Futur possible or not

sure PlayStation has always had an interest in selling with their demand for console game exclusivity I don’t believe they have easily demonstrated their interest in that day

with their interests one can easily see that PlayStation was planning at one time or another to go and fight Microsoft on their own turf when it comes to Minecraft is that still the case
yes Microsoft have been established in this area for a long time with Minecraft which has been around for decades but the youngest to. it’s volume and some updates of the changes of scenery unlocks but without more as for me during the could represent a bigger threat with all the possible possibilities if we consider that the blocks are not just square in staircase hoopla they can be modified of all kinds the possibility of and my words and much more push the reality of recipes and much more enormous can be found on Minecraft as for me during them has much more potential

you were right is not possible to admit that it is the main interest of PlayStation towards this I put a very big possibility will they take the step or no we will not know. until the day they might make an announcement but everyone knows that PlayStation(sony) has already announced other acquisitions to come by the end of February

in any case, radio silence from the Devs could show you a transaction in progress without having the possibility of disclosing the information

for those who say that it would be easier for PlayStation to recreate a game from scratch in this style you are wrong because PlayStation normally works with anagrams much more pushing programs much more graphically so Wonderstruck is already adapted in this genre so a lot easier for them to introduce or modify the present system than to recreate one from scratch

or perhaps to recreate a game with the structures of boundless to precisely seek out potential players at Microsoft

in any case i allow myself to dream about what could possibly happen is it possible i think so but maybe i’m wrong

1 Like

I was a big Minecraft player myself before dropping out because I found boundless boundless was able to take me somewhere else with its multiple features a lot more things to do than in Minecraft I think it would be possible to go a lot more players to this game if dave’s problem is funding Sony could fix it because Sony their goal is to bring loyalty what better than boundless to huge potential to bring the world to them

Yeah, not getting my hopes up, but it really strikes me as the best possible lifeline for Boundless. They could get a favorable deal here. Sony is supposedly going to go live with this service in the spring sometime, so they need things ready to go now. Sony can’t afford to have this thing fall on it’s face right out of the gate, have customers and the press all like, meh, we’ll pass. Striking deals with devs like this is relatively cheap and low-risk - can always cut them a few months after if they aren’t liking what they’re seeing. Throw a bunch of indies like this into the mix on there so people are like, wow, good selection, this and this looks neat… ok, I’ll sign up! No individual one has to be all that successful or anything, it is the appeal of the overall deal that is going to get people biting on it.

3 Likes

all my in-game content is for the community, I care about the community in full, and each person good or bad I do respect, each comment thought, and freedom of speech is not judged by me but more like analyzed. the thing here bro is I’m getting sick really sick of the daily new threads about boundless and its future, of course i understand the frustration but please keep in under 1 thread
the answers wont be coming anytime sooner

3 Likes

This has about the same odds as our planet being annihilated by a meteor tomorrow at 3:00pm.

But by all means check back tomorrow to see if we lucked out.

1 Like

It did seem like Sony was really interested in several years ago - definitely happy to have it on the platform. I know Square Enix has Dragon Quest Builders, which is kind of similar to Boundless.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/659058759591993344?s=20&t=vxsINrj6v79ymm-bZv4nmA

4 Likes

If at some point Sony bought this studio, it is well known that the first thing they would do would be to discard Boundless, since it does not contribute anything economically speaking and Sony only wants successful games, what does not work does not help them.

Minecraft cannot be defeated as a voxel game, you just have to assimilate that, there will be very good games, but Minecraft will always be at the top even if it stops updating.

The only one capable of facing Minecraft would say that it will be Hytale and even then I doubt that it will surpass it. There are simply games that cannot be beaten.

1 Like

As a PS player for many years, I’m just happy to have a pc now so at least I can still play TES 6 :thinking::grin:

1 Like

Sony wants good game of the month games. Boundless would be a contender. But I don’t see them throwing more money at this.

Pretty sure Sony has made PC releases. They’re a backer of Horizon zero dawn among other games that made it to pc. Ghost of Tsushima too. Spyro I think?

1 Like

Larian has nothing to do with Boundless.

Yes, I know, that’s not what I was implying.
What I meant is that it is where James currently works.
So if we imagine a scenario where Sony wanted James to get back to work on Boundless for them, wouldn’t they have to make him a better offer than Larian did with BG3?
Could they make him quit Larian? Or wouldn’t they have to buy the whole of Larian and tell James “ok, you’re back on Boundless, now”?

