I am making an uber-basic tutorial webpage for noobs, I am looking for content authors

‘microtransactions’ is a trigger word these days :smiley: even when technically correct, I’d use something that doesn’t scare the average new player

also add something about ‘expired beacon looting etiquette’. I had to ask a few ppl before I was reasonably sure what to do in such cases

1 Like

Suggestion: How to use the compass section
I’m sure this was covered in the tutorial someplace but I quickly forgot what everything meant and frankly would be hard-pressed to tell you every icon that shows on it even now.

2 Likes

Suggestion: I’m Struggling… FAQ Section
Maybe have this in sections by level range? 1-10, 11-20, etc. In some cases variations of the same questions in each level range.

• It takes so many hits to break blocks
  • I keep getting killed by creatures
  • I can’t find the items for my objectives
  • I’m always out of coin
  • I can’t see/breathe
1 Like

The wording on this one, leaves some room for confusion. May I suggest replacing this line with a statement that includes the exact name of the skills referenced to avoid confusion. Perhaps:

“Opening a portal requires the “Portal Epic” skill earned through leveling up. Portals with distances beyond 2 blinksecs will require skill ranks in the additional skill “Warp and Portal Distance” with more tiers required for greater distances.”

These skills are confusing with portals and warps being similar yet very different and there’s a lot of misinformation floating around about them. When starting out and asking about Exos I was told repeatedly by different sources that to even teleport to an Exo I would need the Portal Epic skill. I know now this is false and portals can’t reach an Exo, only warps, making the portal epic skill unnecessary for Exos.

1 Like

A good point to make also is to make at least1 alt for all your crafting needs. So newbies can focus on their main skills and not worry about crafting skills.

1 Like

Good edit, changed
You’re a good technical writer :blush: want to help author some of the sections?

Also now how to use the chat and its options.
And the other possibility’s like discord (mainly and because its easiest to use), PSN (community) and forums.

Finally one small tip i would add avoid the 2 plot purchases at the start or later on. 5 or more is your best option. (Objective also completes when you buy the 5 plots).

And i would mention every lvl gained ups your cubit reward. Up to lvl 50 (300 cubits) and that you can + lvl past 50.
Some already hit lvl 50+ 1000 times and gaining 300 cubits for every 50+.

Have had times that these are main questions that are asked. Just like how many skill points you can gain. And how it exactly works.

The Shop Scanner:
The shop scanner is the name for a function in the knowledge base. If you’re in need of some bone, you can use this function to find shops selling bones! (Keep in mind that the scanner doesn’t show colors or forges on items, so the shop scanner is mostly used for items that don’t have either)

To use the shop scanner, go to the main menu, then open the knowledge base. Search for the item you’re looking for. Once you click on the item, there will be 3 tabs. The first is the recipes tab, which we’re not using for now. The second tab will show you the top 10 cheapest shops selling the item you’ve selected. The shops are sorted by price (cheapest first). The third tab shows you all shops buying this resource through request baskets.

When you find a shop that sells the item you want, with the right price, click on the shop-name, and way-point will show you how far away from the shop you are and what direction you should go in. You can do the same for when you’re selling items to a request basket.

The shop scanner is planet-wide, but not universe wide! Sometimes you have to go to a few planets to find what you are looking for. Happy shoppingAl!

Creatures:

As you begin to progress in Boundless you will find that the more complex materials require components that cannot be farmed or mined. Bones, creature organs, tallow, blood, leather, and creature trophies originate from, you guessed it, creatures! Higher tier planets will yield more resources from the creatures found there, however, the creatures will also be tougher and possibly elementally infused. (See Elements) These drops because of their demand and the method of gathering them can be exceptionally lucrative, certain trophies can be worth thousands in coin. (See the section on “Knowledge Tab” to learn how to check the buy/sell prices) As you explore planets, kill the creatures you encounter. A gold fist is a good choice as a hunting tool early on, and remains viable into the tier 4 planets. Beyond that more advanced elemental weapons or forged fists are recommended to overcome the elemental creature variants and more difficult creatures.

Wildstock:

All wildstock are generally passive and require provocation before they will attack, they attack by rearing back and rushing the player with a headbutt. Regen bombs will count as provocation, as well as firing a weapon or striking at any other nearby creatures regardless of whether they are hostile or not. Note that when spawned by a meteor these creatures are aggressive and will seek out players to attack.

Spitters:

Most spitters, except those on the Tier 1 planet, will be hostile. Spitters launch projectiles from their snouts. These projectiles can sometimes be singularly fired, rapid fired directly at their target, or sprayed in a fan pattern. Spitters can also launch bombs which will damage all players within range when the bomb impacts.

