How would you feel about a setting for Settlements that determines buffers?

It’s sticky because how do you know which neighbor has the oldest plots/beacons before you unplot or lower your buffer? If you don’t know and you have the newest space, you lose.

3 Likes

I know this is just another band-aid for the previous band-aid so that’s why I’m going to vote for other. I think the entire plot system itself needs a rework and that’s where I wish they would focus their energies.

Ohhh, yeah now I see the real problem. What a can of worms this has opened!

1 Like

Without re-doing the whole game, there’s no way to implement an entire new plot/real estate system because plots are tied to cubits and $$$.

If there is a logical enough situation that we can work with and adapt, I will. :+1:

1 Like

I voted for pizza because honestly IDK WTF any more.

Whatever I deleted a bunch of stuff that’s only partially relevant, too.

Also remember that if you turn off all of your settlement buffers someone can take you over and turn them back on.

tailchasing

EDIT sorry kelmat even though i know how to change reply status i accidentally replied to you instead of the thread.

3 Likes

If that’s what you got out of the conversation talking to James on how to fix the system, then that sucks. Adapting is the only choice we have so of course that’s what folks who enjoy the game will have to do. Just cements my reasons for building out in the wild away from big builds. Good luck to you guys, I hope something becomes possible.

edit: i thought the goal going forward was to make things less complicated. I don’t know how this system part of the game gets fixed without it being more complicated. I still think this is a way to deal with this entire exact problem and have it be abused/be an issue on a lower scale. I don’t know if it is remotely possible at all though.

This is playing out just like I envisioned it may in the worst case scenario just before it was released.

Looking closer at the idea:

• If it’s only the greater settlement level it will cause grief for smaller annexed settlements. (If someone else can turn your buffer off, it kinda defeats the idea of the whole buffer system)
  • If it’s also on the guild settlement level anyone can just align their beacon to a different guild, change their setting and ruin the city for everyone else. (and that kinda defeats the idea of the whole settlement level toggle)

I changed my vote to no.

But I agree something has to be done to make living in a big city bearable again.

Also: Pizza is winning. :pizza:

3 Likes
  • Who can toggle that setting?
  • Probably the major? What’s going to prevent me from prestiging up my shop at the mall and toggle it on. Just because I can?
  • What’s going to prevent my build from being toggled off? Let’s assume I connect my settlement with player A (we both agree, we both have reservation active). Then, player A misjudges player B, connects with B, B prestiges up, gets major, turns it off, then surrounds me?

While I agree that this would solve your problem… it’s another layer of indirection to make plotting even more complicated.

2 Likes

I know this goes against real-world city/state/country dynamics, but I totally agree :+1: with you. And this is a virtual game…not real life. We shouldn’t be forced to join any settlement.

I think this would be a negative for malls/market “towns” though because we really need everyone to have all buffers on or all buffers off. A lot of the shops have to build up their prestige to get footfall. A lot of them end up becoming their own settlements. Lots of them.

I would really like to save the mall if possible.

Any ideas are welcome. Besides starting over completely. I’d really not like to have to do that. :worried:

1 Like

Yup. I was getting ready to do just that so people could set up a new shop and James stopped me. Whew

2 Likes

So was this feature for the greater settlement? See @Kirinvar’s post. It better communicates what I was concerned with!

I don’t have any answers, just questions.

5 Likes

Then who came up with the suggestion? James? If it was him as an “idea” I think he has the data on why this would not be smart as long as he is tagged or it is passed to him.

At this point, I just wish they’d remove the buffers. We were at least able to work around things pretty much before.

This is starting to stress me out = not fun.

4 Likes

If anything we learn from this patch update, I think if plot changes are added to test, then they need a way to port in builds/plots so that users can design / toy with towns/malls in a way that doesnt require entire things to be rebuilt and the time that involves.

Or have a test server be permanent up at all times so that a test server community can establish and become a thing so we can get intimate testing of changes. It seemed like the farming update benefited from this as quite a few folks were on test at that time and all kinds of things were posted to the forums for people to brainstorm and then folks on test would try to recreate the things being discussed.

If this patch had been tested more thoroughly by day to day players it seems like this whole thing could have been avoided.

2 Likes

1 Like

I think all of us that were testing thought it was a decent idea at first, but the closer it got to going live, and the more we realized the consequences of it, we asked for it to not be implemented or delayed.

1 Like

I’m going to close the poll now because, thanks to everyone’s input I see fatal flaws and can no longer support the idea. Thank you guys.

2 Likes

@Havok40k @Stretchious If you would please close this thread when you have time, that would be awesome. Thank you.

1 Like

Closed at OPs request.