Admittedly a stupid “what if” scenario, and I was merely spit-balling. I don’t think they would do that (especially as getting the entire studio of Larian just for Boundless sounds like an idiotic waste of money).
But then again, if they don’t have James on board and just buy Boundless from him, have fun making a new team and making them understand how the game works just as well as the original team of people who made it.

I didn’t want to bring Hytale up for the nth time, but I agree that this game has a shot at dethroning Minecraft. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Sony could always buy the Boundless IP from James or whomever owns it and use their own development team.
I would argue it is not necessary for Sony to hire James or any of the prior developers. It might help them as far as understanding the software coding, but it is hardly necessary. They would probably have to negotiate something with Square Enix for the PC publishing rights.

However, I think Sony is only going to buy a game or a studio if it thinks it can make money off of it. It is possible that all the combined revenue streams from the console and the Pc could cover the costs of running the game, but is it enough to justify Sony putting more money into developing the game? I have my doubts. It is my understanding that Sony already provided pre-release funding for Boundless. Unless they made the money back, they probably view the game as non-profitable.

1 Like

This is where I think they have a unique opportunity to get a good deal now. The money from Spartacus is going to come off subs, and they need to get as many as possible. The costs of running this game is peanuts compared to that larger picture they are looking at. Sony can’t afford at this point to have it flop, or look like it will be a flop.

Getting some more money for further development would be great but the beauty of cutting a deal of this sort right now is, probably isn’t even needed. The game - while we’d obviously love more content, better NPE, ect. - is a complete game ready to go now, and a lot better than some Game Pass stuff. It has what is needed to do want Sony will want - look good at a brief browse to potential subscribers. A sub fee MMO with a $40 retail price tag that has elements of several popular genres combined.

A lot of the people who try won’t stick with it… probably less % than who buy. BUT, that shouldn’t matter much if at all. Those people paid for their sub and it is unlikely many will unsubscribe simply because one game made them go, “Meh.”

As a potential buyer, I even ask myself - why would I want to buy anything more than the bottom tier (which is going to be the equivalent of Plus)? I have GP, I like it. To me, and I think to the bulk, answer that will sell will be twofold… first, top tier will have a lot of old titles from past generations, that is pretty cool. But the other selling point that would work is having a great array of unique stuff, especially stuff not on Xbox. This is why a bunch of indie stuff which individually might not be profitable or not very profitable could combine to, as a package, be very profitable for Sony, in that they’ll sell people on subscribing to the higher tiers.

1 Like

Hope that this doesn’t happen, but from everything I’ve seen, James has his head screwed on tightly, and is making this team valuable in both the UK dev scene, and on a greater scale with the project that they’re assisting on.

Personally, I can’t see a reason to sell it, as it’s trundling along nicely, doing what it needs to do. He and the company is solvent and probably doing nicely from the BG work. Plus he and the team are wanted, and that’s a really awesome place to be in.

Looking forward to the next steps from this tiny, tiny, tiny, team. :slight_smile:

1 Like

totally! he knnows hes sitting on a goldmine, they say everything has a price but boundless has a boundless price

2 Likes

You do understand that Wonderstruck is not working on a contract for Larian (BG3) anymore. While they were at one time, now James and most of the other developers are employees of Larian Studios UK. So the BG3 work has nothing to do with keeping Wonderstruck solvent. As James has said, Larian has nothing to do with Boundless.

Now does this mean that at least the development team has income? Sure it does, they have the income from their salaries with Larian and that is good. Does it mean there is a team dedicated to working fulltime on Boundless after BG3 launches? No it does not. I am sure that Larian will have other work for the developers which I think means Boundless becomes a project that is going to be worked on as project when they have time after work hours.

2 Likes

bye felicia

6 Likes

@MadManMoon Your description of the state of the game and of its parent company is so far out there that if it wasn’t consistent with some of your other posts I’d swear you were trolling.

Honestly, what would have to change to give you a negative outlook on this? What would be the tipping point? Bubonic plague sweeps through the dev studio? EMP device destroys the servers?

2 Likes

Sony’s involvement was the biggest mistake Wonderstruck made.

I love the PS community well enough, and I’m glad they are here, but frankly Boundless is worse off as a game because of the limitations and redesigns imposed on it by Sony and the PS4. So many systems had to be redesigned to be compatible with a dualshock controller that it overtook development of pretty much all future systems. Basic stuff like render distance and artwork had to be scaled back dramatically so that the game worked well with the limitations of ps4. Even server capacity is hamstrung because of it. And forget that promise of API and mod support- that is strictly against the rules for games sold on Sony’s market.

If I could go back in time and do one thing to help Boundless realize its truest potential, I would slap the face of whoever proposed a deal with Sony. Probably James. Sorry James, not sorry.

6 Likes