s no gleam in the color I want yet. I’d have to wait for the one exo-world with luminous red gleam…
Might take a freaking long time, might even happen when I’m not able to play the game… :confused:

Didn’t collect any from Gleambows? That’s how I’m doing my shadow cerulean goo

I wasn’t able to play during that event, there was a huge work-load to deal with, IRL.
If that was a monthly event (or even one day every two months), it’d be nice, but it’s not. :s

2 Likes

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn’t the growth rate exponential? Once you achieve the color seed you are looking for anyhow.

If you can make the seed yield over 100%, every iteration of farming for seeds should produce more and more seeds, until you have a farm of hundreds/thousands of the same color. Yes this will take a LONG time to get a decent farm of every color, but once the effort is put in your supply will be high, demand will be the same(3k blocks to paint), and the price would fall. Once you get a mega sized farm of each color up and running you would never have a need for seeds, aside from selling them to someone wanting to start their own farm.

Goo tops out at 95% seed yield

3 Likes

Like uniek said it tops out at 95% and that’s with a 10% crop. That being said, that was on rock too. Which is completely pointless, because you’re planting a seed with a 95% chance to get the seed back with a 10% goo pigment return.

So let’s say I have 1000 seeds of a colour I want, the best balance set up I have found is 220% crop 80% seed. Meaning I would get roughly 5 cycles with them seeds (RNG) while exponentially losing 20% of the seeds each time and gaining 220% Goo pigment each time. Which would be ~4000 Pigment from 1000 seeds.

Well good news! One of the planets that has goo has luminous red goo…

1 Like

That’s if rng doesn’t wreak havoc on you.

2 Likes

One of the exo-world currently available?

I believe it was Pendronethand. But not 100%

I think I went on that one. Got warm fuschia, cherry and colors like that.

So Deco then

Yeah that is ridiculous. What is the point of letting us be horticulturalists if we cannot even get the plants to reproduce? Everything should at least be over 100% so that it is possible to profit seeds. I would be less upset if they locked a 6% seed yield boost behind a 5 point skill than not letting us farm for goo seeds at all. We need some additional farming skills anyhow :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Ragit has luminous red

I described a bit the thought process behind Goo production here @illuminawtyness :

I was like you when i was the testing thinking 100% seed return was the way to go, but after some thinking having less than 100% will make sense over time.

Isn’t it Decos? They kinda pop up fast at the moment and have a hard time to remember what came from who h planet… It was the second planet that had goo…

Edit: yeah Ragit! Thanks stomp!

It’s annoying with the loses. I’m aiming to mutate them into the nearest primary colours I could find or had and mix them in theory you should be able to get most colours tho lost volume due to 10% It won’t be an endless supply

I made a post yesterday asking what scale is used to predict how the goo will mutate. I guess no one knows yet and devs either havent seen my post or want us to figure it out for ourselves. Personally, i’ve come to the conclusion morphing goo is a waste of time and we’re better off with using the 350% crop yield and mixing the pigments to get desired colors. Unless you’re aiming for white/black sprays.

1 Like

I understand how the mutation works but its behind an unknown algorythm, it works like paint would do. If you add black to a color it will darken it, white will lighten it etc. This is a similar algorythm for the pigment processor and goo mutation. I may come with something eventually if we can figure out the algorythm.

We didnt figure out yet why some color like mixing 1 white and 1 black become rust salte and not a grey variation.

Roughly the logic behind the goo mutation is that it will check every color between the starting point(goo color) to end point(gleam color) and shift toward from the start point to the end point by one step. There is still a 20% chance to shift toward a random direction in the color scheme

For the pigment processor it will add all the color together in the mix then take the closest color in the boundless color tab from the result.

3 Likes

Gotta say, I’ve had a really bad time with RNG yesterday on goo.
In my “seed optimized” setup for goo (which clocks at 90% seed yield), RNG made me loose a 1/3 of my goo kernels, I couldn’t re-plant all, and probably lost the most advanced mutated colors I had.
Kinda pissed about it.

Really hope the devs re-balance that stuff out!

1 Like