Footfall status after Release 211

This was posted about 10 minutes ago.

2 Likes

I was also told on Discord they agree/are aware that there is a beacon coin issue.

This is true regarding many issues here.

Itā€™s great that the dev team have been and remain closely involved with the community. I guess theyā€™ve gone for a few years maintaining various ā€œalphaā€ and ā€œbetaā€ and ā€œpre-releaseā€ statuses.

The f act is thereā€™snot documentation about how very much works in the game. I was in several weeks before i had sorted out what the various HUD symbols meant and have had towork my way through several lessons that would have saved me hours, possibly tens of hours, if the actual plotting rules were published.

It seems like the harder I try the less loot i get as a hunter, but there is zero hard information regarding expectations from a meteor hunt, or what to expect in a level 3/level 1 meteor vs a level 4 / Level 1.

I still dontā€™ understand why when i die in moments I get oort but each time i have an epic battle and die I come back for nothing.

I set up a centraforge, then took it down. Iā€™ll have to be bored of both building and hunting before I try to crack that undocumented nut.

Even worse, with nothing official to turn to, are the many rules of thumb ofr tips that players have managed to sort out on their own. The plotting change really has highlighted how much misunderstanding exists there.

Iā€™m sorry this isnā€™t on beacon coin but it seems like itā€™s in line with your concerns and I just want to say, I agree with you 110%.

1 Like

Perhaps it is because the systems are much more complicated than people realize and that the only way they know to explain it is in programming terms that most gamers donā€™t understand. They tried explaining the new Settlement calculation and it looked very much like that just confused players further.

3 Likes

What I found after lucas was kind enough to answer some simple questions with clear data about the system rules was that the whole thing was much simpler than anyone thought.

It was so simple, and the things people had gone through to figure it out were so different and complicated - people seemed to have a hard time accepting how simple it was.

It was also mixed in/confused with an entirely new system and the change of plotting rules at the same time as the change in naming rules was a bit much. And I had to ask the same question three times to get an answer that I could interpret into a binary ā€œyesā€ or ā€œnoā€.

Especially since nobody actually knew how the plotting system was working, apparently. Now I see how i could have fixed my problem by either adding OR removing plots. This would have led me to think one person was correct and one was incorrect, when in fact both would have been wrong regarding the reason my settlement couldnā€™t resolve.

Things definitely vary person to person. Exploring unexpected intersection of rulesets and field conditions isone of my major interests in a system like this, though. I understand that isnā€™t the case for everyone.

Occamā€™s razor is a thing, and a lot of times ā€œcomplicationsā€ arise from people thinking something must be complicated.

I 100% assure you that if the rules and logic are laid out clearly enough for a computer to apply them, they can definitely be parsed by a human. Even if we take a little longer than the computer.

Also, none of thi is applicable to why there isnā€™t a web page or an in game help page or even stickied/highlighted forum post that shows each of the HUD icons and tells a new player what they mean.

This is not an isolated or situational issue, itā€™s a matter of ā€˜business cultureā€™.

3 Likes

6 Likes

laughcry

1 Like

If this is a nerf then I will start posting ā€œthe economy is brokenā€ threads! :joy:

I just want to say I think the last change to forging was good because of the changes to effectiveness allowing newer players to utilize the forging the system.

Also, I will say that I have only been able to forge something to rank to 340 since then. Maybe this is just me.

However I CAN forge a T6 1 shot hammer pretty reliably with draining boon 1, vigour catalyst 2, and pure boon 3.

I think the footfall issue will be resolved. I know we all want this process to work from day 1 of the update but the devs are surely hard at work analyzing the situation and trying to fix everything!

5 Likes

Just logged in for a minute to check my store. Sold 450c worth of LEDs post update and 0c footfall to collect from beacon. Thatā€™s a little weird. But now, my coin per visitor has quadrupled in amount. Before, it was 20c/visitor, and now itā€™s 80c/visitor.

I think the EA should have stayed active. This feels like an early access game. How could footfall be a problem after weeks of testing. I can see bugs. but a huge feature that was bragged on to help people. I am getting roughly the same coin in footfall. But i know of a few that get 0.

1 Like

Consider the number of people who play Live. Now consider the number of those people who may play the Testing branch. It is really not so surprising that they ran into numerous more bugs post-release.

2 Likes

yes, some bugs. but, completely broke footfall, after 2 ā€œbug fixesā€ā€¦

1 Like

1 small change in calculation.
1 small line of code, buried in millions of characters.
1 small typo, a < instead of a >.

Not picked up during testing, due to such a small volume of players that spend time testing.
Not saying this is our fault, but I am agreeing with Ark, that we all (PC players at least) could have helped prevent this issue.
If more players donā€™t join the test branch, we will continue to test the updates in the live version.

Oh? Didnā€™t know PS4 players could help test stuff! Tell me how to enable that, please!

Yeah ok fair point, but of course there are exceptions to everything (especially such sweeping statements that use the word all).
Iā€™ll adjust my post to be less inclusive, but even amongst PC players, the volume of traffic in beacons is obviously so low that nobody picked up on the fact that footfall broke.

Iā€™m sorry, but I call bs.

Its not the players job to test games to make sure they work properly.

I am not against it, and itā€™s a useful tool, but for you to say itā€™s the players responsibility to make sure the thing they have bought is working properly at code level is just ridiculous.

I am all for helping out and do so if and when I can, but the game makers should not be relying heavily on that.

If testing such an integral part of the process, they should be paying professionals to do so with specific areas to work on, and they can give per detailed report on issues.

1 Like

This isnt EA anymore. Devs could have played with plots to figure these things out, especially since its something they talked about being a great thing. With guilds costing so much. Itll end up taking all coin out of game. That money isnt being circulated anymore.

Yes, of course.
This huge dev team, raking in all these massive profits, by selling out and making a hugely popular game should then reinvest their profits into a team of testers rather than rely on the player base to help out.
That money would definitely be better spent on testing rather than the caviar and champagne dinners every night.
And would clearly be a great investment, because that would bring in lots more new players.
/sarcasm

Take a look at the AAA titles that do use dedicated teams of testers and tell me their games are released bug free, and nothing ever breaks when they release a patch or update.

I think youā€™re being a little overdramatic tbh.

2 Likes