"FULLY" AFK Block XP Farm

Some projects require lots of plots. But this same method can be used for other things as well, which I won’t discuss here due to sensitivity of this topic.

But block experience opens up a whole different discussion. You only get rewarded for building with rare blocks, not actually for building good looking things. My castle is mostly wood and stone. It has taken me lots and lots of hours and I was rewarded with bare minimum of what someone would get from making a oort/lucent tower with no details.

I don’t know exactly how the xp protection works. I wish I knew, but it seems if you move far enough away it resets it, because Coils removing blocks does not remove the protection if you just stay close by.

But the truth is, many of us enjoy being able to automate things, I think a lot of players who have played Minecraft can relate to that.

Also, I am off to bed, hopefully our new devs have clarified what we can and can’t do! But other than that, have a great gaming session or great whatever else you are doing! Feel free to continue the discussion but continue to keep it civil! Stay safe!

2 Likes

Love this creation. Video was very informative and enjoyable. I always enjoy these little creations people discover. Thanks for bringing this to the community.

Now everyone else stop whining and ruining someones accomplishment in creating something cool. We should appreciate the history built into this contraption. This includes several different created mechanics that made people enjoy making them. That’s what the game is about, enjoyment.

Everyone that don’t like this, eat my shorts. Bob out!

7 Likes

Inventive and very clever. Also very exploit-y. If you are doing it actively it’s borderline but automating the keypress makes it bad. It can be a very cool creation and also be an exploit by the way.

1 Like

I love glide tracks and while I love pushing the boundaries of the game and these tech things I don’t usually enjoy the nerfs and other bad player experience after things get tweaked. We saw that with bomb mining and so many other things during EA. I’d hate to see glide tracks going or other things.

1 Like

Bomb mining was clearly broken and the devs even explicitly said it was unintentional. This farming method doesn’t come close to disrupting the game as much as that did.

2 Likes

All I can say is that playing boundless on PlayStation feels like an afterthought from how the game was made for PC.

• No far-sight
  • No ability to add colour mods to blocks
  • No ability to auto click crafting
  • No ability to enhance render-distance

Just to name a few.
Boundless needs to consider adding options to the in game settings for all platforms that allow users to enable or disable functions such as this based on there preference or ability to play if they are affected by any form of disability or injury that does not allow them to repeat 1x million clicks.

1 Like

First time I hear something like that. Also, not only Playstation players can use controllers. You can connect a controller to the pc as well or what about people with the steamdeck thingy. So even if there are people out there doing so, you couldn’t point fingers alone at PS players :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The point I’m making is I hope they aren’t too harsh on some of these things and we find a game in a few updates not as fun as it once was.

1 Like

That seems reasonable. Though I’m sure the future dev team will have a lot on their plates when they start to familiarize themselves with the game so I’d be surprised if they rushed to ban people over something like this. For the time being it seems that we’ll be policing ourselves until development ramps up again.

1 Like

Ah hell I’m going to sidestep myself a little - because this isn’t arguing over definitions.

The biggest problem isn’t about finding/banning a few people who break the limits.

This is where everyone gets hosed. A few people were really raping the tables, bragging and posting pics. Remember what we got?

Who remembers when the whole “gathering/foraging” profession got hosed?

This is why we now have “dug up” items, among other things, dev cycles wasted fighting people min/maxing a niche to exploitative levels. This is also part of why we don’t have some other things. Doing these things cost time and money, and holds back content and features.

The real problem here (to me) isn’t one person getting something extra. It’s that inevitably the rest of the player base gets the shaft. And then actually just trying to play the game gets harder and harder, more and more grind.

Exactly. Or just take an easy road. Too many people straight afk grinding? Cut the plot earning rate. 2 problems solved.

1 Like

It was not to point fingers but I have been told there are PS4 players that slow walk chisel to gain crazy exp rates - and do so without human input. I’d imagine there are lots of ways PC players can do similar things too. But don’t ask me how as consoles are not my thing! :sweat_smile:

@Xaldafax I don’t see the glide track getting nerfed. I would understand if they changed the way you gain exp from blocks. Could easily be solved by restricting how much exp you can get within a certain timeframe. Then builders get their exp because they don’t use enough blocks fast enough while spamming blocks would no longer be a viable method for leveling.

