Hunting Bot

Some of you might be familiar with the Protector bot from the Portal Seekers server. I’ve separated the hunt notification functionality from the rest of the bot and am now providing it as a public bot for anyone to use on their discord server.

OAuth2 link, command documentation, and source code are here: https://github.com/Simoyd/ProtectorVenari

Only people with the “Oortling” and “Oortian” role on the main discord https://discord.gg/6Tsn7EZ can send out a notification with the !hunt command. Please don’t abuse this as it ping multiple discords and helps people know when a hunt is happening! If you want to find out if people are available to hunt, feel free to use the command! If you want to be notified when others want to hunt, use the !hunter command to give yourself the role that gets pinged.

All feedback is welcome!

11 Likes

I’m not sure what I need to done %)

ah sorry, the git markup filtered out some stuff in the readme that I didn’t notice until now. I’ve updated it:

You currently need to specify the role for the bot to ping when a hunt notification happens. That being said, I think I can add a feature tonight that will allow the bot to send a message to a channel without pinging a role.

So, step-to-step example:

1. Invite bot to your server by link.
  2. Make a hunt’s channel on your server where bot will post messages.
    Make a role for hunters. Be sure they can see the channel.
    Make a role for bot with rights to change roles and post to the channel. Be sure this role is above previous hunter’s role to rule it.
  3. Write “!listroles” at any channel on your server. Bot will send a private message to you.
    Copy an id of hunter’s role from PM.
  4. Write at the hunt’s channel “!config hunt <id_of_your_hunter’s_role>”.
    If you did all right, bot will answer: “Hunt notifications will ping <hunter’s_role> in channel <hunt’s_channel> on this server.”

So now everybody on server can write “!hunter” at any channel bot can read. Bot will assign hunter’s role to this people. Be sure you made second step correctly!

4 Likes

Added support for notifications without role ping. (use “!config hunt norole” in the channel you want the notification in)

Filter for !hunt config mistakes. Now asks if you intended “!config hunt”

Now including calling user in notification message. Users can have their roles removed on main discord to prevent abuse.

1 Like

It looks easy enough but i still cannot get it happening…I got pm message…but from there its down hill. Any guide from there what am i missing

Tips in case you get stuck:

1. You must have a role with Administrator permissions to use the “!config hunt <role>” command. Owner does not count.
  2. You must assign the bot to the bot role you create in step 2 of @Okkelinor’s instructions. (I was tired, but I got it working without @Simoyd’s help this time!)

Also !test allows you to send a message with the bot that does not ping the @hunter role.
And you only need the citizen role in Boundless Discord to send hunt announcements. To get this role, just @moderators something like “Can I please be a citizen?”

Having Protector Venari active in your server currently prevents anybody but him pinging the @hunter role, and will fill your moderation log with spam showing him turning on/off the ability to ping that role each time he does so.
Simoyd is eventually™ going to fix this very minor issue.

2 Likes

what did I do wrong?

@JDGroat it’s most likely:

1 Like

How do I do that?

1. Create a new role.
  2. Assign it admin permission.
  3. Assign yourself that role.
  4. Try !config hunt again.

EDIT: I see you managed to get it working, but for future reference:

Lol ok. Thank you for the help

got to this point and now I’m stuck lol anyone help?

I believe your all set. The only thing you would need from here is to be a citizen in the official discord and set your default message

It looks like the config command went through, but if the bot does not have a separate role with “manage roles” permission that is above your Hunter role, then it can’t assign your Hunter role to other people when they do the !hunter command.

So how do I do that? I’m getting confused with it all lol actually got headache because over thinking it lol

1 Like

Thank you and I think I done it

1 Like

You rock <3

When I run !hunt config I just get an nope emoji response. Any ideas?