Hoppers:

Small and round, hoppers are amblitory bouncing bombs. They will arm themselves when the player comes within range, although this takes them a few seconds during which they are vulnerable to attack. Once armed the hopper will make a high pitched whistling sound, then try to detonate itself beside the player. If the hopper is defeated after having armed they will still detonate. It is therefore advisable to eliminate them either before they arm, or with ranged weapons once they have armed. Hoppers will drop volatile blood instead of the other blood types. Hopper Cores and Hopper Eyes are among the more valued crafting materials.

Cuttletrunk:

Cuttletrunks are flying tentacled creatures that will attempt to bombard the player with projectiles and beam lasers from above. They can employ multiple cluster bombs which will then each split into even more bombs all of which will detonate simultaneously. Elite variations also have an ability to levitate the player up and drop them to the ground inflicting fall damage on the player. Ranged weapons work well for eliminating cuttletrunks.

Roadrunner:

Fast and noisy the roadrunner is always non-aggressive and does not spawn from meteor portals. If a roadrunner detects a player nearby it will begin to squawk at the player then will make a mad dash away from the player at high speed. They will sprint until the player is no longer within threat range then return to their passive stance. It can be useful to grapple a roadrunner to keep it within range of either a fist or slingbow. Roadrunners will damage themselves when trying to climb cliffs and will suffer fall damage if they fall from a great height onto a hard surface, they can also be chased into lava. A persistent player can often run them to death even if they are unable to target the roadrunner. Roadrunner drops include adrenal glands, roadrunner feather, and lean meat which are exclusively obtained from the roadrunner. Additionally roadrunners can drop raw oortstone, which is only otherwise obtainable from meteors.

1 Like

Meteor Hunts:

One of the most efficient means of gathering the creature based materials in Boundless is meteor hunting. On planets Tier 3 and above you will occasionally see meteors in the sky. Some meteors are generated on a timer, others are triggered by players entering a region that was previously unoccupied. Following the meteor to its impact site will initiate a battle. Bigger player counts in the region where the meteor spawns gives higher tier meteors with scaling rewards. The loot boxes from meteors, like the creature drops, are instanced so you do not need to worry about stealing from others.

You will earn one “Meteor Life” as you come into range of an active meteor after the first creature is killed, whether you killed it or not, and a few portals will open in the air. Creatures will begin to drop in from these portals. It is important to note that all the portal spawned creatures (even wildstock, which are usually docile elsewhere) will aggressively hunt the player. The battle is completed either by all the players being defeated and losing their “Meteor Life” buff or all the creatures being defeated. This is another reason to hunt with multiple players, as it requires more players to be defeated before the meteor is abandoned. The health bar on the meteor displays an indication of the fight remaining, allowing players to gauge how far into the fight they are. Abandoned meteors will still yield a fraction of the rewards, so are worth looting. Meteors will yield a random assortment of loot including: Raw Oortstone, gemstones, fossils, ancient devices, and metal ores. Additionally Tier 5 and 6 planets have a rare prestige crop, sentinel crest (matching the planet’s native gleam color), included in the drop table, and on Tier 7 there is a chance of getting lucent ores. Watch the universal chat channels in game, and the boundless discord channels for information on when and where hunting groups assemble.

1 Like

Each of these writings could have summary with some pictures that could work as cheat sheet.

For example something like this could help identifying portals and warps.

||Warp|Portal|||
|—|—|—|—|—|—|
||Temporarily Warp that is ready for use

| Closed portal
|
| Build from | Warp Conduits | Portal Conduits |
| Active | Temporary
60s | Permanent
As long as it is fueled |
| Cost | Costs Coins | Hosting costs Oort
Others can use it free |
| Max
distance | 50 blinksecs | 25 blinksecs |
| Availability | From start of game| Around 20 hours of solo playing?
Or trading with players
| Usual uses | To get fast saved locations and beacons.
Able to get Exo planets. | For permanent base, shops, links to portal networks. |
| Other | | Requires Portal Epic -skill
Oort cost based on portal size
|

2 Likes

Man they really do look quite similar in screenshots.
Maybe the devs should make them a little more different looking? Might help noobs, I don’t know

I just call them Dark Gray vs Light Gray? I think the pattern is identical but when placed it’s fairly obvious.

1 Like

Some are now online!

It’s too bad there wasn’t a game wiki where all of this could go. Other games have wikis where you can just look it up.

3 Likes

There is one actually but I donno if anyone uses it. It’s @Stretchious right? Can we steal some tutorials from you if we attribute them?

The “official” wiki at https://boundless.gamepedia.com/Boundless_Wiki gets between 300 and 350 hits per day (although it’ll go over 1000 when there’s some kind of sale on).

Believe me, the people who have spent much of their free time trying to keep it up to date would appreciate the contributions.

2 Likes

It would be great if this info was added here (if not already)

I would like to help with some chisel building tutorials.