Futur possible or not

who knows there may be an ongoing discussion with sony for the acquisition of wonderstruck to have the possibility of overtaking minecraft by microsoft everyone knows that they have embarked on a war every 2

2 Likes

People can dream, but let’s be realistic and honest here: nobody is going to try to re-vitalize Boundless in hopes of beating Minecraft or any competitor in the block/voxel-building genre. Boundless never was mainstream, never garnered enough attention to be noticed by the BIG names like Sony or Microsoft.

If Sony wants to make a block/voxel-building game, they’ll make a new one from scratch with a competent team and with all the funding and developpers they need to achieve their plans.

I mean, someone correct me if I’m wrong, but Square Enix doesn’t own the code of Boundless, it’s still James who owns it, which allows him to update the game still.
So if Sony wanted Boundless, they’d also have to acquire the rights from James as well as acquiring the servers from Square Enix. Or buy Larian and James with it… Not sure it’s worth the effort.

If someone can re-vitalize Boundless, it’s
JAAAAAAAAAMES
Not Square Enix, not Sony, not Microsoft.

7 Likes

You are not wrong on who owns the IP. Square Enix could start one from scratch, but I think these days being publisher they would do much like they did with Boundless and find a game and back it. I am sure they may be a little more leery about doing it in the future with any form of voxel game, but who knows.

It is a really niche game. I am not sure that anyone could pull it out of that, but it could however garner a larger audience with some more attention, some development and some additions to some or most of the systems in the game.

Will it happen? I doubt it, but we can hope.

1 Like

Has Sony ever indicated an interest in getting into the PC games market?

Sony buying video game developer Bungie in $3.6B deal (nypost.com)

PS Now on PC | Stream 700+ PlayStation games on-demand | PlayStation (US)

So via the PS Now app, you can stream and use a controller. Also Bungie appears to be up for bid by Sony.

1 Like

Before Microsoft bought ABK (Activision-Blizzard-King) recently, no… But now
I have sources on the inside at Square Enix who say they internally are already making bets to know:

• if Square Enix will be bought by Sony
  • if Sony-Playstation will be bought by Microsoft first (just the part relating to Playstation, though)

The second option surprised me, but apparently seem to be a legit possibility, as Microsoft would then have the gaming monopoly, and it would definitely set Microsoft as the overlord in the Console War as Nintendo would be left alone against the giant. I personally don’t think Microsoft will do this, and I also don’t think people at Sony-Playstation want this to happen either. I don’t think either that governments and such would be ok with Microsoft doing this, basically becoming the Alpha and the Omega of the video-game industry. I’m pretty sure they had troubles after buying ABK already.
Sony buying Square Enix, however, seems likely.

Sony definitely had interest in Boundless, I’ll just link this post/article again rather than repost it -

Sounds like Sony’s interest is why Turbulenz did go all-in on Boundless.

Reading more about Spartacus, appears that there will be different tiers but it isn’t going to be the AAA and day 1 stuff like Game Pass. So more than ever, I think Sony’s best move is to get a LOT of more unique stuff like this on their service when it launches. Customers will ask, why do I want the top tier of this service in addition to or instead of GP? Boundless may be always end up being niche, but to a browsing prospective buyer who probably isn’t going to look all that deep into each offering before making a decision, it will be intriguing and, hey, free MMO - hits a need and will have strong stickiness with some players.

It is hard to knock something out of an established niche, and can’t expect Boundless to do that to Minecraft, but it COULD do much better than currently if on a service like that, enough to be healthy and have the lifespan and development it deserves. And if I’m Sony, the money to get this done and keep the game going isn’t a big drop, if I’m them I’m focused more than anything on doing whatever it takes to make the overall package more alluring to a potential subscriber.

Am I the only one that doesn’t care about anything of this?

:thinking:

4 Likes

Interesting. We’ll see if that goes anywhere, but you’ll pardon me if I’m not holding my breath. ^^

3 Likes

I don’t know that I care about Sony and what they purchase, but I do care about this community. If Sony purchased Boundless that may change some things, but who knows we can only speculate.

