Is Gathering Epic Working as Intended?

Hello,

I got feedback in game that 'don’t bother to take the Gathering Epic, it doesn’t work". I was curious so I tried out gathering 50 mushrooms with the gathering epic and 50 mushrooms without the gathering epic (the little ones that drop pulsating green orbs and edible)

The tool tip reads that it increases drop chance by x2 however, in practical application it doesn’t seem to have a large impact on gathering.

Below is my data:

The difference was pretty minor for the 5 point epic. 5 Orbs and 14 Lemella over 50 gathers. I think I expected a wider swing for 5 point investment.

For saying it increases the drop by x2, it seems odd that I could make up the difference by simply gathering an additional 3 - 5 plants per 50.

Is this how it is intended to function or can gathering epic receive a buff?

I realize that this data set is only for mushrooms, and only one type. Without doing this over and over with other plant types I can’t assess the value of this skill and it currently doesn’t ‘feel’ like it is making me a better gatherer.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Never seemed to do much for me either.

I’d be curious to see someone do a test run of Gathering with and without max luck involved, also. (i.e. Gathering with 0 Luck vs. No Gathering and 100 Luck)

Regardless, the effect is nowhere near 2x drops. It’s possible that it (like Luck) simply increases the chance for a rare ‘roll’, meaning a more rare object dropping (or a double-drop) and that with max luck you’ve already hit some kind of cap or area of diminishing returns there.

3 Likes

luck used to be so good :frowning:

2 Likes

…drops of 8 per block… :cry:

1 Like

if that was only for pre-release worlds just so that we could test things quicker and more easily, then we should have been told that, and that’s a terrible way about doing so. that’s a horrible horrible tease.
heres some awesome drops, see how awesome this game is!! ok now its live you don’t get any of that.

:cry:

2 Likes

Keep in mind that 2 * the drop chance is not the same as 2 * the drops

It is guaranteed that a mushroom will drop an orb and a lemella however after that there’s only a chance that it will drop an extra item(s)… So if there’s only a 20% chance for a second orb, with the Gathering epic that means there’s a 40% chance of getting that extra orb.

Edit:
Also the description of luck now clarifies that it only effects the rarer drops from creatures and blocks… So things like sap bark creature trophies eyes sacks etc

So the Gathering epic is like luck for surface resources

1 Like

So… make it 5 * drop chance! YAY! c:

I hope I haven’t misrepresented my concern. I kept the data sets as they dropped to also show the spread of drop options from the mushrooms.

Even with that considered there seems to be either a balancing issue or something off…

A 5 point epic only increasing yield by 5 -10% doesn’t seem to match the messaging of ‘x2 drop chance’. I am apprehensive that it isn’t working as intended.

3 Likes

I can certainly agree that it’s a bit misleading… When you see 2x you expect quite a bit more than what it’s really doing. I’m in the process of testing it myself with a large sample size to see how much of a difference it makes in the long run

4 Likes

Thanks Jiivita! I wish I had a larger data set! Your insight would be very helpful

yea, I’m gonna have to agree here. 5 points for such a minimal change doesn’t seem worth it. Something isn’t right here. I guess where you really see the difference though is tho high drop chance you have on your dataset there for the 2 lamella 2 orbs and the 3 lamella 2 orbs you got with the gathering epic were substantially more common with the gathering epic, so the chance is working… it just needs to be buffed a bit, imo.

3 Likes

Or, and here’s an idea. The idea is that it’s an investment.

You’re only getting a very little extra per 50. But if you get the Perk as early as you can, you collected that 50, many, many times. So you now have many many extra items. The only issue is if you get the perk later, after you’ve already farmed thousands of times and now not farming as much. THEN it wouldn’t be worth it.

1 Like

Are you sure it does not increase drop chance from plants and boulders too? And if not how does one should interpret on the ‘drop rate mod.’ on character → profile → motion and action?

IMHO UI, tooltips and skill description is giant mess that need a rewrite and lot of clarification.

2 Likes

Now go chop a tree with and without the epic skill…

The chances are just simply higher that you get something extra, there was always alreay a chance for that ayway, now that chance is much higher. Not sure what the percentages are for chance but they seem to differ for each item you can gather. If I need sap and don’t have it on I can chop the entire tree and walk away with 2 sap, if I do it with it on they keep coming left and right.

It really does work! Also up the luck stat to 8/8 which gives a chance on extra material drops like shimmering orbs from growth…

1 Like

i use this skill but after i see same amount resource as without this skill i respec. i test it on T3-T4 oplanets on fibrous leaf and waxy earthyam i harvest 250 flora what drop fibrous and 250 what drop waxy without this skill ,and next day with this skill .And with this skill i have 10 more fibrous and 12 more waxy than without him i think for me useless skill.

2 Likes

Hey jiivita what if you used maxed luck and gathering x2 you think that would make a better difference?

I think the gathering epic should be a boon on shovels… and then just delete this skill…

2 Likes

With Luck 8 (no gathering epic), and chopping on a T3 tree, the drop rate is ~20% for sap and ~7% for bark. YMMV

Source: I’ve done alot of tests with tree cutting. I discussed it here as well. A couple other people had similar drop rates. I will be testing the gathering epic soon

A lot of the epics are kinda meh… Unless you want a special feature that only the epic offers, you are usually better off just investing in the base stat skills :confused:

1 Like

Aye. I agree. I’m still not convinced on the charge or rapid fire epic for the slingbow. The rapid fire really doesn’t seem…well "rapid’ enough. And the load time to get to full damage on the charge epic…well, I can just fire off 2 shots to get similar damage.

1 Like