How do you feel about the future of Boundless?

Or, conversely, BAM! They admit the game is in maintenance mode… I would say both situations are equally likely at this point in time. I would prefer your scenario but I have seen mine happen way too often. I would love to feel as confident as you but I have 40 years of experience dealing with games and know that no matter how much I want to champion a game or it’s devs it rarely pans out.

2 Likes

So sad… so true

2 Likes

I’m ‘conditionally optimistic’. Finding myself agreeing with both sides of contradicting points in this thread, which is interesting.

I don’t want to get specific here so as not to start any arguments, but I think local universes will cause many more players to join the game than we will lose from MMO to local. This will be the first time in the game’s existence that technically infinite people will be able to play at once.

My optimism is only capped by the looming cubit system change and that is what I would desperately like to talk to the devs about in a civil manner. Maybe we would benefit as a community from some kind of pros/cons discussion format where good points aren’t washed away by dozens of little termite comments that eat away at the foundation of the message.

I feel the game has developed around the influence of those who put the most time into it. Intuitive strategy to be sure, but not if you want to increase the population. If a country declares that every citizen has to be worth at least a billion dollars, you aren’t just going to lose anyone with less than that, you’ll also lose billionaires who miss having neighbors, then those whose companies go under because they don’t have customers, then those whose companies were only surviving on billionaires’ business but they’re losing them too…

5 Likes

The cubit change seems like a bad idea to me.

4 Likes

This please

2 Likes

You get what I mean about the format? If you’re a few days behind on a thread and decide to read all of it, you see the same arguments recurring daily. Someone makes a statement and gives a few examples, they get swarmed with arguments, suddenly it’s all meaningless to anyone who doesn’t want to read through a bunch of fights.

Would be nice if we could open a topic and be able to discuss sub-topics to keep all sides of the discussion more accessible.

3 Likes

The thing that really intrigues me about the growing number of these threads is that despite literally 100’s of posts the devs don’t to seem to have any interest in them.

Days gone by if something had 50 or so posts and was seriously dividing opinion and causing speculation, or became a topic that spawned many more the devs would Steer the convo…or soothe the fears. Now, well nothing. At all. Ever.

5 Likes

Pretty sure it means they don’t have the time for it since they’re working on bg3. I just hope they’ll give us at least a year’s notice before servers go down, and maybe even they’d consider letting us fund keeping servers online somehow.

I am a little unsure how open source (which won’t happen) would save anything it would simply allow people to make the game as they want … and as you can see from these forums everyone wants something different … so then you wind up with a game that just splinters off.

I do think modding would be great as long as said mods aren’t required to play the game with the rest of the community. It’s not really set up as Minecraft, it also doesn’t have near the player base so creating modpacks isn’t really an option as you would be required to use those mods on a private server versus the current universe there is now.

As far as the only thing that can save the game, that really is a community that plays it … an active Dev team sure can help though.

Lastly, I have totally loved the game granted I just started, but I guess maybe my perspective is different. I have many projects, goals, collections, builds… I could go on… I literally can think of enough to keep me busy and enjoying the game for easily the next year or two with the game just as it is.

3 Likes

Same I also only just started playing

Me too. image

1 Like

I may have some issues.

4 Likes

I’ve probably played 500hrs I play on ps4 so I can’t tell at least to my knowledge

Think the devs just dropped a planet with white rock to shut us up.:joy:

2 Likes

Probably we are very annoying

This goes against my joke but you actually have to pay attention to someone for them to be annoying.:cry:

Fair point also ik it’s a joke

I hope they would too… if it were to come to this, I’d be happy to help out on the funding for sure.

Works for me.
I’ll be spending a few days farming that.

3 Likes

Ultimately, I feel like its the community that keeps any game alive.

I feel like the key focus for boundless should be features that encourage people and the community to work together. Things like meteor hunts and exoworlds, which are both extremely enjoyable and quite unique among the voxel-based games i’ve played.

New weapons are nice, but singleplayer servers and more plot grinds I feel Is a step in the wrong direction.

Things like Dungeons or Titans or New Enemies for meteors/worlds should have been the development priority, things for people to work through beating together.

Even simple features like account limited shop stands which would allow players to build their own dungeons would be a good first step.

5 Likes