@Nightstar People will always push the boundaries in any game. That is the only way you can really play it to the fullest. This is also a sanbox game, so anything you can do will be done eventually. It’s even in the name of the game - we should push our creativity and not be bound to anything (blah blah blah rules, yes I know). If the devs feel like this is not appropriate for the game, they will have to change how it works. It will never work just saying that you cannot do this or that because it’s impossible to police and if it’s not meant to be done then it should not be doable in the first place. All we have done here is to take base mechanics of the game and put it together to one awesome machine!

But I will wait for devs point of view on this matter. I would hope they see the creativity and appreciate the research behind it. If they say it’s something to be avoided until they have a solution, fine, I am happy to tear it down - which is still kinda funny because I could still just press 2 keys myself and it would again be me actively playing.

Yeah there’s been a lot of angst, and a lot of disingenuous conversation around this topic.

Plenty of people link to my complaint thread and it seems very few find the earlier threads and first questions where I indicated that if this was an acceptable standard, I would be happy to participate.

It wasn’t. It usually isn’t. James stayed silent on this as well as some other issues and I guess if nothing else it means they continued to hear about it for a long time. Maybe that’s savvy, maybe it’s lazy. It’s hard to tell from the outside.

Also though I’m a “spirit of the law” type of person. “They said it’s against the rules to use software so putting a weight on my keyboard is fine” - “They said not to do this with red blocks but I’m using a blue block …”

Whatever :man_shrugging:

That’s literally all they ask. That’s the whole standard, actually DO it. You earn XP for almost every action you take. Overall it’s a time/value equation to balance that. Once you remove the time all that’s left is “unlimited value”.

Anyways here’s new management so, fair enough to ask the question again. I will be surprised if the answer is qualitatively different, though.

1 Like

Technically, you can mine blocks repeatedly. I’ve seen a block farm that used decorative oort. They placed something like 48 blocks. By the time they had placed the last block, they could go back to the beginning and break those for the xp. Rinse and repeat.

At one point, when I was making a lot of brick, I got tired from turning rock into stones. I was using 25 crafting tables with about 30 max crafts per table. That’s 750 clicks. After 200 clicks, I was done and started using an auto clicker to do it for me.
I’m not ashamed that I did it either.

1 Like

I think it’s well established that this is going to happen - I literally bought an auto-clicking mouse because of boundless after James’ statement that adding a little QOL for yourself was acceptable.

To me - I’m not trying to read “but using a weight to avoid actually playing the game is still OK” into that.

Again though - new boss, new rules. That’s understandable and we wait for the answer.

If Monumental wants to encourage (or even explicitly allow) players to use automation any technique for bypassing their partnered monetization system (i.e. buying cubits) it’s going to be the dawn of a whole new day.

Almost :joy: not for forging though :sob:

5 Likes

All I have to say regarding creative use of existing mechanics is…lovely set of coils you have there :+1:

7 Likes

“This episode was #SponsoredBycatfud!” :rofl:

I did give you a shout tho in the video! Thanks for the good supply of coils!

3 Likes

You earn… like… 5.5 exp… not happy? :rofl:

2 Likes

I think its very creative, after seeing Ovis’s video on the glide track I was immediately filled with ideas for using the glide track to make tasks that little bit easier and so I will be experimenting with it.

I think the “fully” AFK part is the bit that most are against and I also think being able to be completely AFK isnt in the spirit of the game. this is my personal opinion only.

Using auto-clickers or macros etc to avoid doing a billion clicks I have zero issue with and I will continue to do this purely to save my poor fingers from strain.

I’ve seen the coil breaking method used for many things, one such example is to make transforming blocks less of a headache.

This specific or any other method using coils always ends with having to repair a lot of coils and lets face it that isnt fun at all and uses a lot of spanners and takes considerable time…

Therefore you should probably visit the TNT Megahub and stock up on spanners with Lvl 9/10 max wear removal and speed and added durability :smiley:

7 Likes