Game not launching

ya haha. im real glad i found this thread! id been trying for 2 weeks or so to get it to work to no avail haha. thanks again! btw i had to edit an old post to reply. said i could only have 3 replies haha

Ok thanks, Iā€™ve seen strange issues like that where some updates wonā€™t install because they depend on something else but donā€™t give sensible errors. At least if anyone else finds they canā€™t install the update we have a manual workaround by supplying the files as I did here.

i had problems with starting the game after last two updates - got it running 2 weeks ago but last update simply not starting for me; tried the simplest thing before reading this topic: I uninstalled the game. But as I attempted to install it again I got this:

An error occurred while installing Boundless (missing file privileges):
C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\324510 _CommonRedist\vcredist\2015\vc_redist.x64.exe

Iā€™m lostā€¦

A google of that error shows several suggested fixes, the most common seems to be:-

• Run Steam as Admin, then restart afterwards
  • Simply restart the PC.
1 Like

restarting PC happened already - will try the administrator mode

it downloaded and installed the game but it doesnā€™t want to start:

(content file locked): C:(ā€¦)boundlessloader.exe

just to bump as Im not sure the edit I did was noticed:

after fixing previous problem with missing privileges it downloads the game but fails to start it saying that content file is locked ;
this time its not the redist file in downloads folder but boundlessloader.exe in the game directory

Iā€™d try uninstalling it, as Admin if your cant delete all the files. Then reinstall it as your normal user.

If that does not work a google (content file locked) shows a thread. Try disabling the virus checker on the steam folder. You could do that while installing/updating and then reenable it afterwards.

Im after uninstalling steam removing all games I had installed together with entire steam directory and also register entries for steam and steam apps

installed steam again - installed boundless as the first game and still the same problem

i have one question though (being an ignorant in the subject) - how come something works for months update after update and then suddenly it doesnt although I havent changed anything in steam or anti-virus settings?

EDIT: funny enough - it started once but I got ERROR 30 from Steam - any other time game didnt start.Iā€™m changing nothing but something is happening without my intervention that makes it run or block it.

We have seen problems a bit like this on one machine in the office but weā€™re currently unable to explain whatā€™s happening. A file which is part of the game is installed by Steam and appears perfectly normal, then at some later point in time (after Steam has done some updates or branch switches) suddenly the file has completely inaccessible permissions. In the case weā€™ve seen we were unable to delete the file without going into safe mode. At the moment Iā€™m suspecting it may be an issue with Steam and their installer logic but I canā€™t say that for sure because we canā€™t work out the sequence of steps that make it happen.

In terms of why itā€™s suddenly stopped working itā€™s possible that your AV or Steam have changed their algorithms, the Steam client does get minor updates quite frequently. Separately if itā€™s an interaction with the AV software then those will sometimes start treating files as suspicious if they undergo lots of small changes frequently, itā€™s possible we fit into this category by shipping more frequent updates and having people switch branches frequently for testing etc.

Did you switch to any of the beta branches recently? or was it purely through the game updates? The more info I can get on the sequence of events the more likely I can manage to narrow down whatā€™s happening. Can you also let me know what version of Windows youā€™re on and what AV software (including version) youā€™re running, maybe we can find a way to repro the issue in the office.

I realize Iā€™ve been quite chaotic in my reports. Iā€™m sorry and thank you for your patience. Straight to the point now.

1. No beta branches, purely updates for last 2 months.
  2. OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit (up to date).
  3. AV - Avast v. 17.3.2291 (build 17.3.3443.0).

Steps since ā€œcontent file is lockedā€ occurred:

1. Steam uninstalled together with all games and folders (including clearing remaining register entries created by steam)
  2. Steam installed again.
  3. Boundless Downloaded. Getting the locked content issue upon starting the game.
  4. In Avast user interface I performed this: In Protection>Firewall>App Settings I located Turbulenz section with 4 items and set all of them to ā€œAllowā€ (some of them were on ā€œAuto-decideā€).
  5. Game started (I got the window) but stopped loading with ERROR 30 message.
  6. Disabled Avast (after reading a lot about the error 30: it seemed batter option than going through all the time consuming options suggested by steam community).
  7. Game started.

At the moment Avast seems to be a problem although I havent been changing anything there before all the problems started (I havent been able to play since 3 weeks ago or so - last 3 updates that is).

EDIT: Game started again with Avast on!!
It looks like its enough to disable AV once, just to go through the step when downloader is used. That let you avoid ā€œcontent lockedā€ issue. After doing it once the game starts with AV on even though it was blocking you before.

1 Like

That may make sense, I can imagine the way Avast scans and locks the file to try and protect you could still allow the file to be read and executed once installed. It sounds however like the way Steam applies the updates means Avast sees the file being accessed and starts to scan it, while itā€™s being scanned Steam attempts to write the new version of the file and then you get the file locked error.

You could probably add an exclusion path in Avast to tell it not to scan files in that folder although I appreciate this isnā€™t the ideal solution since it slightly reduces your protection against virus infection.

We are looking at whether we can get our files whitelisted by companies like Avast, however I think the turnaround time for us to submit each update might mean that weā€™d be updating the game before theyā€™ve even whitelisted the previous version, also I donā€™t know if that would even fix the issue.

Iā€™ll also have a look around for other potential solutions, it feels like other games would be affected so maybe thereā€™s something else theyā€™re doing which we can copy that helps to avoid the issue.

1 Like

There are lots of solution to this problem but I want the best one out of it if anyone here who is able to help me then please suggest me the best method to solve this error. Here I found this method if you are not able to suggest me the best method then its my request to check this and let me know if this is worth doing it or not.

Please submit a game log just after the moment the game isnā€™t launching using the instructions provided in the link below:

I am having the same issue, say Play and it wonā€™t load at all, just the 3 seconds of playing.

Added to my exceptions in Avast: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Boundless,

Downloaded the zip files(ucrt_redist_x64) posted to the same boundless folder ^ and extracted the folder.

Multiple re-downloads.

all up to date, Running an Acer Predator Gaming Laptop. Windows 10. First time trying boundless, so no prior game data.

Tried that Microsoft update mentioned in the thread, said was not applicable after i ran it.

I added the Turbulenz folder, but nothing changed, and nothing added to the folder.

When I go into the folder and try to run Boundless directly from the folder I get an error on the first Message: ā€œThe code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this.ā€ This message has been constant every time I try to directly run it.

After Trying everything mentioned above I started getting a second message right after the first it reads the same except says VCRUNTIME140.dll instad of the MSVCP140.dll.

When you said 3 second of playing, do you mean moving your character around?

Could you try verifying the game files to see if it changes anything?

(Right-click Boundless -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Files)

I am sorry I was unclear, but it is the SAME issue. I donā€™t load the game whatsoever, and STEAM says it is playing for 3 seconds when in fact nothing is happening at all.

I verified the integrity of the files. a couple times.

One of the Boundless dependencies is missing.

Steam is responsible for installing Boundless and these dependencies.

Any reason why the install is failing? AntiVirus? Permissions?

Definitely try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

Which version of Windows do you have installed?

Windows 10. and I added boundless to the exceptions for avast. no permission issues. but I added that in the first message I posted hoping we could skip to trying a new solution, I really think Iā€™ve tried every solution posted in this thread. I read the whole thing trying them out as I went.

but I also think it is just a dependency issue , just is there a way to separately download those?