Cans of paint, 1 block painted per can?

Actually if you plant them right, you can get 3-4 pigments per seed.

1 Like

Thx for the correction, only had pigments on harvesting my mutating crops.

Getting 3-4 pigment on the last step makes it a bit better, but i still hoped the spraycan would work on more than one bloc (tho i wouldnt imagine painting a 1metre cube with a single spraycan irl :p)

2 Likes

And then lose the seed…

Especially not a nice idea when it took several mutating grows to get to that colour!

All in all I was also very surprised to notice you can only use 1 whole can of paint on ONE block. The trouble you have to go to to get the right goo colour (might need several stages of mutating first), then growing it and then you finally can colour 1 block! Whoopteedoo

This is not what I expected when James said the following:

Perhaps I’m mistaken and it will become easier and easier over time but right now it does only create a handful of blocks in a novelty colour :frowning:

3 Likes

And the only “efficient” way of creating them is buy really expensive coils that boost output by 24%…

1 Like

Importantly though, this is a game, after all. We don’t grow spray paint pigments on top of caverns in real life either. :stuck_out_tongue:

My point being that a system like this should definitely go into the depths of creative freedom and fun without getting bogged down too much by “realistic” concerns. When I read the name Boundless, I want to think Boundless creative freedom.

Currently I have over 900 goo seeds from one of the exos… But I haven’t even started planting them yet, as I can’t seem to find the motivation to create the space required for so much goo farming, for the amount of blocks it’ll let me colour… Not to mention, as you’ve said, the time it takes to prepare and let it all grow etc…

2 Likes

How many coils can go one one pigment processor.

1600 rough blink for sale at Mark et Mark in new Ultima for anyone wanting to make pigment power coils

Edit for location;
(-1404N, -1274E Altitude 64 Eresho)

24 coils around the machine. Total bonus of 24%.

2 Likes

You don’t need to rely on mutation to get the right spray colour. You can mix up to 6 different goo colours at a time in the pigment processor, in varying quantities, to make lots of other colours too. Just a case of trying combinations and then hitting the craft button. It’s not a blind craft either, as you can see what colour you will get before you commit to crafting.

3 Likes

Losing the seeds and being able to generate some seeds is the bug part that annoy me with this new patch

I also think they want you to look at the previous steps in crafting. If you color the blocks before processing, like color the rock before turning to Stone? Then you have the color as the base material and more of it?

1 Like

Seems to be most efficient way: coils for paint mixer then, using spray machine for raw material.

And in case of marble, use refined…

1 Like

Yeah that’s why I said I need to see how it goes… Hopefully the new T6 has goo in a totally diff range of colours!

I’m almost of a mind to just farm goo for pigment yields and mix colors later. My original goal was to grow goo to a certain set of basic colors, being vibrant blue, red, green, white, etc and then mix

Color mixing gonna come with time after many exos spawned.

Here is just some stats after my harvesting this may help some to not give up on them. I harvested around 2500 goo kernel (seed) on Pendromethand under ~1h30(this planet had 20% in the resources tab). If you plant it right away using the maximum yield possible (~3,5 pigments per crops) would end up with ~8750 pigment.

8750 pigment in the processor will equal to 8750 spray cans then you can spray 8750 blocks. Ratio 1:1 without coils. (10850 with 24 coils)

You can mutate them also. The worst scenario it would take up to 13 rounds( not suggested to do this). So this would mean you end up with ~ 2224 Goo kernel(10% seed lost for each rounds) which with you can spray the same amount of blocks (without coils).

I understand some may want paint more block than this, but overtime you will stack the pigments then you have several way to mix them up to get the desired colors like @Stretchious pointed out.

You will have many ways to achieve the desired colors.

• Mutate to the desired colors.
  • Mutate to the colors that the mix will end up with the desired color.
  • Harvest the mix colors from exoworlds.

I can add up that the thought process behind the lost of seed on mutation is so it doesn’t end up in a endless mutation rotation to the desired colors. So you will have to be “smart” about it and try to mutate to the closest color for your mix.

Keep in mind this is a crop meant for end game.

5 Likes

Those are good points. I was trying to see if I could force some seeds in a certain direction, but it’s not really efficient that way. Lots to think about with all of this stuff

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but I just got into Goo farming…have the farm up and was tinkering with configurations and I have one configuration that has a seed of 93% (really it should be 92.5% but the system rounds up) and a yield of 95%. Since there is no way to plant goo with a 100% seed…and 95% is the max you will always have at least a 5% loss of seed per planting. The 95% seed seems to have a 0% yield so it is only good for making a targeted color Goo seed. The maximum yield has an 80% seed…a 20% loss per planting…in exchange for a 220% yield…so about 3 or 4 particles for making spray. The configuration I am looking to use though is gives almost a moderate approach…almost at max seed with about 1 particle yield. I am not sure if the Farmer Epic affects Goo yield but with that in consideration it should be roughly 115% yield…so maybe 1 or 2 particles.

My thought is to set the target color and try to progress the color to the target and collect all the extra goo particles along the way and sort them for the pigment machine…maybe as raw fodder to get more spray cans out of it. The downside I found with this configuration is that the growing row is 7 blocks wide and only 2 of those blocks actually have goo on them so it is expensive to setup in terms of land mass. The loss of another 2.5% seed is the other cost…but at least it is only about 2 goo seed more loss per 100. Slowest I could get while still having yield.

Epic farming skill only applies to the crop yield not the seed yield iirc

Go on test, all of these numbers will be off if the next patch ever drops… you get like metric tons more spray cans for the same amount of goo, seed numbers are still the same