First thing that comes to your mind when

yeah the problem is a troll that comes and constantly causes mining craziness. I guess it comes down to if blocking completely is allowed or not.

People could not have a monopoly on any color basically because the color system is coming out… but that might be a concern due to ease of gathering versus having to make.

1 Like

Maybe those are MY wildstock and I believe in PETA and that no animal should die!!! RUDE killer you are! :slight_smile:

Yeah I agree that the player base really has nothing to do with rented or private planets on many levels - especially rented universe connected. If we are talking about MMO interaction maybe but beyond that cities can still exist and everything. So people can interact.

Many times people just focus on overall player counts of a game versus public/private player counts. On some levels people will not be happy they see less people but on another level that won’t matter if the overall game numbers are low.

2 Likes

Exactly.
And as much as that makes sense if we talk public vs. private (excluded), here we talk rented worlds.
Players renting those will still take part in overall universe life as they won’t have all resources/colors available on the owned planet(s) - I can see the whole renting thing as means to control city building above all, and then resources/colors ownership to a degree, but not going too far for obvious reasons of balance.

I don’t think large number of rented worlds owners will affect entire MMO sustainability as much as in case of closed private worlds sucking big part of player base out.

I always wanted rental planets. What I would like from it is that we can kinda choose our planet styles (If I want it to look like Antar VI, I could choose that) and that people are free to visit, but cannot build anything there (perhaps a max block placement cap of 20 blocks in case someone comes mining or something) but that you can block or whitelist people (at own risk).

However, I am at a point where I’ve spent so many hours building my base, I am not sure if it’s worth moving anymore. I’ve learned to deal with trolls and just ignore them and ask James for help in troubled cases. Moving now would just feel like a complete waste of time, unless I can transfer my current plots and builds to an Antar VI replica world. Anyway, not sure I care about rental worlds now.

1 Like

At%20last

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about rented worlds is the current worlds becoming even more barren, and all the fun and drama that will happen when people are allowed to abuse power over each other. Good times.

As for how I feel about rental words, I have already made peoples eyes bleed with my stance on that topic in the past.

In a nutshell, The owner of the world should not have much or any power over other players.

You can find the bulk of my feelings in the following topic and the posts I link in that topic.

2 Likes

My biggest concern would be that items farmed/mined will be allowed to be brought into the live universe.

This sets up a scenario where people pay real money for resources that they control access to.

And regardless of how altruistic some say they would be, it’s just creating a template for the unscrupulous to abuse.

The only way it would be OK to allow mats obtained on a rental world into the live universe, is if there was no restrictions on who can enter that world and gather the mats, but then what would be the point? (I assume those that want private planets would be thinking)

If I was to push my thoughts to the furthest of its pessimism of rental worlds, it sets up a system to allow wanna-be mini dictators to have control over others, for example:

I set up my shop on my private world, and sell stuff really cheap, but you need to ask my permission to be allowed on my planet to buy it, oh, and you better be nice to me or I’ll ban you.

Or I have an amazing spot with tons of glow caps on my planets, I’ll set up a farm, but here are my rules you have to stick to to be allowed on my planet, oh, and you better be nice to me or I’ll ban you.

And so on…

I have to say, that none of us know for sure how rental/private planets are going to work, but the above are worst case scenarios, and are P2W (as in, pay to have a distinct advantage).

I really can’t see a way to do these in a way that does not give a P2W advantage without removing the reasons that people want them!

Guess that’s why I don’t envy a game developers job on Boundless at the moment.

3 Likes

First thing? Coffee.

4 Likes

That’s already happening with players plotting best diamond spots (2 such set ups on Muliarakrib).

I don’t think interacting with shop stands/baskets will be locked behind permissions. Also blocking from entering the world shouldn’t be allowed.

Visiting worlds will most likely be out of restriction mechanics and as for the last part, I think there are a lot of people that would be ready to pay for the world simply for the right to freely beacon and build there. It’s already quite big incentive for some (including me). There are groups of people that would love to build cities without danger of their expansion being blocked or themed idea being upset by rogue builders.

1 Like

nocoffee

5 Likes

Yes, it does, but this would just be going deeper into that rabbit hole.

