How goes the quest to fix footfall?

I find it really hard to believe that it was already broken in the old universe.
I had a few plots in Therka Market, one of the 2 largest cities in old universe and my footfall was totally stable across months. Throughout extended periods of server uptime and a relatively small player base.

1 Like

Are you saying that you will only get footfall after these 24 days have past? Because I’ve been getting footfall perfectly fine - maybe i don’t understand the problem?

I’m with you, unless there truly was a server crash daily during the first month.

Do you have proof of that statement “every 24 hours” cause ive not been able to find hard evidence of that. I did see the chat with the dev in the one thread. However moving a decimal is super easy. And considering they didnt move it that tells me that the 24 days is how its supposed to be. Either way does it really justify a post about it every day?

1 Like

Tooltip said 24 hours.

3 Likes

a few posts down he says it’s been like that since footfall was first implemented.

2 Likes

I know, I’ve read it when it went live.
But my in game experince in the old universe can’t reinforce it.

in my exhaustive testing over about a month just before the road detection patch, it appeared that I was getting footfall every 3-4 days. Based on luca’s explaination that would mean the server was crashing/restarting every 3-4 days.

2 Likes

It’s calculated on a per character basis. Lets say I visit your plot every day without fail.

It is supposed to give you footfall once every 24 hours from that. Currently it gives it once every 24 days instead.

3 Likes

Ahhh thanks for clearing that up!

This post is saying it shouldnt be every 24 hours

it sounds like they want to fix it, the question I guess is when?

1 Like

Yup only question is when, and at that point, how? It’s probably not gonna be X coins every 24 hours with the original values.

1 Like

I find it darkly amusing that we have recently had a whole slew of “nerf footfall, it gives too much money to the lucky few who have plots near portal hubs” posts in the past weeks, but now we are saying “oh dear, footfall is broken and isn’t giving people enough coin!”

Granted, it is probably different people saying the different things, but . . . this is why developers need to take everything we say in the forums with a huge grain of metaphorical salt.

14 Likes

Hey man, hang in there.

The issue here being that too much coin simply means prices go up and people spend more because they have more, but then that also means taxes go up. It balances out. Not enough coin means everyone tightens their belts, spending stops because people feel like they can’t afford things. No spending means no economy and the whole world burns down around our ears while the portal hubs grind to a halt because no one wants to donate stones while they’re poor. Lack of transportation means footfall plummets even more because no one can afford to get anywhere, which cascades into a viscous circle of being too poor to generate coin to buy anything you need and eventually everyone quits. /storytime

4 Likes

Well, sure. I’m all for fixing footfall, and unless/until we have alternative coin faucets in place, I certainly am not one of the ones complaining about it.

I’m just amused that some forum members have been very passionate that footfall has been too strong a coin faucet, and have been campaigning for completely removing it, and now we are finding that footfall has been broken and has been far weaker a faucet than originally intended.

2 Likes

These are 2 separate points though.

1. Footfall, if this is what is designed to be the only input of coin into the economy, needs to “work”

2. Separately… the way footfall is distributed should be fair.

You can believe in both of these things simultaneously.

*I know there are other methods of adding coin to the economy, but it’s so negligible compared to footfall, I ignore it for brevity.

4 Likes

I could sell everything in my bag back when footfall was working’ish, and not at trash can prices.

1 Like

Sadly i’ve experienced this issue once before. It’s why I tried to stop this from happening the very moment i noticed something was wrong.

1 Like