Game not launching

If a reinstall does not fix it what OS are you on? For Windows 7 is does require Service Pack 1 to be installed. Also apply any Windows updates.

1 Like

Dear Support,

Bought the Explorer package today via Steam, but i run into the same issue as the others in this topic!
When i press PLAY in Steam, i see a short message: Preparing to launch Boundlessā€¦
and thats it basicly.

Info:

• i have all windows 7 updates/service packs installed
  • C++ 2015 x64 - 14.0.24215
  • .NET Framework 4.5.2

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like an installation failure. Please make sure you try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

Hi James,

Did several reinstalls this afternoon, same result everytimeā€¦

Hmm.

Can you confirm that you have Service Pack 1 installed. (Appreciate your original post confirms this - but Boundless required SP1.)

The first time the game starts you should be presented with a Sign-in window. Have you ever seen this?

• I can see the following: MS Windows 7 Home Premium. Version 6.1 (build 7601: Service Pack 1)

• No, i havent seen any Sign-in window!

Boundless requires:

• .Net 4.5.1
  • DirectX June 2010
  • Visual C++ 2015 Redist

Would you be able to try installing .Net 4.5.1 instead of .Net 4.5.2. I think I remember someone else having this issue in the past because of this.

Btw - Steam doesnā€™t give us the option to install .Net 4.5.2, only 4.5.1. Iā€™m not sure why. Iā€™m not sure if weā€™ve looked into workarounds.

James,

• removed .Net 4.5.2 and installed (after reboot) .Net 4.5.1
  • Also installed the DirextX June 2010 version

Same result as before!

Also created a new elevated Admin account in windows7, but same result.
(and removed this account again)

Hey Silvermoan,

Could you check that you have a ā€œTurbulenzā€ folder in your %LOCALAPPDATA%

If itā€™s not there, could you create it manually and try running the game again?

If itā€™s there already, there should also be a ā€œBoundlessā€ folder inside of that, which will contain some log files. Hopefully there will be a file called boundless_log.txt in that one which should shed some more light on the issue (if the game is getting that far). If that file exists, can you create a public gist, upload that file to it and then post the gist url to this thread?

Hi Stretchious,

I had already created the /Turbulenz manually as i had read that in this forum, but there are no files in thereā€¦

When you created and ran the game with the elevated admin account, was the Turbulenz folder also missing in the admin user folder?

On a different line of thought, do you have any active firewall software which could be be blocking the game connection? If so, it would be worth trying to disable it to see if that helps with the initial connection.

Had to create the elevated admin account again, but the Turbulenz folder is also missing there. I launched the Steam-Client under this account and pressed the PLAY button. Now i got the following error message:

boundlessloader_win stopped working

First time i saw that, i havenā€™t seen that message under my normal user account in windows 7.

Using Window Firewall, but already tried it without the firewall (including the firewall services killed).

Ok - thatā€™s something different at leastā€¦

So did you create the Turbulenz folder to get that message to appear?

If so, there should now be some other folders in there ā€¦ hopefully :neutral_face: can you do the gist bit above (if the file exists of course).

Iā€™m hoping to get us to a stage where your system is at least generating a log file, which will give the devs more to go on to help resolve this.

Do you have an anti-virus apart from the firewall stopping the game from launching?

We had a player mention avast was stopping the game from running recently.

(my last update for tonight)

Stretchious: i did create the Turbulenz folder, then tried to run the game via Steam. Nothing happened, no log files were written in that folder.

Luke: Yes, i do run Avast. So disabled it and tried again, but no difference. When i did this, i kept an eye on the Windows Taskmanager, i see Boundlessloder.exe for about 8 sec. then it disappears.

Have you tried a system restart since downgrading .Net?

(Sorry - see you said you rebooted - doh!)

Is there any game log being generated at:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Turbulenz\Boundless\boundless_log.txt

Logically something is stopping the game from running:

1. A dependency is missing - causing the game to fail.
  2. Another application is somehow stopping the game from starting.
  3. Boundless is failing to start correctly for some reason.

Questions:

1. Do you have any funky hardware installed?
  2. Do you have any non-standard software installed?

If I had to guess itā€™s the .Net setupā€¦

Finally can you make sure the following folder exists and you have permissions to write to it:

Users/USERNAME/AppData/Local/Turbulenz

Do you have a funky USERNAME? Unicode?

Hi all,

I am trying to help Silvermoan with his Boundless problems. (I was going to do a ā€˜Letā€™s playā€™ with him on Youtube about Boundless)

To give you more information what happened so farā€¦ Silvermoan deinstalled .Net Framework 4.5.2 and installed the version .Net Framework 4.5.1 that came with the download of the game from Steam.
Still the same problem as before where he starts Boundless in Steam, then Boundlessloader.exe appears in the task manager for about 8 sec and then disappears. No logs created in the Turbulenz folder.
(On my PC everything went fine and I can see the files created in the Turbulenz folder.)

I checked also that after the Boundlessloader.exe runs the file Boundless.exe should start. On Silvermoans PC Boundless.exe never starts ! It does not show up in the Task Manager at all.
I see the large gray screen with ā€œWelcome to Boundless!.. Click to continueā€ on my system, but Silvermoans system does not even get to that point. He has never seen that screen.

We also did a repair option on the files on the .Net files but still Boundless wonā€™t start.
Then we even did a total cleanup on .Net Framework as described at:

Then rebooted and reinstalled .Net Framework 4.5.1 again (under his normal Windows account but with option ā€˜Run as Administratorā€™), but Boundless still does not start. At this point I am not sure anymore what we still can do to resolve this issue.

Could you please inform us what should happen in between the Boundlessloader.exe and the gray welcome screen ! What is triggered there ? (This is the point where it seems to fail)

Some answers and information that might be of use:
He is not using any funky hardware/software, nor is he using a weird username.
When he created the Turbulenz folder, it had permissions to write to it.

• I had .Net Framework 4.5.2 on my system and Boundless runs fine with .Net Framework 4.5.2
  • I even deinstalled .Net 4.5.2 and tried the version .Net Framework 4.6.2 and Boundless runs fine on .Net Framework 4.6.2 also

Hey guys, Iā€™m going to try and get a new beta branch pushed later today with some additional debugging information enabled, hopefully this will let us track this down. Itā€™s an issue that seems to have a happened a couple of times and weā€™ve yet to be able to reproduce it to work out what the issue is, hopefully you can help us find and fix it.
Iā€™ll put up another post with the steam beta details and how to view the debug info Iā€™m adding when I get it pushed.