Absolutely, but I have already hear/read from many that they look forward to deciding who can and can’t enter their planet, with the justification, ‘I’m paying for it so I get to control it’. And to be fair, while I don’t agree with that sentiment, I can understand it.

I guess I’m of the mind that if the person who is paying for the planet has any say over who is or isn’t allowed to enter the planet, then none of the mats from that world should be allowed to enter the live universe, but on the flip side, if the player paying has no say over the rules of the planet there would be a lot of people who think, what’s the point!

There will be a small group, like yourself, that is willing to pay just for a private place to build, which is great, but I’m not sure that would have a wide enough appeal to get the sort of return to justify their creation.

But, again, this is all speculation, as no-one knows how they will work, and until there are some concrete details from the devs (which has a few threads of its own at the moment) what always comes to mind is the worst case scenario, which I sincerely hope does not come to pass.

2 Likes

they might well be mistaken thinking that’s going to be the set up - hopefully that’s the case

1 Like

Entitled douchbags is the first thing that comes to mind. But thats due to personal stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really dont hope you get unlimited plots by renting a server. Atleast if that server/planet was connected to the rest. It would waste all the money ive spent when missing a plot here and there and thus wound up purchasing cubits to get said plots. Rental servers shouldnt ruin previous purchases!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!

You really think it would be that cheap? Honestly I’m expecting a higher price. If it’s at that priced I’d probably get 2 or 3 :sweat_smile:

Hey thats me!

2 Likes

it did look familiar, alright! :joy:

1 Like

I know a lot of these comments were made before the farming update was announced for test. So I think some of the objections might not really apply any more. For a rented planet here is what I would expect.

1 – I should be able to choose whatever colors and tier planet I want. With the introduction of the dye system there is no longer any color that cannot be created so a player can no longer really have a true monopoly on a color. I may have cyan blue sand, but you can dye any block cyan blue by farming and mixing the color. I think if I am allowed to plot around gems (resources) on a public planet (which is allowed) then there is no difference in having gems on a rented planet. I can buy the plots to plot on a public planet and pay for them once and they are mine until I unplot it. With a rented planet, I have to pay every month. Which actually is a cheaper route?

2 – I should be able to limit who can build on a rented planet. Without this there is really not any point. All you are doing is buying a planet for the rest of the player base.

3 – I should be able to limit who can mine/gather on a rented planet. Without this the area around anything I build is subject to being constantly disturbed, trees removed, ground dug up, etc. Why should I have to deal with this on a planet I am paying for? Even if it does regen, nothing says that a constant stream of visitors might decide the area next to my build is a good source of orbs and constantly be tearing it up. If this means you have to have no visitors at all then that would be a choice the person renting the planet would have to make.

Without these I am not sure it is worth renting a planet. The control is not about being a “dictator” as some have speculated, but about being able to do everything possible to protect the integrity of builds and the area around the builds. I personally pick spots to build because I like the features be that water, mountains, or whatever. I do not want that changed any more than I want to have players putting arbitrary plots in the middle of settlements.

I do understand some of the concerns. I do not think anyone wants a mechanic that will hurt the game to be introduced. However, this has been something that the developers have been talking about for quite a while and I do think that some players might take them not being introduced the same as players that would not like it if Titans were never introduced. As far as it making the planets look even more empty, I think with 50 planets and probably not more than 500 players (my personal estimate) they are already empty. If the mechanic encourages players to come back or play more then I think this is good for the game.

Edit done after a few likes so they might want to remove them.

As far as having free plots on the planet. I go back and forth. I like it because a few of us have talked about building a city that literally covers the planet and paying for or earning those would be almost impossible.

2 Likes

we shall see how it works out though - looks like atmosphere decides about the tint of crop used to produce color sprays, so not so many tints available there

then there is the color mixing in the pigment processor - exactly how much control will we have there? will making any of the 256 colors be possible or easy enough to really flood market with sprays and make mining for color redundant?

I’m wondering how strong/opaque the pigment will look on the blocks. Will a dyed block have as much color saturation as a block occurring naturally with that color?

2 Likes