This is idea I had a few months back that I have not had the time to get around to working on or building out more, but since I am also considering authenticated APIs for other things, I figured it would be a great time to bring this up again. @james mentioned a while back when I brought the idea up that it would be good to bring it up to community and see what they think. Kind of let them help me design it.
Most people have seen the Discord bot Protector Venari in various Discord servers to announce Hunts. It is great and wonderful, but it requires you to have a Discord account so many players (especially PSN players) get left out. I had an idea of a “next generation” Hunt tracker to work in addition to Protector Venari (I do not want to replace the bot as many people have take the time to set it up on their Discord servers and I do not want to lessen that effort people have made).
The thought was to have
- Protector Venari for the people that use Discord
- A Forum “bot” that you could DM and tell them the details of a hunt
- A form on Boundlexx UI you could submit hunts too
This would allow me to aggregate all of the hunts into Boundlexx and then I could do the following so we can get the details of hunts out to as many players as possible (all in addition to the Protect Venari hunt pings):
- Auto-post them to the forums similar to how we auto-post Exoworlds right now (probably under a new Hunts/Events category)
- Provided them via the Boundlexx REST API
- Provide Discord Notifications via Webhooks for anyone that does not want Protector Venari (bots can be hard to set up)
- A dynamically generated calendar that you can view on Boundlexx UI or that you can import into your favorite calendar app on your phone etc. so you can automatically get notifications for Hunts as they happen.
I would love to see everyone’s thoughts and feedback on the idea!
EDIT: Also something I would really love feedback on is thoughts for how to handle the forum posting. Do you think it would be better…
- to have a forum thread per hunt event?
- to have a single thread for all hunts and just add new comments to the post
- to have a single thread per hunt organizer?
I can see it any of the ways but I do not want the hunts to become too “spamy”.