Boundless Comrades we’re looking for some ideas and input on failure states in Boundless.
Specifically, we’re interested to improve:
- The Player Defeated penalties and the associated skills to avoid them, and
- The a new Collective Defeated Meteorite condition, where a group of players fail to defeat a meteorite event.
There are many posts scatted around the forum and discord discussing the defeated penalties. Most recently here:
… but I wanted to create a new thread as we’re looking for something that blends together Player Defeated and Collective Defeated conditions. If there are great ideas please link them into this thread to help us have a single source.
The Meteorite events require a collective failure condition because without any failure state it’s currently possible (if pretty boring) for a single player to complete higher level Meteorites alone: enter -> kill a few creatures -> die -> zero death penalty -> sanctum -> enter -> repeat until victory. Even in larger groups the events shouldn’t be a case of just grinding out a win no matter how many times everyone dies. If there is a risk of failure then the satisfaction and reward for victory will be greater. But at the moment there is no doubt that on the Hunts every meteorite will eventually be completed. Where’s the drama there?
- Player Defeated penalty that is applied when a player is defeated.
- The penalty can be fully mitigated by skill points.
- Penalty can’t be avoided in the process of being defeated.
- Penalty needs to be a concern and equal for all players: new and experienced.
- Players need to value not being defeated.
- Defeated Sickness status effect that is applied to a player after they have been defeated.
- This was introduced in Testing 187.
- Defeated Sickness can’t be mitigated by skills.
- It is applied after a player is defeated and reduces physical attributed for 90 seconds.
- It can be actively removed with a cleansing brew or bomb.
- It can be avoid by being revived by another player, instead of being defeated.
- Collective Defeated conditions where a group of players collectively fail a Meteorite event.
- When a meteorite event is failed there will be no success reward for the event.
- It needs to take into account all active players.
- It shouldn’t encourage or be avoided by perverse play, for example, someone being nominated to hide in a hole for the entire event.
Please let us know what ideas you have…