Fog "flash" - motion sickness - could also cause seizures

Meteor particles when it’s active kill my fps so bad. I’m pretty sure some day I will hit negative fps and the world will instantly collapse

1 Like

That’s OK if two new worlds will spawn! :joy:

1 Like

Similar thing happens to me when i equip a tool with a quirk on it or if too many healing bombs are thrown, both create insane lag.

An option to turn down all particles (as well as specific ones) would both be nice.

5 Likes

Please oort gods hear our prayers

1 Like

This effect in particular is pretty bad (it also seems worse on the test server). It makes it nigh on impossible to do anything where movement is involved. It also made me feel like my character was on fire :grimacing:

4 Likes

I second this motion to remove the effect.
Try holding a diamond torch as well.
The glow from the torch would make it even worse

Please share a list or some screenshots of the weather effects that are visually challenging then we can look at improving them. (I also suffer from motion sickness so am v. sympathetic to others suffering from this.)

7 Likes
2 Likes

Could there be way that this fog/smoke would just not shown on certain radius around player based for example player speed and light amount player is emitting?

Here are some:

9 Likes

Yup, that’s them! Those two middle pics are the worst for me.

Overall, I do like the effect of it, but what if it was more gravitized (is that even a word? Haha) to the ground? Like at tall grass height being max height. As if cool rain hit warm blacktop.

3 Likes

First and last are ok - they are needed as weather is supposed to challenge us. We are meant to explore in sunlight, nighttime, rain, snow, mist, storm etc.

It’s the middle two that are bad, as they can harm some players.* However, even field of play is desired, so it shouldn’t be “fixed” by giving an option to turn it off. It should either be removed for all players, or changed to a degree that allows safe play.

• I don’t suffer from any unpleasant physical experiences looking at those, but even I would love to change it as it really makes playing too difficult (especially when combined with nighttime and dark color blocks around).
4 Likes

Is fog effect volume particle system generation or using alpha transparency image planes? If image plane used to save on gpu resources. There is some fixes to resolve this issue with out sacrificing performance. Theres a few nice unity and unreal engine tutorials that address this. Cheers!

There have been times that this fog/effect was so bad I couldn’t see anything lol. It usually happens when I’m exploring an Exo. Total white out (even more than this pic).

Edit to add:
I usually try to avoid taking screenshots when the effects are near 100%…so I don’t have many, but here is one I took while exploring…

4 Likes

I also have a lot of motion sickness issues. In addition to the fog/particle/whatevers above, I’ve noticed that sometimes certain worlds will seem to be experiencing what looks to be like a sandstorm. When that happens, it’s also very difficult to see and gives me quite a headache.

I’m reluctant to add further to this list because my computer is just crappy and probably many of the things that cause me motion sickness are just lag. But I would be all for a way to either minimize or remove particle effects, as it would probably reduce my lag quite a bit.

1 Like

Those pics… welcome to Minnesota winters haha

3 Likes

The only time I’ve ever seen a white out like that is when there is a tornado during the daytime. You can’t see anything… it’s not like the movies a lot of the time.

1 Like

It really triggers my motion sickness to where I get headache and nauseous and have to stop playing. Being able to toggle the effect off would greatly improved quality of life for playing.

3 Likes

Yes, Great Request!!! I would like to add my vote for the fog to either go away or lessen at least…really plays with the eyes! Also I think an option to toggle fog on and off would be a happy medium for those that enjoy the fog.

Thank you for posting this OP!

1 Like

{Whisper} {Whisper} if you come out with the Hunter I wanna keep the fog on Houches it be that much more Scary/Spooky lol

3 Likes