Gathering Epic + Luck Attributes Don't Stack?

It seems when spec’ed into max luck (8x luck attribute + 5x all attribute) that the bonus from the Gathering Epic seems to be minimal/unnoticeable when gathering stuff like orbs/fragments/leaf’s. Is this an expected mechanic? I feel like if that’s the case that I should test which would be more efficient (luck or the epic).

check out this:

seems like there is something wrong

well, they affect different drops
Gathering affects plants mushrooms boulders
Luck affects breakable blocks (so sap, bark, yams, ores, etc)

I think there is a misinterpretation of the affect of Gathering Epic. I believe it doubles the opportunity for drops. Such as a spitter might normally drop 0/1/2 bone (among others) in a single roll. With gathering epic it rolls twice for the opportunity of 0/1/2 and 0/1/2 so you could get 0 or 4. I noticed i more often got 3/4 items from drops after the epic, whereas i got 2/3 with only max luck.

I think max luck would be more efficient.

Dont let that graph fool you. It shows the right information but in a wrong format. It says he got 95 Lamellas with epic versus 81 without. and 69 orbs with, versus 61 without. (Spreadsheet has a math error) But i agree that the effect is minimal. Often other epics would be much more useful, but because I gather thousands of Lamellas I appreciate that little bonus.

Gathering states in the tooltip that it only works for flowers mushrooms and boulders
whereas Luck states it works for block drops

Also I believe that 50 gatherings are not enough for an efficient statistical analysis.

1 Like

I agree. It is all my time allowed. I think @Jiivita is creating a larger data set to review.

My goal was just to bring the issue forward with at least some numbers to highlight my concern.

<3

3 Likes

you know what, we can maybe set up a group of researchers to gather data on the subject.

Let em loose on some T1 worlds and try and get around 1k gathers each. that’ll compile into a nice statistical database.

EDIT: tho if we do, we may aswell improve upon the testing

no luck no gather | gather | luck | gather + luck

and maybe hunt for dessert sword since those are more plentiful (i think)

1 Like

Dunno about this. Luck seems to affect the amount of drops you get. EG with 0 luck I rarely get 2 lamella, but with max I almost always get 2 lamella… Seems the same is true with gather epic though. In in a t5+ world I often get 3 lamella, when I would expect to get between 3-6 if it were doubled. Seems to be capped at 3 though.

1 Like

It’s a common misconception that luck and the gathering epic simply multiply the drop rate for bonus items. But actually, it only multiplies the chance of receiving a bonus item. I’m not sure this is 100% accurate but I like to think of it as a two step process:

1. Should the player get a bonus drop?
  2. What should the bonus drop be?

Your skills can influence (1), but never (2). Even if you could have 100% chance to get a bonus item, you’d still get only what the devs have determined is an appropriate bonus.

I think though, that maybe (2) is influenced by the planet tier. So you’ll get more bonus silver from a seam on a T6 world than a T3 world. But I haven’t tested extensively. Looking forward to seeing Jiivita’s results!

well it doesn’t double the drop. it doubles the drop chance.

i’m unfamiliar with how the game handle multi-drop but many games use this kind of formula

• first drop guarenteed
  • second drop you have 40%
  • if true, check for third drop 20%
  • if true, check for fourth drop 10%

and so on.

and if you had double chance:

• first drop guarenteed
  • second drop 80%
  • if true, third drop 40%
    … and so on and so forth

EDIT:

IF the game works somewhat like this, and we have a statistical analysis of 1000 and 1000 gatherings for example, to see the effect of drop chance increase we will have to sum up the drops and detract the 1000 guaranteed drops from each. then we can compare the two.
which is something I havn’t seen done

I’d be interested in seeing that study, I’ve started replenishing my stock of desert swords.

If it helps I was on Gelis this morning from Ultima hub portal gathering desert swords. To me this seems to have the best density currently for them. I think I had approx 50 plants in 15 mins… been finding aprox 1/2 that quantity per time on other tier 1 planets

I have a thead for those testing which can be found here. Feel free to post your data. I’m 99.9% confident in my data for sap and bark drops with max luck (no gathering epic)

Edit: Just reread your post. You’re trying to test gathering epic which doesn’t affect drop rates on bark/sap. So better not to post on my thread as to minimize confusion :slight_smile:

I think for the percentages its multiplicitive not additive. So I think it’s be more like
1st drop guaranteed
2nd drop 40%
3rd if true, 20%
If you had double chance its multiplicitive as in it would be
1st guaranteed
2nd drop 60%
3rd drop 30%

what?
u lost me there budds :thinking:

In your post with the drop percentages you are adding the percents together. I believe its multiplicitive.that was all lol