Holiday currencies to UNLOCK recipes

Currently, when a new holiday recipe is added to the game (for instance, the Twinkles of last Oortmas), they require the holiday’s currency to be crafted (the Red & Green Candy Canes for Oortmas).

This means several things :
• You will need to grind a lot of the holiday event to have a good stock of that currency to be sure you can craft the item all year 'round if you need to.
• If you don’t have any more of that currency item, you have to hope someone is selling them, somewhere in the universe. If not, you’re boned until next Oortmas. If someone does sell them, they’re likely ridiculously over-priced.

NOW. How about we take a page of another game such as Creativerse to see how they do things?
Several years ago, they introduced wandering NPCs to their game.
They spawn during these holiday events and wander around like any other creature, and they trade RECIPES and pre-made holiday items for holiday currencies.

OPTION 1 : Why not apply this to Boundless?
• The NPC could use a randomized player-appearance with a holiday-themed outfit and some special effect to make them stand out in the wild.
• The Candy Canes would be used mostly to unlock new recipes, instead of learning them out of nowhere when a holiday starts.

OPTION 2 : The Exchange!
The game does have the Exchange to sell outfits, plots and such. Why not add a new tab to sell recipes of new holiday items for the holiday currency? This solution would be easier and more in-line with how Boundless works.

Then, we could change some holiday recipes :
• Some very holiday-themed items could still require the currency to be crafted (such as the Oorty plush - could be nice to add a neutral-looking Oorty plush , too).
• Items that are very common-looking could no-longer require the currency-item in their recipe (such as the Romantic vase & column, the twinkles, the skull…).

This would open more creative avenues for players during the entire year.

How do you feel about the current system?

• I like the current system (explain why!)
  • I don’t like the current system!

0 voters

If you don’t, would you like the NPC idea to be implemented?

• I would like holiday NPCs to be implemented!
  • I wouldn’t like holiday NPCs to be implemented! (explain why!)

0 voters

If you don’t, would you like the Exchange tab idea to be implemented?

• I would like holiday exchange tab to be implemented!
  • I wouldn’t like holiday exchange tab to be implemented! (explain why!)

0 voters

How would you feel about existing holiday recipes to be tweaked to help implement this change?

• I’m ok with changing the holiday recipes if that can make things better!
  • Do NOT change the holiday recipes!
  • I’d rather the existing holiday recipes don’t change, and only apply the new philosophy to future holiday recipes…
  • Something else… (leave a comment!)

0 voters

1 Like

I like how special the rarity of these event items make the events feel. Everyone gets super hyped and looks forward to them and it’s hella wholesome, lol. I think adding that availability year-round would kinda water that down a bit.
But I voted that I disliked the current system because I really wanted those twinklies…

2 Likes

The problem with the twinkles and other craftables from the oortmas event was the amount of canes that was necessary to make the items.

I have no issues at all with items being seasonal or time limited. But maybe the requirements for the crafting should be more easily attainable

7 Likes

Like we already had to hunt for the special item, then why make us need another difficult item for the color?

1 Like

That’s a good point.

I don’t like the idea of NPCs in boundless. I think it would be better to get holiday missions which give you holiday boxes.

Definitely recipes are not fun, for example the Christmas event, it was difficult to get red canes, then there was the difficulty for getting specific colors you needed tangles in one and the other had rng, then we add the difficulty of having 255 colors.

I only planted a couple candy totems because lucky I had some ice with colors I liked.

I personally take issue with holiday events in general.

It’s psychological, I guess, but I hate when a game is like “oh, you want this?” “yeah, I kinda like it!” “Well F- YOU! You’ll get some of that ONLY during this 2 week-period”.
Usually, I’d be like “OH COME ON, I have a family thing / big work rush period going on, I’m not gonna be available during these 2 weeks!”.
And even if I’m available, there’s high-chance I’d be like “Well I just don’t feel like doing that activity right now…”.
Basically, I hate it when a game is telling me what to do because “ooooouh, that’s time-limited, do it now because FOMO lol!”.

I build (and do any other activities) at my own pace. I should be doing a hunt right now to replenish my stock of bones, oortstones and such. But I’m not. I just don’t feel like doing hunts right now.
If there was a super-duper-legendary-thing for 2 weeks that you have 5% chance to get while doing hunts, I’d likely be like “welp, too bad, I have other things I’d rather do right now.”

I kinda like the Creativerse way because at least, once I unlocked the recipes, it’s done, I can enjoy them all the rest of the year because crafting the actual recipes are balanced to be equivalent to other similar things in terms of components.
In Boundless, I want to make a vase with flowers? Welp, too bad. See you again next year for Valentine 2021! Even if someone has some of the Heart shaped rocks for sale, it’s likely out of my price-range.

2 Likes

I have some for sale! For fair prices. At “Seasonal Buy/Sell and public mint” with two locations, one in DK’s Mall and one in Iconic Mall.

1 Like

My problem with seasonal stuff is that its too grindy for the amount of time there is to grind. Example like last event with twinkles.
. And it was AGAIN something hunting related. Wich im not big fan of
… i do the nessesary hunting but thats it.

I would keep as it is now… but just give people some alternative way to get certain items like those red candycanes example than hunting cause you are forcing people to do something what they dislike… and i know im not alone with this.

Edit.
This is worth to discuss as i too dislike the fact that i have to wait x amount of time to get 1 vase or whatever.

Maybe using same currency/item for seasonal event?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if I got some flak for it, but I’d say “why not make the current holiday currency buyable in the Exchange”? Those who don’t wanna spend Cubits can get them the ‘normal’ way. Same as plots, really. I have alt-characters that have lots of Cubits, and I have nothing of interest to spend them on (if Plots were account-bound, that would be different, though).

2 Likes

I dont see it much different than having some people able to craft certain items.

1 Like