The game could however shut down tomorrow, that I do care about… its a great getaway for me and the community ain’t half bad either. Hopefully you at least care about the community @HOST

sure PlayStation has always had an interest in selling with their demand for console game exclusivity I don’t believe they have easily demonstrated their interest in that day

with their interests one can easily see that PlayStation was planning at one time or another to go and fight Microsoft on their own turf when it comes to Minecraft is that still the case
yes Microsoft have been established in this area for a long time with Minecraft which has been around for decades but the youngest to. it’s volume and some updates of the changes of scenery unlocks but without more as for me during the could represent a bigger threat with all the possible possibilities if we consider that the blocks are not just square in staircase hoopla they can be modified of all kinds the possibility of and my words and much more push the reality of recipes and much more enormous can be found on Minecraft as for me during them has much more potential

you were right is not possible to admit that it is the main interest of PlayStation towards this I put a very big possibility will they take the step or no we will not know. until the day they might make an announcement but everyone knows that PlayStation(sony) has already announced other acquisitions to come by the end of February

in any case, radio silence from the Devs could show you a transaction in progress without having the possibility of disclosing the information

for those who say that it would be easier for PlayStation to recreate a game from scratch in this style you are wrong because PlayStation normally works with anagrams much more pushing programs much more graphically so Wonderstruck is already adapted in this genre so a lot easier for them to introduce or modify the present system than to recreate one from scratch

or perhaps to recreate a game with the structures of boundless to precisely seek out potential players at Microsoft

in any case i allow myself to dream about what could possibly happen is it possible i think so but maybe i’m wrong

1 Like

I was a big Minecraft player myself before dropping out because I found boundless boundless was able to take me somewhere else with its multiple features a lot more things to do than in Minecraft I think it would be possible to go a lot more players to this game if dave’s problem is funding Sony could fix it because Sony their goal is to bring loyalty what better than boundless to huge potential to bring the world to them

Yeah, not getting my hopes up, but it really strikes me as the best possible lifeline for Boundless. They could get a favorable deal here. Sony is supposedly going to go live with this service in the spring sometime, so they need things ready to go now. Sony can’t afford to have this thing fall on it’s face right out of the gate, have customers and the press all like, meh, we’ll pass. Striking deals with devs like this is relatively cheap and low-risk - can always cut them a few months after if they aren’t liking what they’re seeing. Throw a bunch of indies like this into the mix on there so people are like, wow, good selection, this and this looks neat… ok, I’ll sign up! No individual one has to be all that successful or anything, it is the appeal of the overall deal that is going to get people biting on it.

3 Likes

all my in-game content is for the community, I care about the community in full, and each person good or bad I do respect, each comment thought, and freedom of speech is not judged by me but more like analyzed. the thing here bro is I’m getting sick really sick of the daily new threads about boundless and its future, of course i understand the frustration but please keep in under 1 thread
the answers wont be coming anytime sooner

3 Likes

This has about the same odds as our planet being annihilated by a meteor tomorrow at 3:00pm.

But by all means check back tomorrow to see if we lucked out.

1 Like

It did seem like Sony was really interested in several years ago - definitely happy to have it on the platform. I know Square Enix has Dragon Quest Builders, which is kind of similar to Boundless.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/659058759591993344?s=20&t=vxsINrj6v79ymm-bZv4nmA

4 Likes

If at some point Sony bought this studio, it is well known that the first thing they would do would be to discard Boundless, since it does not contribute anything economically speaking and Sony only wants successful games, what does not work does not help them.

Minecraft cannot be defeated as a voxel game, you just have to assimilate that, there will be very good games, but Minecraft will always be at the top even if it stops updating.

The only one capable of facing Minecraft would say that it will be Hytale and even then I doubt that it will surpass it. There are simply games that cannot be beaten.

1 Like

As a PS player for many years, I’m just happy to have a pc now so at least I can still play TES 6 :thinking::grin:

1 Like

Sony wants good game of the month games. Boundless would be a contender. But I don’t see them throwing more money at this.

Pretty sure Sony has made PC releases. They’re a backer of Horizon zero dawn among other games that made it to pc. Ghost of Tsushima too. Spyro I think?

1 Like

Larian has nothing to do with Boundless.