HP bars for the game

That’s not exactly what I wanted to say, my bad^^ I meant more like: For once I understand what you mean and understand where that opinion comes from.

well whenever you read my stuff just remember my one opinion

‘‘If i can ask myself in this MMO if i need to interact with other players for anything and the answer is no, then something is not done right’’

but that is something else.

i just dont want all info because i like a sense of mystery. like a player have to give you his name before you can see it and you cannot just judge your enemies power by looking at him because then the high levels would just faceroll noobs (in case they make pvp)

I agree once more, miracles can happen^^

I dont like HP bars. What I do like is being able to estimate your opponents health. Either by the type of armor they are wearing /what level and class they are, you could tell about how much HP your enemy has left (this could also apply to NPC enemies as well, but with different factors allowing you to estimate). Damage dealt should appear on the screen so you can keep estimating your opponent’s health. This seems a little confusing at first, but once you start learning which factors tell you how much health someone has, fights get entertaining, and full of strategy.

1 Like

I was thinking having a documenting or codex system in which, from a certain distance, you can record and observe wildlife to know their strengths/weaknesses ahead of time.

1 Like

pokedex…

I think there are a lot of different applications for it, and maybe you can even make it different crafting like

basic scouter
shows enemy name and approximate level (if levels are in the game)

advanced scouter
shows enemy name and type, exact level, approximate hp

pro scouter
shows enemy name, type, exact level, exact hp, types of attacks

tracker
identifies types of animals and records them to your OORT log (similar to where achievements are stored)

herbalist tracker
helps players identify flora and fauna and highlights them slightly for gathering

you could only wear one at a time, and again these are all examples, it just seems to me that pretty much everyone thinks the scouter could be pretty cool for a toggle-able and customizable HUD

1 Like

A pokedex-like system is quite a good idea. A record of the creatures you find and get is quite a needed idea. I don’t think the HP bar system would fit. I mean, some FPS have it but I find it to be a commodity. I think that if we add a pokedex system the actual thing will tell us an average HP of an enemy.

1 Like

My personal preference is to minimise the number of game GUIs that are required in the game world (rather than outside the game world). So the more this information can be communicated without health bars the better.

5 Likes

What about this:

A kind of colored aura around creatures that displays their health and condition statuses.

• Green aura = Healthy/Approximately full health
  • Orange aura = Half/ Mid-health
  • Red = Low health

Additionally then, status conditions can be seen by a small animation upon that entity.

• Hoarfrost coat if they are frozen
  • Little flames here and there is they are burning
  • Little green bubbles if they are poisoned.
  • Etc.

For the player status effects can be displayed on the borders of the game screen:

• Hoarfrost border if they are frozen
  • Flames on the border is they are burning
  • Little green bubbles if they are poisoned.
  • Etc.

If you wanted to entirely remove the health bars from even the characters, you could also put the above colored borders on the game screen whilst in combat.

1 Like

maybe for your personal health bar, it could use something similar to how the edges of the screen turn red in FPS games.

I think a coloured cursor like in the Serious Sam series would be the most fitting solution for B<:

Full health

~50%

Almost dead

This would give an indicator for the enemies health that is suited for fast paced fun combat without adding any additional GUIs into the game like standard MMO health bars usually do.
(And it´s probably also relatively easy to add)

Sorry for posting in this old thread but i figured that it would be better than making a separate suggestion thread for it.

6 Likes

Nice. i would generally prefer if it was sort of a bar so each side is 25% HP and you could see by how much was missing how much HP it had left. But again your solution would be great if they went for the sort of “you have a bit of information but not much”

1 Like

I dig that solution. Clean and effective. Though we might run into problems with enemies that are similar or the same color as the cursor is. Any thoughts about how to get around that?

My new thought it that we could just not have any sort of enemy health bars shown, and you have to use your game knowledge and intuition to figure out how much hp they have. Enemy hp bars aren’t really necessary in most cases. Especially little seals (that you club) down with 2-3 hits dont need hp bars. Maybe only like large miniboss to boss level enemies.

I’m always for the Monster Hunter approach to health.
For those who don’t know the series. You can only gauge the health of an enemy creature by how it moves, how aggressive it is and how beaten up it looks like.

But vastars cursor idea would be a good middle ground which I could accept^^

1 Like

Well yeah, but i think i mentioned this before. it also takes a TON more work to do, and EVEN more to do right it has to have different “stages” of beaten up.

2 Likes

I´ve played every Serious Sam game so far and this was never an issue for me (creatures are rarely just plain green/yellow/red) but a little black or white frame around the central dot should do the trick.

This fella probably takes more hits than you can keep track of during the fight (especially if you also have to react to/dodge his attacks). How should you know if it´s time to run or if you can finish it with the rest of your hp?
And what happens if several player attack a creature simultaneously? It´s impossible to keep track of the hits from every player.
Or what if you play as a healing focused character? How would you know which player needs your attention?

I´m also not a fan of the usual mob health bars MMORPGs use but I think some sort of health indicator is definitely necessary.

@KuroKuma ,Yeah the Monster Hunter system would definitely be more awesome than my suggestion but as @Zouls already said, think of all the additional work that would be required to make 2-3 different sets of behavior for each creature.

2 Likes

i think KH is kind of a good example, you didnt know how much hp an enemy had unless you equipped a passive. It got very awkard to fight bosses without it on, because you had no clue on how close you were to winning. and suddenly you just killed it. HP indications are kinda necessary.

1 Like

Personally, I prefer the more subtle information methods. More HUDs and GUIs make game feel more cluttered and about the numbers and less about the environment, story, and lore. I know the functionality of a game deals with precise numbers, but the player/character knowing and interacting with the numbers had always seemed out of place to me.

A colored reticle is a great idea. Changing graphics at certain damage levels is nice but potentially resource heavy. This could possibly be handled with mannerism and posture changes. Not knowing how the coding is being handled I can’t say which would be less intensive.

1 Like

I really like this idea. Not only will it give miscellaneous stats but It can be used in conjunction with an Item that lets you see HP. This will also help the lore a lot which I love most in a game.